3ds Max Reactors In Action!

Community Forums/Showcase/3ds Max Reactors In Action!

Inner(Posted 2004) [#1]
http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/tjroughton/irc/wallblown.zip

A breaking wall.

Thanks to b3d pipeline.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#2]
cool. What would be nice, is that you name each of the new bits it makes, and then add real time physics to them as they fall.

Inner(Posted 2004) [#3]
that's easy, just use the child commands in blitz should pick them out, but the reason I did that in the first place was to avoid using the overhead of a physics maths, if you can get away without using them, then it's all the bonus to speed.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#4]
Is there supposed to be a texture on it?

Inner(Posted 2004) [#5]
nope, it's a prototype so no texture yet.

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#6]
Looks good to me. As stated above some nice physics on the block would do as to create a different break appart anim each time it is hit.

Can this be used in a game. ie for destructable walls?

Inner(Posted 2004) [#7]
to do that, you'd have to throw away the animation and just you the frangmented mesh blocks, which means you'd have some sort of maths for all the blocks falling apart, not imagine you had a 100 or so of these walls exploding at the same time. :)

if you removed the frames. or just used the first frame.

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#8]
Then theres the surface count for what I suggested. I suppose you would need a surface per blobk.

Inner(Posted 2004) [#9]
by surface I suppose you mean texture? well yes each block needs its own texture, even if it's drawing from the same texture that'll course drag too.

I don't mean to sound like I'm talking down to you or anything by the following, so don't take offence.

if you noticed and pay attention to games, you'll notice physics is only used where absolutely nessary, if they can get away with rendering/animating say 10 verations of something in a file they'll do that over trying to use physics for it, becoming slightly less so today, because machines are becoming much faster, but we under basic must be extra vigalent in what we do in regards to physics, because of the over head of our language.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#10]
if you noticed and pay attention to games, you'll notice physics is only used where absolutely nessary

I agree 100%, My former statment was aimed at simple making a demo to show off nice falling parts, but if your actually talking about in game then anything you can do to streamline things should be done.

Hay Inner Any chance of a tutorial, for creating that, Im working on a project just now that could be really cool with that sort of animation.

Also have you considered how you will handle Collisions from a dynamicly changing entity(size) ?

Inner(Posted 2004) [#11]
well I could write a tutorial on it, but 90% of the work was done in 3ds max, of which this free video tutorial 16mb http://s88779969.onlinehome.us/fracture_vid_final.rar would do it far more justice than I ever could, all you have to do to export it in the b3d pipeline is "convert" it to animation in the reactor roll out, delete all the reactor components and any other objects you don't need, and export to b3d, doesn't seam to like exporting with the reactor bits still attached to the objects.

speaking of free tutorials and such like,

www.3dbuzz.com - while you need to earn your star "free", to start downloading the video tutorials it's a small price to pay, it's an absolute gem for infomation.