New Blitz IDE in Development

Community Forums/Showcase/New Blitz IDE in Development

behp(Posted 2004) [#1]
Im not sure if this is the correct category, but anyways...

I started a project a few weeks ago
and while working on it(A game im making) ive seen that the Blitz IDE is not very good to say the least so I decided before I continue with my game I will build my own IDE since All the IDE's I found dont come close to what I need for the size of the game I plan, So Im posting here a description of the IDE and its most powerfull features so you can tell me if any of you would be interested in this for your own usage... This is because If I build it only for myself (If none of you want it) and it will not be very user friendly (So i can build it as fast as I can)...
And If you are interested then I will put in more effort and maybe I could consider make it commercial...

So here goes:
Blitz IDE - Feature Description

1. Visual Studio .NET Interface
2. Fully customizble Color Coding Editor
3. Multy Document Support
4. Built-in Packers/Unpackers
5. Visual Interface Builder (like the Form Editor of VS.net)
6. Fully Event oriented programming (Again Like VS 6 - with the dropdown of events)
7. Builtin Timer system (Which is implemented as events like onTimerTick or something like that)
8. Main bb File is generated by IDE at compilation so That all the inner callers for the interface and events are invisible to the programmer (not sure about this one, Maybe there will be an option to edit the generated code Like in VS.NET/C#)
9. Fully integated quick help (F1 button like in current Blitz IDE)
10. Full Command Completion and Verb/Variables/Types popup (Like in VS when you press CTRL+Space and it shows a list of all commands and variable with also the parameters for all functions)
11. Built in DLL Callers (Generates Code for DLL using COM, which will read if it can all the public functions in the DLL)

If you have more features to suggest then plase tell me...

And Plz tell me if this program would be usefull to you...

No matter what I do I will realease a BETA to the community for debugging and maybe a free version if I can Afford it...

I also have Ideas for little features (but not sure if it will be implemented) like:
1. Support for plugins to enhance functions
2. Built in tools like media viewer (models, sounds, avi and animation, images, text, etc...)
3. Color Picker tool, and various calculators...

So please tell me what you think

Thanks

Sebastian Bender
CG Artist and Programmer

Binary_Moon(Posted 2004) [#2]
I've never used it but I've only heard good things about Protean.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=40

Maybe that will save you the time of creating your own editor?

Of course if you still want to create your own editor then I wish you luck. Myself - I'm quite happy with Visual Blitz

behp(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yes Ive tried protean, and Even tho its great It lacks part of the features Ive specified...

Like the event system and the interface designer...

Ive posted this to see if it will be something that enough ppl will be interested so I make it commercial quality...

skn3(Posted 2004) [#4]
behp, http://www.playerfactory.co.uk check out GUIDE, I think if you combine protean with GUIDE plus some of the other user made tools aimed at blitz, you could more than likely get all the functionality and more.

Grisu(Posted 2004) [#5]
*sigh*
Why there are so many GUIs and not a single (finished) good free one?
Why is the native Blitz Ide not updated a "bit"?

behp(Posted 2004) [#6]
As I mentioned I intend to realease to the blitz community a Lite Version of My IDE Which will include:

- Multy Document support
- code auto complete
- color coding
- etc

Warren(Posted 2004) [#7]
It's great that you intend ... but everyone intends. Then they get bored after releasing their alpha version and drop it.

Grisu(Posted 2004) [#8]
EpicBoy you have read my mind. :)

If all people would work on one GUI... it could be great.

behp(Posted 2004) [#9]
I guess we will, see...
In about 6 years im programming, I havent droped a project before it was ready to use...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#10]
behp,

I'd just like to say good luck and all the best...

I probably won't be interested in purchasing it as I already am very happy with my IDE of choice but it sounds like a worthwhile project, if just to hone your coding.

I guess it will have to add a lot to move people from their chosen IDE (and be cheap too).