Bitmap Font Edit

Community Forums/Showcase/Bitmap Font Edit

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have recently finished a Bitmap Font Editor, but haven't been connected for a while, but here is a link to it, for anyone who want to try out a demo version. (no save functions)

http://www.zac-interactive.dk/applications/BFE_DEMO.zip

The price for it haven't been set yet, but I am thinking about $20. Feedback are welcome both here and on email.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#2]
Looks pretty impressive, couldn't get to stencil to work though

Daz(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yeah - I couldn't get the stencil to work either. Also, if I changed the default gradient colour then applying that gradient wouldn't work. I am not sure if that is because it is just a demo version or not though.

Apart from that I really like what I see. I hope you do decide to release it. I personally think $20 is a good price. I could see myself using this program a lot.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#4]
cool stuff... I wish you luck because I've been using Fontext which is insanely cool and has my seal of approval. It's also been in several commercial games - take a look here:

www.playerfactory.co.uk

Maybe you can get some ideas? basically fontext does ALL the hard work for me. I can have glows, alpha, anything from any font - and fontext turns it into true 3D, 2D and bitmap fonts with playback libs, HUD library, giles plugins, animation library etc... it packs the font really efficiently to your specifications too.

Does yours have the raw speed of fontexts?
If yours can beat fontext then I'll take a look...

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#5]
I have no idea about how this one compaires to Fontext, I have never tried that one. From the brief glance tells me that Fontext might not have some of the features of this one. But I am sure that the codebase that comes with it is far more advanced than any of the example code I have for this. I never actually though about having an extensive code base as I was thinking that this could be used by anyone making shareware games or demo type stuff regardless of language and then a stack of blitz code wouldn't really benifit those other guys :)

As far as the stencil and gradient goes, then you have to make sure you do it correctly, it should work by filling out the color you have chosen for your LMB with the stencil or gradient. But there could be some issues with certain functions still though. I will look into this. Thanks for trying it out.

Daz(Posted 2004) [#6]
From what I remember of Fontext, Zawran's Bitmap Font Editor does a little bit more in terms of being able to edit the font at a pixel level (i.e. using a simple paint package type approach) treating each character making up the font individually whereas Fontext approach is to enable the functions such as colour, gradient fill, font outline to the entire font at any one time.

I agree that the Fontext example code/add-on libs are really cool, but it is a mature product whereas BFE is still in its infancy. I am sure Zawran can - provided he still plans on releasing it commercially - add advanced example code at a later date.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#7]
What does this do that paint shop pro doesn't?

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#8]
Cool, 20 might be a bit high, but not to far by anymeans. Once the stencil bug is fixed, its something Ill put forward to people I know who need it. Good job

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#9]
In essence I guess that this doesn't do anything that Paint Shop Pro doesn't, but it is more specific to making fonts only. I have tried to include some simple one click features that could make it easy for non graphic people to make some nice looking font.

[edit] Due to feedback recieved by one of the beta testers I had initially, I have narrowed down the stencil/gradient problem, and yes it does seem to have a problem under certain circumstances. I will be bug hunting for this problem tonight now that I know which conditions gives this problem. And I will upload a new demo for download tomorrow if I get it fixed.

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#10]
I got the bug out that prevented the stencil and gradient from working if using a custom color and not one from the palette. I have updated the demo package on my website, its still on the same link.

Daz(Posted 2004) [#11]
Hi Zawran,

Just wanted to say I downloaded the new version and it fixes all the problems I was having.

Looking forward to the release version.

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#12]
thanks, as soon as I get the online payment sorted out, hopefully within a week.

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#13]
I just got a mention in the DBP newsletter, pretty pleased about that. Still looking into getting the full version online for sale, but it have dragged a bit along lately.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#14]
trying yours out too zawran but based on blood's glowing review I just bought fonttext. :)

Warren(Posted 2004) [#15]
What does this do that paint shop pro doesn't?

Costs $20.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#16]
fontext just converts existing fonts by adding borders and stuff... correct? Docs suck, beak. :) It doesn't actually allow you to do any painting in the program itself if I am looking at it correctly.

Seems to me a combination of fontext with yours, Zawran would be the best choice.

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#17]
I haven't tried out the Fontext one, but from what I hear the code library that comes with it is more advanced than what I supply with this one. But yes, I don't believe that there are much of any editing facilities in the Fontext one aside from borders and gradient.