3D DREAM CHAT

Community Forums/Showcase/3D DREAM CHAT

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#1]
[[NEW VERSION UPLOADED]] ROCKET ARENA ADDED TO IT!
Dream chat is very early beta stages.. Its a chat program that lets you float around with a 3d avatar chatting. later it will also have P2P file sharing.. and server jumping.. please help me test the net strength.

File..
currently down while i get new version ready
http://www.hoverhavok.mmocrafter.com/dchat.zip
The server is up and running for anyone who wants to join in and chat. .just download the file, unzip and run dreamchat.exe.

I appreciate all who give it a try.. i really need alot of people in there to test the network code. thanks!
htink max is 100 people for now.. will up it later

Oh and you must be floating close to a person to talk ot them.. otherwise they will not see what you type.. This is so that if you want a private conversation with someone.. you and that person float over to your own area and chat away.. nobody else too far away will hear you.

screenshot

all media (c) copyright 2003-2004 ~Just For Fun software~ City Media (C).Copyright 2004 ~Just for Fun Software~ & Psionic Design

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#2]
I tried it out, it's very interesting concept. Controls could be better. Very unique.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#3]
controls are best in fullscreen mode.. because you use the mouse to navigate.. and in windowed mode i dont want to lock mouse position to the chat window.

Tyler(Posted 2004) [#4]
Fun stuff! Try F2 for dream mode. Can't wait for games and p2p to be added :D

skn3(Posted 2004) [#5]
Hahah that was cool, it crashed while testing there Jeff, was my gfx card drivers though. I'll try this again when you added rockets.. should be fun :)

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#6]
ok may be tomorrow, im tired.. rockets are in but im tweaking them

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#7]
ok new download available.. use the link above. Now you can play some avatar Rocket arena. You use mouse button 3 to fire.. you can only fire one every 10 seconds. if you get hit you bounce 1000 feet in the air.. and have to make your way back down to the city. Hope you like it.. more features comming.. like p2p file sharing. In city forums.. and more.

SideBurn(Posted 2004) [#8]
i think its cool, need some areas u cannot get shot at so u can actually talk to ppl, and maybee another better camera that stays fixed on ya for first person?

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#9]
side.. hit mouse2 to change camera modes.. and for every game there is you can choose to participate or not to participate.(in next version that is). example. if you dont participate in rocket arena.. you will not see any rockets, get hit or see any messages about hits. ect

SideBurn(Posted 2004) [#10]
oo cool, i saw the views on mouse2 but im thinking of another, 1 other tiny lil thing, let me use capital letters and + in me username:)

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#11]
HOLD shift.. i htik you will get capitols that way

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#12]
Oh, cool. Now I need someone else in the server to chat with...

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#13]
I'm on right now. If you read this within 15 minutes I'll probably on, but with slow dialup :/

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#14]
Very cool rifraf!

I saw rifraf there shot off a couple rockets etc :D

Anyway, as you know I suggested using Ctrl to switch between being able to control it and not controlling it. While conrolling it the mouse is centered so its just like fullscreen controls.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#15]
ok new version up.. same link as above.. some minor fixes, changes.
1). ADDED WORD WRAP TO CHAT AREA
2). fixed small bug with rockets ( i think ) where the
destroction packet may get lost, and the rocket never dies. so you get alot of models loaded.. now that is a dependable packet.
3). changed color on some text to make it more readable.
ever evolving. .new version could be up in 5 minutes an hour or tomorrow. im having alot of fun wokring on it. any input appreciated.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#16]
Here's the mouse avatar :D :

http://blitzstuff.250free.com/zips/Head6.zip

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#17]
bad link

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#18]
I know

I was making it the scale of your other avatars and also inverting the z axis. (your models are backwards btw)

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2004) [#19]
I just tried it but the server wasnt up. :| Will try again tonight.

BTW, Hi Jeff, long time no speak :)

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#20]
It's really fun - yeah, haven't bee able to get on for a couple hours

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#21]
As far as the avatars go, you might want to try and see if the client has the same model as another client. If not, set to default. You could use an md5 hash algo to create an ID for each file (and its texture). http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=278

Then, there wouldn't be problems with users not having other user's avatar. You could do something like have unknown avatars tranfer to users that don't have it but that would be overcomplicated :P

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#22]
i might allow avatar downloads.. perhaps ill have an /av_upload dir where you can send your avatars, and people can choose to have their avatar downloads on or off. if they are on then they will autodownload them one at a time . . shrug.. well see.

Andyboy.. hey bud i still have aieroulis on disk!.. dead. but naustaulgic. The server was down last night. i was working on server so much that i had to keep resetting it so i jsut took it down. ill get it back up today.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#23]
messaging system wil bein on monday. Means Dream chat wil have its own internal email system so you can leave notes for your chat buddies, when they are not around.

server is up for now. im off to work.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#24]
ok new version up. this one has messages. heres how it works

You start a chat session.. first you mus tset up a messaging password.. to do this type
/SETPW passwordhere
NOW to read your messages one at a time type
/RMAIL yourpassword
that will display the first message.. to see the next just
type it again.
NOW TO SEND A MESSAGE TO ANOTEHR USER you tpye
/SMAIL USERNAME yourmessage

and you can send messages to yourself as a reminder or somthing..

please tell me what you think so far.. if anyone wants to help with simple no nanimated avatars please let me know. :)

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#25]
oh, cool. I tested this out with idguy. It skips lines now too :D
One problem with the messaging feature though: It should display all messages at once, instead of one at a time.
how do you shout?

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#26]
oh, cool. I tested this out with idguy. It skips lines now too :D
One problem with the messaging feature though: It should display all messages at once, instead of one at a time.
how do you shout?

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#27]
skips lines?

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#28]
He might mean word wrap. To shout, prefix your messages with -.

z3lda(Posted 2004) [#29]
I sent you an email on this, did you get it? I might be interested in helping with some Avatars.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#30]
havent got it.. will check.. i just got back from a weekend trip

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#31]
i dont seem to have an email from you , could you please resend to bigchance25@...

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#32]
Any chance of a clearer screenshot, the one's submitted to the gallery so far have been way to blurry, either that or my browser hates progressive mode jpegs.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#33]
Il send another one tomorrow, thanks for letting me know. I might have set the compression to high by mistake.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#34]
ok well its almost done.. just waiting on avatars. anyone else want to help here? :) :) .

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#35]
http://blitzstuff.250free.com/zips/scary_smilie.zip

:P kinda scary because I did enviornment mapping on the eyes so they are always staring at you.....

How bout a list of possible avatars?

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#36]
Well i dont have a list really, just about anything will do as long as its low poly, and not distastefull. also dont make the entire body since things are jsut floating around .. like hte head of a lion would be better than an entire lion.

here are some i did myself, the textures need work

ckob(Posted 2004) [#37]
Rifraf: The idea and overall look is great a couple comments though

the controls seem a little weird I didnt like that I could float anywhere maybe add some gravity and will we be able to go inside the buildings? also the email and messaging features wil they evetually be accessable via GUI ? or always commands?

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#38]
gui eventually. but ill probably release it with commands first. can anyone recommend a freeware gui lib for blitz3d?

Currently no. .there are no interiors. however the entire city is just a 3ds file. IF ANYONE wants to donate a model with interiors that is still fairly low poly im all for it.. I will bundle about 10 chat areas with the server and let server admin decide wich he uses or if they are timed map changed.. ect.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#39]
yeah BlitzUI
http://www.legacygames.co.uk/downloads.php

its easy to use and the price isnt bad $0.00

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#40]
ok thanks.. a questions to anyone who may have an opinion. If you were in Dream City Chat, and into file sharing woudl you prefer. A.) to send and receive from another user directly. Fast transfer perhaps. but f you wanted to send it to more than one user you would have to transfer it X times.

option B.) you upload the file to the server, along with a download password. any user with your password can now download it. Because hte server will be handling all uploads/downlaods the kbs will have to be limited so slower downloads, BUT you can share with alot of people at one time.

thoughts??

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#41]
Both?

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#42]
out of the two wich would you prefer

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#43]
If I can only have one, then I'd go for A.

But both would be better!

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#44]
Yeah, how about both. A would be better for sending to one person, b is best for having more than 2 people recieve it. you might want to delete the file after a set amount of time as long as no one is currently dling it.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#45]
@botbuilder. Yes i was going to give each file a 48 hour life.
the server saving is easy . Im using Blitzplay as my net library , and it only supports client to host, or host to client.. so i am going to have to modify the library to handle client to client file sharing. Surreal, if you want to explain the mod here for me.. great! otherwise ill dig into th e library soon.

New executable up if anyone wants to test it.
(dead link now.) new full version zip up however use the above link to dchat.zip.

just replace the old one. This changes some things.
You can shoot more rockets, and they are much much faster
you can move much much faster
there is now a first person camera with crosshairs. To select it hit mousebutton 2 a time or two.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#46]
Ive changed normal talking in chat room style to bubbles overhead. also added new steer mode.. if you hold control the mouse stay centered , and makes it much easier to do 360 turns ect. this with the new crosshair, and faster rockets, and players makes rocket arena much better than it was.

you can still shout, and it will be cast into the chat room.

Tyler(Posted 2004) [#47]
Third time on and it's even cooler :D Fun stuff going on here! Try it out, everybody!

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#48]
the host is off line i think....wont let me in ..time 10pm gtm

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#49]
sorry, got doom3 yesterday and had been playing it multiplayer and such.. so took dreamchat test server offline.. its back up now.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#50]
new version up.. IP changed sorry to anyone trying to connect.. snag new version at same link.

http://www.hoverhavok.mmocrafter.com/dchat.zip

This has some small changes.. neat bubbles with bold text.. easy to read. Password protected accounts. you now have to enter a password to logon. If the name you have chosen doesnt already exist then the password you enter will be created for that name.

[edit] removed file will be back up shortly?(few minutes)
(edit #2} ok the file is back up, and so is the server.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#51]
oh, and the image above a few posts has been reuploaded to reflect new bubble chat

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#52]
I would like to perform a stress test on the chat server/client this eveneing. Even if you arent interested in the chat software I would greatly appreciate ANYONE who would download and logon. Stress test is going to be held at 4:00 pm . im in the USA, central time. so in LONDON it would be 10:00pm.

SideBurn(Posted 2004) [#53]
ill be there, sign into aim:)

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#54]
Err, I downloaded it twice, both times corrupted. which is why I couldn't get to the test 30 minutes ago.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#55]
hmm new version up now. allows smileys in chat bubble. Sorry you probably tried to download it as I was uploading it or somthing. its there now and complete. Stress test was a no go.. nobody showed up. The entire thing is still under 3.8 megs

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#56]
Could try to get blitz people on IRC to get on. I imagine quite a few would download. (Blitzed network #blitzbasic, #blitzcoder, #blitzlounge) Then you wouldn't have to schedule it or anything. Although you might tell people on the forms when your gonna ask the IRC people to get on.

z3lda(Posted 2004) [#57]
RifRaf,

If you need a place to host I can put the file up on my site as well for people to download.

SideBurn(Posted 2004) [#58]
itll have a proper site soon, its just under constuction, but more places to d/l from is always good

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#59]
z3elda, i might take you up on that when its done.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#60]
OK yes another update made this afternoon. Http://www.hoverhavok.mmocrafter.com/dchat.zip

now there are 2 weapon types. rockets and proximity blasts.. the scoring system works under the hood, havent added a way for users to view scores, but i will.

The server will spawn weapon pods, the players/chatters can run into them to get a random weapon.. there are the 2 right now, but i plan to get that up to 10 before i stop working n weapons.. then ill get the scroing system going and add a few more modes of play.. ie teamplay and ctf style. Then ill work more on the chatting system and working out some of those bugs. and adding more social interactions..

im thinking of redoing all the avatars with moving eyelids, and mouths.. then i can get some social animations in there.. currently im using smiley graphics to show social emotions.

give it a go and let me know. thanks!

Xzider(Posted 2005) [#61]
i know im posting on a super old project, but , you should make this again, or start on this projcet again rifraf, i really enjoyed it..
-booyah-

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#62]
Thank you.
I actually sold the code. i am making a much better virtual chat program. will post when i have more to show on it. I have alot of real work going on atm, when it slows down ill finish it fairly quickly.

Xzider(Posted 2005) [#63]
awesome , what did you use for networks? blitz TCP?

was very stable..