Aeroplane and Asteroids WIP demo downloads

Community Forums/Showcase/Aeroplane and Asteroids WIP demo downloads

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#1]

Let me know if you think I should finish either of these, and if you'd pay cash for full versions and if so, how much!?

Magitta(Posted 2004) [#2]
Wow... I just tried the Aeroplane demo, but the controls and gameplay are wayyyy to fast. Even for an arcade style game. And it's really weird if I run against a mountain the plane just bounces along the mountain, not crashing. The graphics are nice though.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#3]
Magitta, to quote from the readme...
Currently in this demo there is no sound, no winning, no losing, and no crashing. You can simply fly around following the course with the computer players racing you.
Now question... by "wayyyy to fast" what do you mean, can you not get round the course? Or just too difficult? I know it's hard to beat the computer racers at the moment. Can you give me some more detail! :)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#4]
Too fast, are you on a super computer?

Air plane one runs around 1frame per two seconds, on my g5-600, p-800. AA/Aniscopic off.

LarsG(Posted 2004) [#5]
I liked the airplane one... it ran at a steady 74 FPS.. though the steering was weird.. the up and down was ok, but the turning was funky.. it was like it lagged too much behind, then suddenly speeded up and turned too fast..

aab(Posted 2004) [#6]
Air Plane wont run beyond 2fps on my new XP...

Magitta(Posted 2004) [#7]
Allright! After a few practice rounds I got the hang of it. It actually looks really neat arcade like! There are just a few things to the controls. The up down is kinda okay, but when you keep going up the plane eventually ends up going straight up, whereas it should make a flip. Also the thing confusing me at the start was the fact the camera was very near my plane. Last I Agree with LarsG. The left right steering really is funky. It could be much more wicked if it was more solid but not to solid, arcade like... mm still too vague I guess but you're gonna have to do it with my comment so far. ^__^ I'm looking forward to the next version!

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#8]
Ran fine here. Radeon 9600

With a bit more work the airplane one could become very nice. Most of the problem is the controls. The plane doesn't seem to turn fast enough at first and then turns way to much later (basically restatement of the above). You could experiment with turning faster closer to the ground, etc. I dunno. Also the arrow thing seems a bit off. It's sometimes hard to figure out where exactly the arrow is pointing. I'd suggest having a 3d arrow with alpha applied (entityorder -1) parented to the cam, and then pointed tyowards the waypoint. Also, the course should be a loop. currently there seems to be an intersection which always gets me off course.

Asteroids was pretty cool. I don't know how many you could possibly sell though.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#9]
Aeroplane:

Magitta: You can turn faster if you bank right over and pull up. I've been considering being able to flip over if you pull up but it makes for a total bitch of camera control, also there's not really a whole lot of point. I'm probably just going to limit how much you can pull up/push down.

Bot: The arrow is pretty much in debug mode at the moment! There are sub checkpoints between some of the checkpoints this is for the AI the arrow points at all checkpoints not just the visible ones, with the human players these sub check points will be ignored and therefore the arrow will be correct. Further to this it needs smoothing too so it doesn't jump each checkpoint.

I think the reason why the steering feels odd is because of the camera... I'll look into it. The steering IS actually a constant, you steer at your roll * multiplier where the mulitplier is a constant.

Those people getting crappy frame rates, what are you set ups? I get around around 60fps on my system (geforce3 ti200, athlon 2600)

And it appears no-ones interested in asteroids... I guess I'll remove that one then!

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#10]
Amazing...

192 downloads of Asteroids
217 downloads of Aeroplane

5 people commented. Thanks for the comments guys, it's really appreciated.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#11]
I think it may be the frame-rate issue rob. Mu system can run pandora tomorrow, without problem(g5), yet freezes up almost when running the air plane game.
Yet it ran fine on a couple other machines here, so I really think it's a show-stoppig bug.(Unless the machines here have gpus 75x faster than a g5, p-800...which they don't)

I'd be happy to comment on otherwise..i'm guessing so would others...they're good looking games.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#12]
Exciting, but too difficult to play (plane).

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#13]
I've no idea why the frame rates are crappy on some systems... It's just a blitz terrain with a few meshes, no more than 30,000 trianges at a time, not too many surfaces as the trees are clumped into single surfaces of about 20 trees a time.

It even runs at about 10 fps on my work computer with it's S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR.

Suggestions welcome.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#14]
I know what it may be. If you mix flags 256 and I think alpha or masking on a texture, it pratically cripples nvidia g5's. Even just one texture in the scene using it.

At least on my set-up.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#15]
The trees all have masked textures!

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#16]
I found the Aeroplane one interesting but it seemed alittle to fast on the controls which made if difficult to follow the other planes, with some more work and perhaps some tweaks to the controls it could well be a fun racing game.

The Asteroids one is very cool, spent a fair bit of time playing that. :)

Framerates were 90+ in the Asteroids one, didn't pay much attention in the plane one, was fighting to fly around to much :)

Mark Judd(Posted 2004) [#17]
Both ran really nicely on my work PC (gf3, p4) although I prefer the planes to the rocks.
I'd like them even more if you introduced some twin forward mounted machine guns to help with those really tough AI guys.
How about some barrage balloons to discourage too much altitude ?
In answer to your final question, i rarely spend more than £20 on a game, but i'd be happy to spend that on a polished flying arcade style afair.

Funky Frank

PS Thorny issue getting feedback eh ? From bitter personal experience its a waste of time usually, although the B3D forums / members are light years ahead of most other places.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#18]
Jon: Thanks, lots of people are saying the control is too fast... Personally I think it's fine but I'll have to go with the masses, probably add a sensitvity level so you can choose how quick the turning is.

Frank: The AI is tough at the moment, I find it's best to make the AI as good as possible so I can't beat it and works in pretty extreme conditions, as with the course make the course tough, if the AI can handle it then you're pretty much safe for anything else! There will be levels of difficulty, it's easy to make AI dumb, just not so easy to make it tougher. I'm avoiding guns, there are too many games use weapons as game play subtitutes. With regards to Altitude I think you're already discouraged, the higher you go the slower you go... but I guess you knew that because you read the read me didn't you :)

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#19]
loved the asteroids game...been playin it for ages..

didnt like the plane game (seemed to be too quick to control)...perhaps if you turned the plane into a space ship,put in a space backdrop and thru some rocks at it..;)

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#20]
One thing about the plane game - I got a bit better at it, and now can keep up with the AIs for a little while, but somthing I noticed is that these are supposed to be real size planes. There are two reasons I at first thought they were say, remote control planes:

1. Speed. I think it should be slower, as I bet remote control planes have a larger speed/size ratio than normal planes. This is all guesses though. normally planes don't race in valleys :P

2. Size of the check points - the things supporting it look like wood. trees don't come that big.

You might actually want to make it remote control planes. Just scale up the trees a bit (probably make the trees polygonal as well at close distances)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#21]
Bot, You're right, I didn't pay any attention to scale when I was doing this and yes, the check points are massive. The trees are polygonal though! I've been toying with the idea of making them remote controlled for a while, I think you're right, it'll make more sense!