Candy Factory 1.0 released

Community Forums/Showcase/Candy Factory 1.0 released

Jake L.(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

if you use Particle Candy for your Particle-FX needs, you will like Candy Factory:

Some features:

* Full Wysiwyg-editing of all parameters (Trails and Sound comming soon)
* Import/Export particle-definitions
* Import/Export "ready-to-use" emitter-functions
* World-Control: Background-/Ambient-/Directional lights

Go here to download it - it's freeware!

Red(Posted 2004) [#2]
wow !

podperson(Posted 2004) [#3]
I hadn't heard of particle candy before. I download the demos and was very impressed.

When I run your program it seems to load but then nothing happens and the menus don't seem to work... When I quit and relaunch, I get a memory access violation...

JoeRetro(Posted 2004) [#4]
I seem to be getting these memory access errors too and once you get one, the app won't start up again, it continues to give a memory access error. You actually have to re-install the app to give it a go again.

Red(Posted 2004) [#5]
MAV problems

me too and I can't restart the editor after this bug.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#6]
Seemed to work ok for me.

Very nice it is too. Couple of suggestions:

If you have the Emitter Control turned off, it would be nice for you to be able to trigger a one off by clicking in the main window. Or have another button that does the same. This would be good for explosions and other non-continous effects.

If you turn 'off' a slot that is the current one being edited, maybe it should jump to the next slot that is 'on'.

On loading some of the standard effects, it seems that the angles of some of them aren't loading. Try loading the sparks one to see what I mean.

Great stuff!

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#7]
Guys, if you're getting a MAV on the second run of any program, it's very likely because the shortcut isn't having it's path set. If you edit the shortcut and set the start in directory to the install folder, it works fine.

Beaker is right about the sparks effect. I found this when trying to write a Particle Candy editor of my own. It's because the sparks effect was written using an early version of Particle Candy. One of the commands which sparks uses has now been deprecated, and cannot easily be emulated. You might want to look into including that deprecated command as a parameter, just for the sake of compatibility.

Performance is a little dodgy because of all the 2d GUI stuff, but you can't really do much about that.

Otherwise, seems pretty good. You've certainly handled the GUI organization a lot better than I did when I tried to write one. I had windows all over the shop, lol. Good work.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#8]
AWESOME! I'm gonna have to purchase Particle Candy now...

I guess Particle Candy is the fastest particle system out there?

Does it work ok with a render tweening system?

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#9]
I'd like to like this, but the GUI speed makes it pretty much unusable on my machine - Athlon64, Radeon Pro9800.

The only trick I can see is to flick between fullscreen and edit mode.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#10]
Well

I have an Athlon 1900 and it works just fine here!

IPete2.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#11]
I guess Particle Candy is the fastest particle system out there?

It's pretty fast. I'm not sure how it compares with Noel Cower's particle system, but they're probably pretty close.

Does it work ok with a render tweening system?

Yep, sure does.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#12]
WOWOWOWOWOWW: :>>>>

excellent and thank you :>

Rob(Posted 2004) [#13]
bug:

load an emitter, play, change an image in one of the emitter slots, then load another emitter and click play and it will MAV.

N(Posted 2004) [#14]
Looks real cool, downloading it now to try it out. I'm not a fan of the BCF GUI, but it looks like you did good with it.

I'm not sure how it compares with Noel Cower's particle system, but they're probably pretty close.

I have to go off of the Particle Candy demos, but they (Lotus R2 and Particle Candy) seem to be pretty much the same as far as speed goes.

podperson(Posted 2004) [#15]
OK the MAV problem is caused by the installer not setting up shortcuts properly. However, the menus still don't work, the program is still very slow (on my laptop), and I've still yet to see a particle. It *looks* like it could be a great program :)

N(Posted 2004) [#16]
It's real cool, but I have one major gripe: it's really, really slow! I'll assume this is becuase of BCF (does it use 2d functions only? I have no idea). It's none of my business, but I'd suggest you take a look at F-UI 3D, it's really easy to use and would probably be quite a bit faster than BCF.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#17]
I suspect he is drawing everything every frame, when he might be able to just update the 3D part most of the time, and the GUI once when the user makes changes. Just a thought.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#18]
There is still a bug that has nothing to do with the shortcut which occurs in the situation I outlined above while using the program.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#19]
IPete2

What's your vid card though?

I understand Radeon's have framerate issues when mixing 2d/3d...

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#20]
Yep, which is why FUI is great :D all 3d

I'm sure BCF is good aswell, but with that many gadgets in 2d on a radeon, updating everyframe its bound to be slow.

Anyway, Pretty cool proggie. I don't own particle candy though, so I just fiddled a bit with different effects :D

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#21]
SLOOOOW :P
2D GUI is a no-no on radeons.
I'm getting maybe 3 fps.

Looks funky otherwise, don't mean to drag it down.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#22]
Nice Editor.
I've been writing one also ans seems you have the same
problem I was working with when I put it down.

If you load the rocks the smoke trail doesn't work
Another thing is it looks like the emmission angle doesn't
work.

About the trails. An emitter isn't created for the
trail by an emitter command. It gets created when you
set the trail emitter to a created particle.

Very nice work though.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#23]
Madjack

'What's your vid card though?'

es sorry - it is an nVidia GeForce 3 (64mb) its 3-4 yearsoldas a systm now - nearly full up too! I must get a new HD drive.

IPete2.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#24]
"bug:

load an emitter, play, change an image in one of the emitter slots, then load another emitter and click play and it will MAV. "

YEAH! Horrid, please sort it :-)

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#25]
Something else I noticed.
If you look at the
Function CreateParticleType% ()
function
It calls all of the particle setting functions with just
the ID which means that all of the values are being
set to the default settings in the functions themselves
Like the Particle size function
ParticleType_SetSize (id%, sze#=1, szv#=0, szc#=0, szm#=10)

sze#=1 szm#=10

in the CreateParticleType function this function is
called with
ParticleType_SetSize id
which allows the function to set the rest of the values
with the defaults.
If you set those values to the defaults instead of 0 when
writing the saved files then it won't mess up the default
settings for the particle.