MMORPG Released Open Source

Community Forums/Showcase/MMORPG Released Open Source

ckob(Posted 2004) [#1]
I am releasing the Last version of the MMORPG Source I use to sell. I am releasing it under the General GPL license for non-commercial use and I hope that people can learn from this code. I have cleaned it up in the past but it still remains a little sloppy, im hoping that maybe this can become a public project and we can all add to it but who knows. All I ask is that you give me a little credit and if you make anythig cool or have any questions email me ckob at adelphia.net.

You will need the following to successfully run the code

Blitz3d
blitz+ (Server)
Internet Explorer to read the help files
Blitzplay pro 1.0 or higher

Heres the directory with screenshots and the zips
http://www.banished-studios.com

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
cool, thanks for sharing!

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#3]
Nice! I'll def have a look at this :D Thanks!

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#4]
I am downloading it!

ckob(Posted 2004) [#5]
hey no problem :)

Mousey(Posted 2004) [#6]
This is also of great interest to me, many thanks ckob!

ckob(Posted 2004) [#7]
im going to start a small FAQ here that I will update as questions come in.

Q:Is this a full game?
A: I wish! no this was about 40% done when the dev team pulled the plug.

Q:do you hope to finish the project?
A: Well eventually yes but like I stated in the post Im hoping this can be a community effort to finish this mmorpg and who knows maybe give blitz a little something to show.

Q:Wasn't this the engine being sold at mmorpgce.com
A: Nope Servant source code was sold orignally by me, at the time I charged for it so i could offer email support. This source code is not related to mmorpgce in anyway.

Q: Can we use any of the models in our own projects for comemrcial use?
A:I released some models awhile back that are used in Servant and I stated that they could be used for whatever the user saw fit so the models I released before that are in the Servant pack can still be used for whatever purpose. however the source code,characters, sprites can not be used for commercial use.

Q:If I want to use this for commercial use what must I do
A: heh I doubt theres really enough here to do such a thing but in such a case email me at ckob@... and we can work something out.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#8]
now I have recieved my 3rd email asking how to compile Servant, I dont support it anymore and if you cant compile it you probebly shuoldnt be trying to work on an mmo style game, Also the server is made in blitzplus if you dont have it you can still run it but you will need to strip out the Blitzplus specific code mainly the GUI stuff.

SideBurn(Posted 2004) [#9]
no1 can compile it cuz u left out main.bb

ckob(Posted 2004) [#10]
no if you read the help file included it will tell you that test.bb is the main file.

Berserker [swe](Posted 2004) [#11]
Well it looks good to me.
Tell me if theres anything you want me to help you with!
Is there a server or is it only LAN-compatible ?

Thanks for sharing!
Keep up the good work!

ckob(Posted 2004) [#12]
im not working on the project anymore but feel free to continue it, the server is
http://www.banished-studios.com/servant/TSServer.zip

it requires blitzplus althought as ive said a blitz3d version wouldnt be to hard

Berserker [swe](Posted 2004) [#13]
Ok well, too bad that youve quit...
The thought of cooperating on a game thrills me.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#14]
yeah, its hard to keep a team going espiecally on something this size I hope someone learns something from this source

Chroma(Posted 2004) [#15]
Hey Ckob...my old team worked on a licensed Tunnels and Trolls MMORPG. We also scrapped it after 3 months. MMO's are very difficult to code let alone creating all the models, worlds, and content to fill it. I think the key to writing a successful MMORPG in blitz is to make it soooo modular that you can add to it in "mini-expansions" while you create it. I would be interested in working on a project like this but only on a recognized fantasy brand. It takes all the guess work and content creation out. What you do is look for a miniscule rpg game that kinda well know...and tackle that. I'm not a T&T fan and I thought that the combat sucked horribly.

Also, I think one main person working on the game will drag it out for freaking years (Freeworld). Heck, by the time you get the game made, all the models and graphics are out dated or not up to par.

I've worked extensively with multiplayer in blitz3d. I coded the multiplayer for WarTanks and AirWar 1946 (demos). I also coded a game match server that let people find other's games and join them.

Bottomline, if you're wanting to work together on a modular MMO then I'll definitely like to contribute. We just have to find an existing rpg game that will let us have a spin at creating it.

Peace!

ckob(Posted 2004) [#16]
chroma, that dosnt sound like a bad idea, I always thought about making something along the lines of Dungeon siege only because of the games simplicity when it comes to player movement and camera contol, plus that game has a 8 player limit per server and the characters stats are saved globally which eliminates the Massive part. send me an email at ckob@... if your intrested in working on something.

Chroma(Posted 2004) [#17]
Ok, I'll shoot you an email. I think it'd be cool to use the old D&D Basic Set rules to use at first for content but make it so we can change it later. That'd make it way easier and let us pretty much write a basic design doc and start coding.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#18]
I await your email

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#19]
Maybe GURPS would be a good RPG to get licensed? It has the advantage of be fantasy or Scifi with no change to character design combat or anything. IMHO, the bessed system ever made. Its also Skill based, no levels, wich seems totally natural to computer based gamming. Even the math in the game system is computer friendly, not as abstract as many other games, movement and range is in yards, and there are formulas for just about every situation you could come up with. It is now sort of defunct so could probably license cheaply enough.

P.S. I to would be very interested in assisting in this, My strength is interfaces and problem solving. Working on 3D modeling, as that seems to be the hard part of a project to get filled. :)

ckob(Posted 2004) [#20]
not entirly sure what our on about but gurps looks pretty kool

ckob(Posted 2004) [#21]
this is still up for download if anyone wants it. I will be taking it down in a week

ckob(Posted 2004) [#22]
I decided to reopen my old webpage and start selling some models I made awhile back, These Models are very low priced for all you independent developers out there and I am also giving my RPG Essentials model pack away for free which contains 45 models of buildings,weapons and misc items. If you would like to see these models follow the link below

http://www.banished-studios.com/

popcade(Posted 2004) [#23]
I can provide file host for 3 servers with over 1 year hosting, I hope I can help even only a little.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#24]
great can you email me at ckob@... so we can sort that out.

popcade(Posted 2004) [#25]
I'm clearing my space, then I'll try to contact you.
One is about 30MB, another is 50MB, last is unknown(my friend's server), currntly I'm preparing for exam and will try to make them OK soon.

Tim(Posted 2006) [#26]
i have a dedicated server to mirror it, this is really great!

please send mail to satch.guitar@...

ckob(Posted 2006) [#27]
year old topic..
anyway im not hosting or doing anything with this

http://sourceforge.net/projects/servant

LogBomb(Posted 2008) [#28]

ckob(Posted 2008) [#29]
your best bet is to convert the net code to something else, Blitzplay is virtually none existent anymore. I did have permission from Surreal to package blitzplay 1.0 and the spline library with the source but never got around to hunting down blitzplay and spline.bb.

LogBomb(Posted 2008) [#30]

nawi(Posted 2008) [#31]
By the way, I don't think it is possible to release it with "GPL for non-commercial use". You could use one of the creative commons licenses.

Destroyer(Posted 2008) [#32]
What ever happend to Surreal ?

*(Posted 2008) [#33]
I have only got BlitzPlay Pro 2.1 here, if you can get Surreal to email me telling me that its ok to release it free then I would post it in the code archives.

ckob(Posted 2008) [#34]
well when he gave me permission to use 1.0 it was because it was very outdated and had a ton of bug fixes so I doubt the same applies for 2.1

LogBomb(Posted 2008) [#35]

ckob(Posted 2008) [#36]
someone I spoke with actually converted servant to blitzplay 2.2 ill see if he will release that code.

LogBomb(Posted 2009) [#37]
someone I spoke with actually converted servant to blitzplay 2.2 ill see if he will release that code.

That was me. Although I never released the code, since you can't purchase Blitzplay 2.2 anymore.

Anyway, I managed to convert the engine to Blitzplay lite 1.14, which has an unrestricted license (unlike blitzplay 2.2). The engine has been re-released with these and other changes under a new license that is more permissive, thanks to Kim Lavoice. The thread can be found here:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=85718