RetroSphere v1.00 Released!

Community Forums/Showcase/RetroSphere v1.00 Released!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

I am pleased to annouce that the full public version of RetroSphere is out!

There are two versions...

DEMO - Limited to 3 levels and 3 soundtracks, practice mode is also disabled. (FREE!)

FULL - Contains 32 levels, 20 soundtracks and has loads of other extras... ($15)

To download visit www.boiledsweets.com/RetroSphere

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#2]
YAY! Can't wait to get home to try the demo!

Jon_E_5(Posted 2004) [#3]
Hey this is retro heaven!!! Excellent stuff. I just downloaded the level its great! The rotation of the the level on certain tiles is mad! I love it. Seriously considering buying the full version :) well done.

Mousey(Posted 2004) [#4]
Argh! The link for the demo brings up a "The page cannot be found" error. It seems John downloaded it ok, so I'm not sure why this happens. Hopefully it'll be fixed by tonight so I can play it after work. :)

maximo(Posted 2004) [#5]
>"The page cannot be found" error.

Same here!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#6]
Sorry, my provider kindly renamed the zip file. FIXED NOW!

Mousey(Posted 2004) [#7]
Thanks for fixing the link so fast. I just completed level 3 (took me 3 goes) and it left me craving more! I'm so tempted to purchase the full version... it's very enjoyable and definitely has that "just one more go" feeling. Level 2's twisting is brilliant, level 3's warps are insane but great fun!

My wife saw me playing it and summed it up in one word - "Imaginative". Even the 3 levels I saw had some nice ideas and they were well implemented. I'll second John's "Well done!" and highly recommend everyone else to take a look at this, it's superb.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#8]
Hey Mousey,

thanks for the great feedback. We wrote it to play ourselves and love playing it, we are always open to suggestions on how to improve it so let us know if ou have any thoughts...

Nice one.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#9]
Looks very promising. Good luck with your marketing!

Steve C ™(Posted 2004) [#10]
I really enjoyed this! You've done a great job on it :)

2 Bugs/Problems I encountered are ..
1) On the menu pages (Audio, Video, Controls) if you hover the mouse at the bottom of one of the buttons, it shakes around!
2) When playing the game I always hold the Up arrow, and when I need to jump left, I have to let go of up because holding all three of them disables the space (does that make sense?!) It seems ok for jumping right though (I mean holding up, right and space all work)

Awesome game anyway :)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#11]
Steve C,

thanks for your feedback. Now I am reluctant to say this but I think that the left, up and space key thing is a bug in Blitz. The following 2 snippets of code prove this. The first one is the up, left and space and does not display the text, the 2nd is up, right and space and it does, go figure! Try the following...
While Not KeyHit(1)
  If KeyDown(200) And KeyDown(57) And KeyDown(203) Then 
    Print "all 3"
  Else
    Print 
  End If
Wend

While Not KeyHit(1)
  If KeyDown(200) And KeyDown(57) And KeyDown(205) Then 
    Print "all 3"
  Else
    Print 
  End If
Wend

Steve C ™(Posted 2004) [#12]
Yep definatly looks like a bug in Blitz!
Do you know of anyway you can get around this problem? Quite an annoying one really.

EDIT : Just read the Bug forum, looks like it's my keyboard! Pah.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#13]
Steve C,

we have tinkered with the controls stuff a bit. Its not a bug in Blitz but more of just how the keyboard matrix works. To get round it simply change the jump key from SPACEBAR to LEFT CONTROL. That should fix the problem.

We have released a new version that allows a different key assignment for 1 PLAYER and 2 PLAYER modes. So in 1 PLAYER mode you can have the cursor keys and left control and in 2 PLAYER mode player 1 can have different keys, ie. cursor keys and the right control.

Hope the above helps.

Grisu(Posted 2004) [#14]
Good Job. - Have you a new project now that RS is done?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#15]
Well yes, goijng back to finish / improve my first project, "qoob". A collection of 64 3d mazes with a possible 15,000+ locations. Just adding particle effects and some insect guardians...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#16]
RetroSphere scores the maximum 5 cows at www.tucows.com.

YEE-HAH!