SketchFX Test

Community Forums/Showcase/SketchFX Test

Algo(Posted 2004) [#1]
Just a little test of some sketch fx.

It's a pretty simple effect to do, just parent a textured quad to the camera and wiggle it.

Just a little bit.

http://www.zen25248.zen.co.uk/SketchFX.zip

9572AD(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hey, that's freaking cool!

How'd you do that?

I understand the phrase "parent a textured quad to the camera and wiggle it", but I have no idea how it would do that.

Algo(Posted 2004) [#3]
You just need a greyscale texture that roughly looks like pencil sketching, you could even scan the real thing I suppose. You then texture the quad mesh with it and set it to blend mode 3 (add), fx mode 1 (fullbright) and entityorder it to draw it over everything.

You then need to setup the lighting. Set ambient light to 0 and add a directional light parented to the camera, but rotated slightly.

To wiggle the texture use PositionTexture texture,Rnd(1),Rnd(1)

podperson(Posted 2004) [#4]
I agree, that is freakin cool :)

Steve C ™(Posted 2004) [#5]
That looks awesome! :D

Rob(Posted 2004) [#6]
Inventive and very cool!

ModestyBCatt(Posted 2004) [#7]
Oh my...

...it's like an a-ha video.

:/ oh no! Am I really that old.

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#8]
I get a MAV.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#9]
Very nice :]

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#10]
I love it when someone does something really different like this -- very cool.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#11]
Very nice. :)

simonh(Posted 2004) [#12]
Really clever idea Alg - nice one :)

Red(Posted 2004) [#13]
Arrghh !!! Awesome !!!

- the effect of the month -

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#14]
Yeah! Very nice. Can the lesser coders (well, me, I mean) get a little code snippet? :)
M

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#15]
Excellent, besides very novel you managed to make the most perfect setting for such an effect, a childs sketchbook. That really makes it work.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#16]
WOW awesome effect :D

Almost like those sketch pixel shaders - maybe even better, without even using shaders.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2004) [#17]
yeah like almoste like a interactive childrens book
or a childrens adventure game can be made with this amazing FX

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#18]
Once again, an example of how DX7 technology can easily achieve effects people associate with pixel shaders if you just get a little creative. Between the negative light trick, Mustang's spherical environment effect, and this, Blitz users are building up quite a bag of graphical FX tricks.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#19]
That is superb!

But yes ModestyBCatt... Taaaaaaakeee ooooooonn meeeeeeee...

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#20]
Awesome! I love the way that looks.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#21]
Cool effect!

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2004) [#22]
:( Memory Access Violation

Maybe its because this vid card doesnt support it (its an onboard dell/intel vid card - rubbish in other words)

A

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#23]
Those getting MAVs -- did you unarchive it first? Even though it's a single file, running direct from the zip might fail as I assume it extracts some media files first... (?)

Algo(Posted 2004) [#24]
It's moleboxed so that may be why some people are having problems.

I'll post the source after I've tidied it up a bit.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#25]
very neat

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#26]
I see so many problems with molebox packed programs not working, I have no idea why people keep recommending molebox.

Algo(Posted 2004) [#27]
I'm begining to think the same thing.

OK here's the code.

http://www.zen25248.zen.co.uk/SketchFX.zip

Paolo(Posted 2004) [#28]
This looks lovely.

It's amazing the bunch of things that show up from this community :)

Great effect Algo!

Paolo.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#29]
Beautiful!

IPete2.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#30]
cool. Tiny mod:

line 112:

ExtractAnimSeq p\mesh,1,50

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#31]
Algo,
Thanks for sharing the source - I haven't played with surfaces much so I'm sure to learn something from looking at it!
M

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#32]
Very Nice! Looks like a shader :)

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#33]
You know, I never really thought about it before, but the initials of "Take On Me" are Tom.(I noticed the abbrev in the code)

Hmmmm...Ok, so some things mean different things to different people.

ragtag(Posted 2004) [#34]
Very cool effect.

Just out of curiosity...what's the license on that source code, should some of us feel like using it in a project?

Cheers,

Ragnar

John-Robin(Posted 2004) [#35]
MAV :(

Algo(Posted 2004) [#36]
John-Robin, I hope you're running the moleboxed exe, try running the code.

Ragtag, sure you can use the code how you like.

You can also make do a nice variation of this effect using one of the black outline methods, which I'm sure are on this forum somewhere.

Anyone got any ideas on the type of game this could be used for?

JohnMil(Posted 2004) [#37]
Amazing! And fast to! Even on my 8mb card. Keep up the awesome work!

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#38]
Well, obviously it would be good for some sort of children's game but I'm picturing an FPS ;) There are probably other rendering effects you could achieve doing this sort of process. Add in outlines, different textures (cross-hatch, stipple, that sort of thing), who knows.

I think whatever game you made with it you'd want to keep simple geometry. I like your minimalist scene in the demo.
M

ragtag(Posted 2004) [#39]
I did a quick test earlier with a more detailed model I made (1200 or so polys if I remember correctly), and that worked great too. I think you can use this effect with both simple and complex games.

It would be very cool to use it for a game were drawing or sketching was somehow a part of the game, though I don't really have any idea for one. :-)

Ragnar

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#40]
I tried this using one of Psionic's new soldier models and it looked great...like a colored pencil sketch. Any ideas how I could get that 'white-out' look to it though? I tried setting the model to full-bright but that just lightened all of the colors. Maybe increase the shininess of the model? I mean, basically you just want the color to go away in the highlighted areas, right?
M

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#41]
Pretty cool results...I 'washed' the textures in Photoshop. Check the video...

http://home.comcast.net/~mearrin69/linked/walk.avi

634k video

Algo(Posted 2004) [#42]
That looks excellent.

Yeah the less contrast in the textures the more natural it will look.

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#43]
These are the textures I used (hope Si won't mind - they're changed beyond recognition and reduced in size by 33%).

| |

I started out by trying to just remove the saturation and adjust the brightness/contrast until it was mostly white and black. Didn't work well so I adjusted the levels to make black a medium-dark grey. Nice, but just black and white. So, I overlaid the original color maps, desaturated them, and played with the layer blending options.

It looks like you could achieve an awful lot of different styles with this technique - thanks for sharing Algo!
M

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#44]
mearin, your link seems to be broken.

David819(Posted 2004) [#45]
really cool code algo.

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#46]
Mr. Picklesworth,
Give it another go. I just tried it and it seems to be working. My ISP is sometimes unreliable (gasp...can you believe it?)
M

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#47]
oh, cool. I still couldn't open the page directly, but I opened the url in windows media player and it worked fine.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#48]
Anyone got the code for this effect - looks cool but none of the links are working.

Cheers
Stevie

Algo(Posted 2004) [#49]
I assumed the thread was dead, I've temporarily put the link back up.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#50]
that is awesome

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#51]
Very Nice - thanks

paultheaxeman(Posted 2004) [#52]
Sorry to drag this thread back up again, but lost my version of the code. Anybody got it lying around that can email it to me? paul at twistedslug dot co dot uk

Would be very much appreciated.

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2004) [#53]
Er....the link at the top of the page contains the full source matey, just grab it :)

Andy(Posted 2004) [#54]
Just saw this in the newsletter... I cannot believe that I didn't see amazing code before.

>Anyone got any ideas on the type of game this could be
>used for?

I think it would seriously rock if used to a limit in an FPS... Kind of like in the A-Ha video, where people cross from the real world into this sketchy cartoon world!

Think of a few rooms with the music playing in the background and when you enter, you and everything else appear to be drawn...

For it to work, you need to be able to combine it with regular 3D in a scene.

Andy

big10p(Posted 2004) [#55]

For it to work, you need to be able to combine it with regular 3D in a scene.

I think if you check the source code you'll realize this isn't possible. It uses a filter that covers the entire screen, if I remember correctly.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#56]
nice stuff adam

po(Posted 2004) [#57]
I like this alot. It actually worked on my computer.

You could be a kid who has stumbled upon a magic pencil and gets sucked into the paper and is in drawing land. All the drawings from his past are there and from all the books he has read.

VIP3R(Posted 2004) [#58]
Very impressive :)

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#59]
most excellent.