Sunbeams-in-dusty-air effect

Community Forums/Showcase/Sunbeams-in-dusty-air effect

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#1]
Some of you might know the effect used in the engine of Hitman 2 (and maybe used by other engines as well), when sunlight is falling trough a window into a dusty room and there are visible beams in the air, eg. in the church scene. I was pretty impressed by that effect, and now I wrote some code that will take a texture and create some sunbeams based on the images colors:

It's a low poly solution, might look cool in lightmapped levels. I'll put this to the code archives.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#2]
looks great jfk.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#3]
thanks. looks better when in motion. http://www.melog.ch/dl/sunbeams.zip

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#4]
looks good, thoughI think the lines are a litle too harsh,

Anyway of softening them up a bit?. i also think that they should fade out a 'little' bit sooner

Tom(Posted 2004) [#5]
Sweet effect, thanks for sharing!

I wonder if we had a second smokey texture and moved it about....hmmm

Tom

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#6]
you can set this in the parameters: lenght, trans (transparency) etc. you can also modify the source, eg. use a smaller version of the texture to achieve less detailed beams.
However, I like it this way since it0s pretty much the same as the one in hitman 2.
Yes, the beams are not very subtile, but as I mentioned you can lower the opaqueness easily, so they become ultra-subtile.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#7]
thank you jfk! I have been looking for that effect for ages!

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#8]
JFK,

I just did the same thing two days ago,but mine doesn't seem as good as yours...

...so thanks for that!

IPete2.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#9]
sounds cool jfk, nice work

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#10]
Really nice as always -- thanks JFK!

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#11]
This is very nice. I was playing around with something similar a few months back, but it didn't look this good. Very slick.

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#12]
Very well done jfk! My advice: make it so that the vertex's with an alpha of 0 slowly change there value, that way you could simulate that the dust is moving perhaps?

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#13]
screw waiting done it my self :D

Looks a whole lot better like that.
Oh btw - i know its really bad - making the whole thing into a module for Jfk now :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#14]
nice one as well, thanks!

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#15]
Sunbeam showoff! http://www.downloads.polarstudios.co.uk/SunBeams.zip I added the bloom and dream filter to make it look nice :)

all credit to jfk though - he made the best part ;)

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#16]
nice!

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#17]
nice also aCid2

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#18]
I think this is now ready for use in games. It has my flickering effect of moving dust, and should work where ever the window it. Supports unlimited windows aswell (i've stuck hte bloom filter in this - its easy enough to get rid of though)

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#19]
What looks really cool is if you have moving particles texture-mapped with a projector texture.

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#20]
halo: anychance of a demo? ;)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#21]
Not so hard to code, yes, probably it would look cool, but I ask myself if it's worth the polycount. Imagine, this is not only for a demo that shows off some dusty particles in the air, but for a game engine that has to do a lot of other things as well. Personally I know that if you add a lot of power-consuming effects to an engine, the game will be slow as death.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#22]
nice stuff J... really nice...

Thanks

--Mike

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#23]
Polycount? It's just a particle emitter. It wouldn't really create much overhead at all. UT does this.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#24]
A particle emitter that requires to update the uv's each frame I guess. It might be ok when you use it in some kind of VIS system that can hide/deactivate emitters when out of sight. Anyway, I am not a fan of common particle emitters. Torches for example usually are looking so very unrealistic imho.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#25]
If you are using a single-surface system, you have to update all vert positions anyways, so using the position for the UV coordinates isn't a big deal.

I would actually use a single emitter for each type of effect, and copy it, so you only have to update one "smoke" emitter.

I agree, animated sprites look much better for fire. But particle smoke and dust rules all.

Synchronist(Posted 2004) [#26]
@aCiD2: none of your "polarstudios.co.uk" links work...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#27]
BTW I have already included this effect successfully in my current map work. But there is a problem: I save this mesh with Vertex Colors and Vertex Alpha as B3D Files, so I only have to load and position them using the Interior Dropper. Now when I try to adjust the EntityAlpha on the entire Mesh, Blitz ignores it (as seen with Maplet Meshes as well):

Is there a way to "resensitize" a .B3D to EntityAlpha? Or can I allow it using the Flags in the File Format?

bingman(Posted 2004) [#28]
Nifty.

Try adding a light source and rotating the whole thing.
Creates a rotating 'police light'effect.

B.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#29]
Very nice work jfk :o)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#30]
Exhumation? o_O

Happy Sammy(Posted 2007) [#31]
Does anyone still has "BloomFilter.bb" or updated sunbeams.zip?