IronWill (2d shooter demo)

Community Forums/Showcase/IronWill (2d shooter demo)

Phantom1029(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

Here is a small version of the game I am working on. I only have 2 computers which are relatively high end (about 2ghz each), and I would like to see what kind of performance the game gets on maybe lower spec computers. Any comments, FPS counts, and any other feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am also concerned about the difficulty level of the game. (too easy, hard, etc.)

The game has the ability to save replays, so it would be REALLY great if you could email me your replays to ironwill AT thecorrelation.com. (replace AT with @) To make sure the replays work correctly, please name the file with your score in it. (replays are still a bit fishy!)

somewhat old screenshot, still a good indication of what your downloading... See sig for even more details about the game. This is a WORK IN PROGRESS, many sounds have not been added.

(6MB download)
http://www.thecorrelation.com/downloads/IronWillDemo.zip

thanks in advance

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#2]
I sent you an e-mail with a replay!

Like I said in the e-mail, I think the replay option is quite good. I guess you only store what the player does and the computer controlled enemies always do the same, so playing a replay is just like playing the game except that the player input is read from the file? The game itself I like too, though perhaps it can be improved by adding more sound effects, making it a bit more lively in that respect (and providing more feedback for instance when your bullets hit an enemy). Oh sorry, I see you already mentioned the sound effects!

I got an FPS of 62 (Windows XP, 1.7 Ghz, 32 Mb Radeon 9700).

Phantom1029(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yeah, the replays are just stored input of the player. So if you look at the file in notepad or something you will see all the different codes i used for it like "U" for up and so on. I have yet to find an easier way to do this, or more importantly, a more reliable way to do this. Problem is, for some reason there may be a replay that is off by maybe a few points or a hundred points. The difference is not too bad, but it gets on my nerves.

Thanks for the replay!

big10p(Posted 2004) [#4]
You're not using any kind of random factor to control the sprites, then?

Elf(Posted 2004) [#5]
If he's using RND, as long as the seed's the same, the same "random" numbers will come out anyway..?!

Phantom1029(Posted 2004) [#6]
You're not using any kind of random factor to control the sprites, then?

The enemies are not random, if that is what you are asking? I do record the seed so that if I do use a rnd function somewhere it does come out the same. It still isn't perfect though for some reason. For example, if I record a session on a computer and play it back on the same computer it usually works, but if i take that same file and play it on another computer, it will work, but the score may be off by a little bit, etc. I based everything on a frame count, but I think I may have stuff based on time somewhere that may still affect it somehow, resulting in slightly imperfect playback.

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#7]
I think it was mentioned on this forum and/or on Blitzcoder (for instance by Morduun who was trying to write a new "random" function) that the random number functions, using the same seed, for some reason do not always return the same values on different computers. Depending on what you do with those numbers this might explain why the enemies do not move the same on different computers.

Phantom1029(Posted 2004) [#8]
I think it was mentioned on this forum and/or on Blitzcoder (for instance by Morduun who was trying to write a new "random" function) that the random number functions, using the same seed, for some reason do not always return the same values on different computers. Depending on what you do with those numbers this might explain why the enemies do not move the same on different computers.

Really? I always thought something was iffy about it, i still need to check my code to make sure I don't use it for anything "important". I use it mostly for explosion particles, backgrounds, the stuff that does not matter gameplay wise. There could be something in there. Thanks

big10p(Posted 2004) [#9]
Yeah, I'd stay away from Rnd/Rand for this kind of thing, even if you're using the same seed - that's what I was getting at.

You could always fill an array/bank with pre-calculated random numbers (read from a file, say) and then you can be sure random numbers will be the same, regardless of machine.

semar(Posted 2004) [#10]
Random integer number generator works fine for me, and I get the same results on different machines. If you want, you can check my asteroids clone - link in my sig. Basically it can record and play a whole game session. There are 3 sessions already recorded on my pc, and the movement are saved in a plan text file. These sessions play flawlessy on every pc so far.

The asteroids move in a random way, and the seed is picked from the file itself.

I did have difficulty to replay the game in the same way, but that was not due to random number generation.

Instead, if you use sin and cos, then these values can give slight different results on different machines. But what have driven me mad, was that the 2D image command ImageWidth and ImageHeight can also give different result, due to different behaviour of the gfx cards - yes believe me. A difference of 1 pixel makes a big difference when you check for collision. It's something related with colors, I guess.

So my advices are:
1) use a lookup table for sin() and cos()
2) use a pre-calculated value for imagewidth() and imageheight() if you use that.

Sergio.

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#11]
Nice game. WOuld have prefered keydown instead of keyhit for shooting.