BomberLAN Released

Community Forums/Showcase/BomberLAN Released

semar(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi all.

I've just released a remake of Dynablaster Bomberman, it's ready to be downloaded from the BomberLAN section of my web site - the link is in my signature.

A screenshot:

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome...

Please use only windowed mode; full screen still needs to be tuned...

Have fun,
Sergio.

Grisu(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hi Sergio.

Sounds strange, but each time i place a bomb, when it explodes, it instantly kills me and the other player on screen?

semar(Posted 2004) [#3]
..each time i place a bomb, when it explodes, it instantly kills me and the other player on screen?

That's really strange !

A bomb can indeed destroy both players, but only if they are touched by the bomb flame.

Perhaps you have redefined the keys so that the player1 bomb key is the same as the player2 one ?

Could you explain better how do you get this behaviour ?

Could someone else give me some other test about ?

Here everything works fine...

Sergio.

Grisu(Posted 2004) [#4]
I lay a bomb with one player and run away from the flame.
Sometimes it happens that it explodes and both players are dead. "Draw game" screen appears...

Another thing: Javabean is working on an online open source internet bomberman for 8 players.
Have u planed sth like this as well? Means playing bomberman over net?

semar(Posted 2004) [#5]
Sometimes it happens that it explodes and both players are dead. "Draw game" screen appears

I guess that the round runs out of time then. There's a timer image in the upper left corner - see the screenshot - and near that, a box shows the remaining time.

Each round is 3 minutes long. If that time has passed, and none has bombed the opponent, then both the players explode, no matter if there are still bombs or not.

This is the behaviour of the Amiga version I'm referring to. I may change it if it's so confusing, or at least show a 'time out' message instead of 'draw game' - or, better, do not explode them.

About playing bomberman over the net, yes it is on schedule, but not high priority since I would like to add bots first, so to have also single player.

By the way, how do you find the music ? Does it fit the game ?

Sergio.

Grisu(Posted 2004) [#6]
Well, it sounds Bomberman like and fits well.

But personally I mostly turn off the music when playing games. :)

Algo(Posted 2004) [#7]
The same thing happens here, no matter where you are you die after the first bomb explodes.

It seems to only do it the first time you play though.

Grisu(Posted 2004) [#8]
I happened for me more than the first time, but somewhat unregularly.

semar(Posted 2004) [#9]
Guys,
many thanks for your feedback, but I must confess I don't have yet understood when this issue happens.

I assume you know that each round is 3 minutes long, and that at the end of that time, the two bombermans explode no matter if you put one, two, or no bombs - because it's basically a time out - hence the draw game screen.

Algo, could you please be more specific ? During the round time shift - 3 minutes - could you play normally, or something strange happens ?

Do the bombermans explode without been hit by any bomb flame ?

Does it happen in a network game, or local ? Window mode, or full screen ?

Thanks in advance...
Sergio.

Algo(Posted 2004) [#10]
It doesn't seem to do it anymore. Before you could play normally but when the first bomb exploded you'd both die even if you didn't touch the flame and the timer hadn't reached 3 minutes. It happened during a local windowed mode game, I didn't try full screen or network game.

DrMartin(Posted 2004) [#11]
I got the same error here, and a bit more info for you. When I played the first time, and layed the first bomb, the time of the game was changed from 2:50 something to 0:3 - the time left before the bomb exploded. I guess you mixed up the time variables a bit, and set the game time to 3 seconds.

DrMartin(Posted 2004) [#12]
Also, that scream when you die is a sound effect from Cannon fodder. You should consider changing it.

semar(Posted 2004) [#13]
@DrMartin,
thanks for the detailed explanation.

It's a bit strange that this issue happens only the very first time the game is played, since there are no files which are saved nor used while the game runs.

The only file which is red/written, is the config file for redefining keys, and it has nothing to do with timing. More, it is only saved by request, and the game would work even without it (it's there for convenience, but could also be deleted, having the default keys setting).

So, until now I can't figure out why it happens, and why it does happens only once. Could be something related with timing... but how ? More, I can't replicate the error, since I've ran it more than one time on my pc..

No window registers are updated or created too.

Any thought ?

About the scream sound effect, what if I change it, adding some effect ? Would that be enough to avoid any copyright hassle ? Note that this version of my game is a free one.

Sergio.

DrMartin(Posted 2004) [#14]
It didn't only happen the first time here, it's happened every time I've played. Or well, tried to play. Are you SURE you didn't mix up the timing variables?
I don't think you'll run into trouble for using that sound effect, but when you recognize it from another game, it makes your game feel less professional.

semar(Posted 2004) [#15]
Are you SURE you didn't mix up the timing variables?

Well, I would say yes. More, here works fine.

Hummm.. You say it happens each time you play it. Could you try if it does the same also in full screen ?

Out of curiosity, which are your pc specs ?

Oh, and thanks for your opinion about using other games fx, I didn't consider such a point.

:)

Thanks a load for your feedback,
Sergio.

DrMartin(Posted 2004) [#16]
Yes, it happens in fullscreen mode too.

My PC: Dual PIII 733 MHz, 512 MB RAM, GeForce Ti4200.

semar(Posted 2004) [#17]
A note for the ones having this timing problem.

For testing purpose, I linked the spacebar key to a function which reduces the available round time to 3 seconds. Sadly, I've forgotten to remove this link.

That means that if you redefine your keys, and choose the spacebar as the fire key, it will not only place a bomb, but also make a draw game after 3 seconds - that is, both the players will explode.

So, check if you have redefined your fire key with the spacebar, and if so, please choose another key for fire.

I'll post a new version soon which will have this glitch fixed. In the meantime, check if redefining the fire key to any other key but the spacebar fix the problem.

Many thanks to James Frost for spotting this out.

:)

Sergio.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#18]
you can play most snes games online using either zsnes or snes9x...