Outdoor level

Community Forums/Showcase/Outdoor level

John-Robin(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi there -

here are two more screenshots of outdoor scenes;

Actually, the lighting in both screenshots isn't done yet.
Both images need the Gile[s] touch ;)

Especially the 2nd image runs at a high framerate (60fps) @ 1024 x 768 due to very low poly modelling without making it obvious.

Also this indoor setting represents the indoor of a hut, but some of you may have seen it already;

As this image has been treated by Gile[s], you can also see the quality difference between this one and the previous ones.

Also, you can imagine the first two images being heavily fogged to create the right atmosphere :)

Cheers,

JR

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#2]
Very nice all around.

I'd love to see the first shot with some over-done bloom fx ;)

Zmatrix(Posted 2004) [#3]
Looks good John :)
in the first shot, is using poligonal shell grass slower or faster than using quad plane models?
how many layers are you using?

You may have already did this , but when I did that effect in Rad , "rad dolphin demo"(I used 8 layers)
I was able to squeeze a few more fps by removing large clumps of polygons, where I didnt want grass to be in the first place.

anyway, nice work as ussual :)

Zmatrix

John-Robin(Posted 2004) [#4]
Tony > thx, haven't looked into the bloom fx much yet, but I agree that might only make it better :)

Zmatrix > currently I use 6 layers, but with as few polies as possible. Still, it takes about 10fps when running full force, which is quite a price to pay... Therefore I'd really love to use the quad plane system instead, but it may take quite some vegetation to make it look real.

To reduce this effect, I designed these levels in a long rectangluar shape (Sort of) instead of the huge square level. This reduces the freedom ofcourse, but can still lead to natural results and high frame rates. This is actually what you see in the 2nd image.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#5]
John,

Wow the outdoor shots are breath taking! Excellent work again!

I also like the interior shot - it looks like the inside of a viking wattle and daub building.

IPete2.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#6]
Pretty nice :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#7]
Looks great! But tell me, what is this grass in the first picture, it looks like a render feedback thing or some kind of offset FX.

John-Robin(Posted 2004) [#8]
thanks caff/jfk.

jfk> the grass is composed of 6 layers of masked green dots (representing a weed), each positioned slightly above oneother.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#9]
Lovely :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#10]
intresting idea.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#11]
I'm a big fan of your work.

The grass uses a similar technique to my Hairy Balls demo:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=627

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2004) [#12]
What tool did you use to make the indoor scene. The reason I ask is that I'm a big fan of TrueSpace, and I've been telling my friends that that's the software to use if they're beginning to game design. It is cheaper that 3DS Max or Maya or even LightWave.

John-Robin(Posted 2004) [#13]
thanks masterbreaker! yes indeed the technique is similar.

amanda> everything is modelled very low poly in max. especially the outside of the hut (can't see it here) was quite a pain to make it natural looking.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#14]
very good, nice looking.

Panno(Posted 2004) [#15]
i love the sec. picture !

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#16]
Beautiful... Do you turn off the flare when a person is inside??? Serious question... I noticed some games don't and I wondered how you could do that.

-RZ