Crap Dropper

Community Forums/Showcase/Crap Dropper

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#1]
I am working on a new Lightmapper. Well in fact it's an old lightmapper :) It's based on YAL (the version modified by sswift to prevent too much bleeding)

I just added a gui and some Mesh exporting code. There are still some bugs, especially one UV problem that I try to fix. Is this is once fixed, I'll release it asap. But of course, it is a very simple lightmapper and it still lacks of a lot of features that I will probably implement in later versions.

Here you can see a Room that was made with Maplet. Then I added a chair and a box which was rotated. Then lights and a lighmap where applied. So the pipeline could be: maplet>crapdropper>decorator.

I really hope this UV Problem is solved soon. BTW. CrapDropper is only a working title (well, you never know :) )

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#2]
Will there be a professional edition crapdropper?

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#3]
crapdropper Pro?
CrapDropper XP?
CrapDropper MX?

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#4]
looks cool,jfk and a great name

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#5]
No pro edition :) I think it's no competition for the existing lightmappers cause (at least by now) it is much simpler and doesn't feature so many functions. It only fills the gap of maplet that didn't allow to import/merge Meshes. So this tool will allow to make a map with maplet, add things and then make a lightmap for the whole map, including furniture etc.
And of course it's going to be freeware.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#6]
How about "Drop LSD" fro a name?!

Lightmap
Scene and
Decorate

No?!

OK...

Anyway... Looks super cool hip and trendy, although if it's anything like your last dropper I personally will hate the interface :)... however... it's looking good so far.

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#7]
What gui are you using?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#8]
The XLnt Gui. (yes, Yappy, I'll register soon) I really like the menus. Well those icons are not the right ones yet.

Rob - the interface will be not exactly the same, although it is still a fly-trough-and-drop-things scene editor. So there won't be a 4 Views Editor like in 3d studio, CShop etc. personally I think this mode is the best since it is real WYSIWYG and you even don't have to check the result. Once familar with it, it's very productive IMHO.

Currently the Parameter Interface is a bit unfriendly, eg. to alter an objects Y-Position you need to click the up/down buttons of a gadget or enter a value. I'll try to add some alternative possibilities.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#9]
I was half joking with the interface JFK, the reason I couldn't use your last one was that there were over 700 key combinations to make things happen! :)

Can I suggest that you have a key/option to get a view from directly above, I think this might make certainly placement easier.

And I'm guessing you don't like the name DropLSD then?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#10]
Rob - ok, you only had to press H once to get a list of all hotkeys onscreen. As for "LSD" I am not sure right now :°). Not sure about the top view as well, since this will require to implement a completely diffrent/alternative locator, eg. a grid as seen in maplet or droplet. Maybe in a later Version.

@All:
Well, I tried to fix this bug, without success, and another guy who worked on the source was eigther able to fix it.

So I ask you, maybe somebody knows the problem: This YAL Version works ok when I use a low number of lights with a low brightness. But as soon as I try to set th brightness of say 3 lights to something like 3.0, then it messes up the UV Coords some way.

Here's a pic:

What could be the cause for such a stüüpid behaviour? (probably stüüpid deedee comin into my lab... ;) </OT> )

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#11]
Ok, I think this problem is solved: the lightmapper used to skip mapping when the remaining Polygons didn't fit on the texture anymore. Increasing the lumelsize or the texturesize fixes this, although a bigger lumelsize makes the shadows somewhat rough and details are missing.

pheeeewwwww! No I can relax, create some icons and then load this thingy up soonish.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#12]
progressing nicely, any suggestions for a name? i mean, byside lsd dropper :)

Panno(Posted 2004) [#13]
Lightgiver 1
or call it "Birne"

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#14]
"THE UNDARKENER"

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#15]
Bah DropLSD I think is a great name! :)

Ok...

LEPT

Lightmapper
Entity
Placement
Tool

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#16]
"Illuminator"

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#17]
Illumination
Nicification
Entity
Placement
Tool

:)

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#18]
Light
Illumination
Gile[s] beating :)
Hefty
Tool

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#19]
"BLITZIBULB"
"LIGHTYMAP" (featuring a funny assistant called lighty)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#20]
Thanks for the suggestions (lol at perturbatio :D ).

I like the idea that the level is in fact not completely illuminated after the lightmapping, but objects produce shadows where there was light before. First idea was "YinYang Mapper", featuring black and white as a status quo.

Then again it's a small and simple tool, So maybe it should be something like EcoLite or LiteMapper, or FreeLite.

Ok, after thingking about it some time and some cups of coffe, I came to the conclusion, that:

Slim Shady Lightmapper

would be a funny name that is also kinda descriptive. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.