Kiwi Demo Released

Community Forums/Showcase/Kiwi Demo Released

coffeedotbean(Posted 2004) [#1]
Finaly we released a demo of Kiwi. Its not as full as we would of liked the first demo... but we finding it hard to get motivated after burning our selves out getting our other game finished for the publisher ( look out for Tweakie Tweak on Alawar.com in a few weeks ).

Download ALPHA demo (800kb)

Demo only has 1 level, the aim of the game is to collect the 4 key fragments to free the caged alien...nowt happens when you collect all the keys in this demo. Next demo will have multiple levels, a boss and better sfx and music.

Use cursor keys.

Comments welcome.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#2]
I like it! :)
It's very nice, the music isn't as annoying as most platformers.

Found a bug though... only one so far, but it's a biggy.

If you hold the right cursor key, walk up to a wall, keep holding the right cursor key and then hold the left one, you fall through the wall.
I actually managed to fall off the bottom of the screen doing this.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#3]
Oh, another one, if you hold right and left together, you walk right, but face left

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#4]
First of all, I wanted to say it looks great. It's so nice to see quality pixel art in todays 3D-dominated world.

A few small suggestions.
1. I would like to see more frames on the jump,... perhaps a frame on the way up and another on the way down would be enough. Right now the character seems very static in the air.

2. Also dealing with the jumps,... they seem a little "floaty" to me. I know this is probably a personal preference thing though. Edit: dunno, maybe this is ok the way it is.

Adding a sound to the jump might help too.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#5]
yup... screenshot looks real good...

for one of those 'cutsey' games... :)

lemme check this out... i haven't played one of these 2d scrollers in quite a while now...

--Mike

EOF(Posted 2004) [#6]
Good:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Great (cute) animation.
Quality visuals.
Nice characters.

Bad:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The movement/pace of the character is a little slow.
It takes far too long to recover from the 'dazed' state.

Ugly:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I could not reach one of the keys after they landed on the right-hand platform with the blue shrub on it.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2004) [#7]
All points taken on baord, thanks for the replies.

BTW, this is 1 world out of 5 planned, so more lovely gfx to come the artist if Ymer BTW, he made cosmo wars.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#8]
if keyleft
elseif keyright
endif

solves the double key phenomenon :)

Lovely lil game btw.

koekjesbaby(Posted 2004) [#9]
i always use:
horizontal = KeyDown(205)-KeyDown(203)
vertical = KeyDown(200)-KeyDown(208)
moveSomething(horizontal*speed, vertical*speed)

which actually stops the player if you press left and right or up and down.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2004) [#10]
horizontal = KeyDown(205)-KeyDown(203)
vertical = KeyDown(200)-KeyDown(208)
moveSomething(horizontal*speed, vertical*speed)

which actually stops the player if you press left and right or up and down.

To follow on from that - don't use keypresses to define movement animations but velocities. If the xspeed is telling you to move left then animate left and forget about what the keys say.

In terms of the actual game...

Visually it's really nice - but everyones told you that - and I echo the comments about the 'knocked out' animation length.

I could not reach one of the keys after they landed on the right-hand platform with the blue shrub on it.

I got hit once when I was at the top right of the screen and one of the keys went off the screen never to be seen again. Might want to sort that one out as well :)

Also it's too hard - I kept getting knocked out which I assume would loose me a life in the game. You should add an energy bar/ hearts system, or make the controls more responsive so that it's easier to avoid the bad guys. Of course it could just be that this is a demo and you're chucking all the bad guys and stuff at us to show that they are available :)

Teddyfles(Posted 2004) [#11]
Very nice! Especially the graphics and music. Makes me realize that the art I did for my game actually kind of sucks. :(

skn3(Posted 2004) [#12]
Nice so far. Here are my good/bad/addition :

Good
- Nice graphics
- Fun to play
- Oldskool rox

Bad
- Not enough animation. Especialy in the main character. Most noticbly, there is no idle animation.
- Levels seem a bit static.
- The jump doesn't seem very smooth.. a bit sharp on the old up-down
- keys should land at a set height. 4 keys flew out onto the same platform, but they landed at different heights.

Things to add maybe
- combo points for stomping on multiple enemies without landing (like in mario)
- 2 player (this would be great fun, online would be great)

Heh, overall it is a very nice game so far, needs some tweaks, but I reckon it would do well.

googlemesilly(Posted 2004) [#13]
the graphics are really nice, but the gameplay seems
a bit slow and not flowing. The colours are really good.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#14]
I sometimes get MAV's when hitting monsters.

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#15]
OMG! First instinct from screenie, wooowwwiiiiies :D Haven't yet played it, but i cant wait to when i get home, so it better pl as well as it looks ;)

googlemesilly(Posted 2004) [#16]
i know the graphics are scrumptious ! :)