kid X

Community Forums/Showcase/kid X

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#1]
after spitting my dummy out several times over this and giving up and going to the pub, i finaly had another go at collisions and a smartish camera..this uses temp gfx as i need a swift kick up the arse to get going on these...or better than that the missus having another go at me coz the kids want there game...or i could just get out of the house and take the fish for a walk..(note to self...get a dog)

download the ZipFile 4.04 mb for a mess about
---------------------------------------------------
by the way, while im here
does any body have any code or a advice on a basic lighting set up they use...coz mine aint so good,also anything info about particles i think this is the thing i need to get smoke and dust, i also need some shadows ive seen swifts demo..that looks cool

Steve C ™(Posted 2004) [#2]
I quite liked what you've done so far. The character looks cool. The jumping is a bit dodgy like you say, but thats usually a problem with a lot of games!
What exactly is the game going to be about?

Keep up the good work anyway :)

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#3]
i know the jump is realy dodgy...i have about 6 others, it needs major work...

spec from kids... game is about manga type robots invading and kid x has been geneticly engineered to sort them out..you know the normal stuff..but this could take a while its only just dawned on me how much is involved and how many headaches there are

SopiSoft(Posted 2004) [#4]
i like the character-animation so far! :-)

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#5]
Running like a pain in the arse on the old system, not very different from my own code. I better get back to this soon. Perhaps the camera is moving a bit too slowly.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#6]
Hi Tiler,

Love KidX - character looks great.

The jump is not that bad on my machine, although he opccasionally slips as he starts to walk forwards.

I especially like it when you get to the edge of a platform and KidX kinda steps off - cool.

It would be nice if your character had a shadow.

IPete2.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#7]
Hi Guys

@ebusiness...i like the camera moving slow it shows of the character from the sides and front...any faster and all you see is the back of his head

@ipete2 yeh ive noticed the slip as well, you wouldnt believe how long and how much of a headache the falling of platforms has been,...and yeh shadows i need shadows

im guna need some sort of fps counter to keep it at 30 fps soon as well...back to the castle demo for this

oh and also while im on the scrounge does any body know or have any code they will give to a poor old man for using 8 way scrolling with the joypad..like up go forward left go left..and so on, instead of using left/right to rotate, up to move..i mean i cant get my head round the rotating the character to match the joyinput or keyinput (did that make any sense:|

so much i need,i need this, i need that....i need a beer

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#8]
Looks very cool. I recommend sswift's system for shadows, and Lotus for particle effects.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#9]
thanks joe i downloaded noels lotus at first glance it will do what i want but it looks way over my head at the moment,and swifts shadows..looks cool...

by the way does any one notice this...if you run against a wall and keep running at it the whole thing shakes...i cant figure this bug out also is anyone trying this on a radeon 9700 coz mine keeps freezing up at random when i run it

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#10]
Hi Tiler,

Great looking game so far (screenshots). Having problems downloading though, will try again tomorrow.

With regards to your questions, you can`t go far wrong with Swifts Shadow System which is very easy to use and also Particle Candy also very easy to use and produces quality results. Oh and maybe try increasing the main characters EntityRadius setting. This may cure your shake problem.

Good luck,
Jason.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#11]
cheers Quicksilva..
will google particle candy and check it out..tried increasing the radius..didnt solve it..worth a try though..i just cant figure it out
i just tried the download and it worked fine..slow all of a sudden but worked..server stuff

edit[] wow on particle candy. does swifts shadows work on animated models or is it a static shadow

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#12]
Swift shadows work just as well on animated .b3d format models and will really increase the look of your game and give it a nice solid feel.

Jason.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#13]
jason do you use it...i downloaded the demo looks impresive,i would like to see it in action on an animated run around do you know of any demos that use it...and any tutorials as id have to get the $20 version first...with limited support and me being a bit of a newb

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#14]
Tiler see private email :)

Jason.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#15]
I really like the aniamtions and basic controls that are there. Keep this one going please! :)

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#16]
quicksilva thanks for the little demo....i gota have swifts shadows system..awesome stuff

cheers ShatteredReality
i will try to at least get a demo..but i dont know how you guys do it on your own...sooo many headaches, ive still got loads of gfx that need doing, bugs bugs and more bugs...

poopla(Posted 2004) [#17]
If you need any help code wise, email me at mdconaway1 at hotmail dot com(spammail protected).

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#18]
thanks Shattered

help i need more than help...i need someone to take over the damn codeing...leaving me to do the gfx..my heads melting...im not upto the job..or i think im just having a bad day/week...collisions are the curse of mankind !

edit[] im just feeling sorry for myslef today and im havin a rant ;)

edit2[] now the missus is having a go at me coz i didnt flag the patio over the weekend.."but love it was hot and i was chillin" reply "CHILLIN CHILLIN what the HELL is CHILLIN"...boy am i on a roll

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#19]
Tiler,

I live near by - if I can help I will.

IPete2.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#20]
Ipete2 can i get back to u on this..as i might be sackin what ive done on the code so far and startin again...i think ive ballsed it up on the character design in a major way, i didnt plan anything i just went at it like a bull in china shop

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#21]
Plan.
Plan.
Organise.
Plan ... and did I mention Pie! I mean Plan?

IPete2.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#22]
pie sounds good...i know at my age i shud know better i think im guna have to do the character again from scratch

ah well at least i learnt somthing...im no gud at coding

doctor fonql(Posted 2004) [#23]
As far as jumping is concerned, I think that the 'falling' back to earth bit, is too fast. the switching from walking to running is very clever. Looks cool.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#24]
I think the jump animation is quite nice, but the walk is far too slow. he should start running sooner i feel.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#25]
yeh the thingy with the walk to run...im guna redo the whole thing and have an anim cycle from standing to runing
then cycle the run and then run to standing..if that makes any sense...the whole character needs redoing from scratch coz i totaly messed it up and didnt plan all the moves..its all a mess at the moment...plan,plan and plan some more

made a start on revamping the model..better hat

Lumivel(Posted 2004) [#26]
"The style is bloody good." That's what I'd say if I was Peter. But since I'm an american fathead I'm gunna say, "The style is bloody good, and the game looks FEGGIN P.I.M.P!!!"

w00t.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#27]
the game looks FEGGIN P.I.M.P!!!

is that good or bad...im only a simple englishman

Lumivel(Posted 2004) [#28]
I think it's good. Leave it up to Rap Artists to cross international boundaries and confuse everyone. heh.