WIP of my Stunt Car Racer remake

Community Forums/Showcase/WIP of my Stunt Car Racer remake

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#1]
Here's a demo of my WIP Stunt Car Racer remake, currently called Damage.

There's a download link and 3 screenshots. The graphics are basic and there's no sound, race logic etc..., but you can bomb around, jumping the gaps and crashing.

http://www.jameskett.dsl.pipex.com/

Maybe I'll finish it someday, but I thought you might like to see it as it is.

Let me know what you think.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#2]
You've won me over. Addiction is there from the start...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#3]
Neat,

BTW where did you get the speedo dial?

Keep up the good work!

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#4]
I played Stunt Car Racer a lot on the c64 and this does have a similar atmosphere! I completed one lap after 10 or 20 restarts. ;) (BTW, I got an error message twice upon resetting the car, "memory access violation".)

I think this game/demo has a good feel to it, and great exhaust effects! Perhaps the steering should be easier, it is very easy to oversteer when coming out of a corner. (Perhaps the corners should be banked more to make it easier to go through them faster.)

In Stunt Car Racer there was this rollbar at the top of the screen that showed the damage your car had already sustained, I remember that this made for nice moments of "even though my car is almost broken in two, I WILL take that ramp at full speed". :)

And after leaving the track this crane would help you get back in the race, the car was swinging from left to right and you had to press the button at the right moment to land on the track, if I remember correctly.

Steve C ™(Posted 2004) [#5]
Very hard at first, but once you get used to the steering it's a joy to play! :)
This looks very promising. Keep up the great work.

Grisu(Posted 2004) [#6]
Nice work! - Although I don't like the mouse control very much.

Can you please make a "Racing Destruction" Set remake afterwards? ;)

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#7]
Looks good, although I found the steering very difficult.

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#8]
Thanks for the positive comments. The steering is pretty tricky (with a steering wheel it is much easier) but as Steve says you do get used to it with practice. I'm trying to get a balance between making it too easy to stay on the track and impossibly hard. So far it's probably too hard to drive, although it may depend upon your Window's mouse speed settings. Until I put in some form of adjustable mouse sensitivity you could try slowing your mouse down using the Window's control panel..?

I think the speedo dial I drew myself, although it may have been a photo that was modified. Feel free to use the texture if you want it.

Wonder what happened to the Racing Destruction set remake?

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#9]
I quite like it :)

The steering is a little sensitive at first, but you do get used to it. I don't think I could go very fast around the track though.

Also, I could see the skybox edges quite clearly (I only actually noticed it in the rear-view mirror, but still).

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#10]
yes, I noticed that too. I think it's a UV mapping bug, perhaps with the rear view camera not having mip-mapping enabled or something.

Notice that the rear view mirror doesn't reverse the view like it does in real life...can't see a way to solve that apart from rendering to a texture a mirroring it.

Andy(Posted 2004) [#11]
Looks nice, but dude, FPS controls are not suitable in a racing game... Use cursor keys or even better a joystick...

Andy

Eric(Posted 2004) [#12]
Just throwing something out about the rear view mirror... Can you scale the camera into the negative?? I have never tried it, but hey why not try.

Regards from a novice,
Eric

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#13]
The original game helps the player to keep the car straight by aligning it automatically. If there's no input from the player, it will align the car to the direction of the road, except if you are in the air.

In addition the game allows you to release the joystick or keys once you pressed it forward once, and the car will automatically keep accelerating. This makes steering easier, and it also allows the above "auto alignment" to work while accelerating at the same time. If you pull the joystick back it will brake, and if at that point you again release the joystick the car will be in neutral.

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#14]
NEW DEMO #2

OK - new demo up (DAMAGE_2.ZIP) at the same place http://www.jameskett.dsl.pipex.com/

It's now joystick or wheel only, and the car is much more stable than before. I've been blasting around the track and it's pretty easy to lap now under normal power, although it gets harder if you try to use the boost to get a faster laptime, which is the sort of gameplay balance I was after.

I've also added a ground plane for no good reason other than it adds a bit of perspective to the visuals.

The motion blur under boost has been turned down a bit so you can still see where you're going.

Currently you will have lost the in-air balance control that was there before, so I suggest you lift slightly at the crest of jumps to prevent the nose diving down. Once you get the hang of it you can pull off a pretty flat jump.

Please have a look and let me know if you can control it OK.

Ta
James

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#15]
Well thanks, Since I saw tok in action with that car config tool this game has been on my mind, So now that Iv seen that a good representation of it can be done I hope you dont mind if I join you in doing a remake ;)

Looks good by the way, car handling needs to be really firm, you really should not be able to spin off track.

And IMHO it found its feet on the Amiga 500, well thats where I played it to death anyway ;)

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#16]
The controls in the new version are great!

Oh, and you can make the seam in the skybox disappear if you load the textures with the ClampU and ClampV flags. I think that's 16+32 in numbers.

Keep it up!

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#17]
Thanks Fredborg, I shall alter the code accordingly...
...yep, that worked just fine! Cheers for that hint!

Yavin: I'd welcome a bit of (friendly) competition - are you planning to use Blitz and Tokamak as I'm doing? Do you have any work done or screenshots?

re. the car handling - I think I've found a balance I like in that last version - it requires a bit of skill to make it around the corners and jumps, but not too much, until you start going for fast times using the turbos, when it becomes much more challenging. The original SCR made it quite hard to leave the track and it was impossible to spin or slide, which I did enjoy at the time but now it feels a bit inflexible and limiting. I quite like the current feeling of being on the limit around the corners, with the car bouncing and banging around.

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#18]
The control in this second demo is much better. I tried it out with a analog joypad and it works like a charm. Good improvement.

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#19]
Cheers zawran - good to hear it works OK with a joypad.

Andy(Posted 2004) [#20]
Now we're cooking! The controls are much better.

-The wheels are turning too fast though!
-The rear view mirror needs to be scaled negatively.

The wheels seem to be jumping all over the place, even though there are no bumps.

Have you considered coupling the throttle to the throttle on the joystick.

Andy

LarsG(Posted 2004) [#21]
Damn it.. I don't have a joystick or a steeringwheel..
and I REALLY wanted to try this... *sob*

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#22]
http://www.jameskett.dsl.pipex.com/damage_2.zip is not found.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#23]
http://www.jameskett.dsl.pipex.com/DAMAGE_2.zip

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#24]
Ahhh! uppercase filename, lowercase extension, that's the only one I didn't try :)

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#25]
Lars: OK, I've put up a version that allows you to select mouse or joystick/wheel controls in-game with F1 and F2. The mouse controls feel much better since the changes made earlier so it should be OK.

Andy: the throttle and brake use the throttle and brake pedals on steering wheels, which will relate to up and down on a joystick, so I'm afraid that's the way it will have to stay. Only flight-sim joysticks have throttles on them, whereas the current method will work with any stick, any wheel and any joypad.

re. the wheels - unfortunately Tokamak has no form of spring system so it's all a bit of a cheat, so the wheels going mad seems to be an unavoidable side effect. Maybe once Sweenie has added the SENSORS to the DLL then I can revamp the suspension system and make it more realistic. I don't know why you think the wheels are turning too fast though - they are physics objects and are spinning at that speed to roll along the ground - perhaps the texture makes them look incorrect?

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#26]
Hmm, scaling the rear-view camera negatively makes all the polys turn inside out...

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#27]
Verd, No m8 not done anything on it yet, Iv spent about 15 hours adding up now collecting old screen shots and game info, I want it to be really close to the original while still being all of my own media and content, So I will be going for the original car handling.

And yes I will be using Tokamak and Blitz, its going to be my test project to introduce me to tokomak as I havent done anything with it yet. So it will be a nice learning project, and should provide me with a nice game at the end.

Still need to do some readon though tokomak does seem a bit hard to get my head round.

LarsG(Posted 2004) [#28]
Thanks Vorderman.. noe I can try it too.. :P

Andy(Posted 2004) [#29]
>Hmm, scaling the rear-view camera negatively makes all the
>polys turn inside out...

Damn... I am sure I saw a stupidly easy way of doing rear view mirrors a few months ago, either here or on bc... Somebody else must remember it!

EDIT: How about rendering the camera to texture, then placing a textured quad, turning away from the driver, in front of the seat and then entityfx 16 it.

Andy

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#30]
also V, you might consider adding the option for the player to reverse joystick (inverse) controls... everything worked backwards on one of my machines...

otherwise, everything else seemed to run extremely well...

hey, make a game outta this... either a monte carlo type racing thingee, a downhill soapbox racing game, or even a nascar closed oval type racer...

you've already got all the hard stuff done it looks lile...

something like this could be fun...

--Mike

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#31]
There is a few issues with thrust. For a normal car, the effect of the engine is about equivalent to how much the speeder is being pressed, the wheel speed is the engine rotation speed * a gear factor. Try to use these rules, you won't necesarily need more than one gear.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#32]
hey V... the reversed joystick controls only occurred on the external view... fps seems ok...

--Mike

EOF(Posted 2004) [#33]
Hi James,

I'm getting heavy screen flickering/tearing when the demo is in play although the 'F1 to start' section is fine.
I see lots of bands showing different parts of the background (skybox). System specs below.

If you can put a screenshot key in the next demo I can show you what I mean.

Any chance of keyboard controls? I'm playing this on a laptop and the touch pads a very difficult control method.
Something like:

Cursors: Steer
A: Accelerate
Z: Decelerate
LeftShift: Boost

Laptop specs:
-------------------------------------
ATI Radeon 9200 64MB VRAM (dedicated)
WinXP
512MB
3.06Ghz

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#34]
Great little demo! Barely had any noticable physics errors except imbedding the car into a wall (whadya expect at 200 mph)

Yeah, how the speed up/reverse works is a little wierd. Maybe a brake option?

Sounds, obviously would make this way cooler.

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#35]
Very cool! I played it for quite a while. Needs a loop though :-)

I too embedded the car in a wall by crashing at high speed.

Also, is there a way to get a "3rd person" perspective? I find it a lot easier to drive with the camera above and behind the car.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#36]
Try a driver update Jim.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#37]
tried it on my internet machine but could n't get it running.
will try it on my work machine. looks cool though

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#38]
Rottbott: try pressing the number keys - there are some extra views in there.

Hi Jim,
...about the tearing....it's using render tweening and FLIP FALSE, so it's not waiting for a vertical blank. I guess perhaps my Radeon 9800 is set to vsync on - can you try that on yours?

I too have imbedded the car in the wall by hitting it really really fast - not too sure how to solve that, short of blowing up the car and resetting it on track.

BREAKING NEWS - just discovered that with a bit of tweaking it can play really well as a rally sim - power oversteer, balanced on the throttle, lift-off oversteer, locking the wheels with the brakes etc... I've made a test track using the rutted road idea that Richard Burns Rally is using, and it works very well indeed - you spend the whole time going sideways and it's great fun (with a steering wheel). I need to change the graphics and sort out a real world rally car, but I've always wanted to do a rally game.

Sorry to anyone interested in the Stunt Car Racer thing, but I've been bitten by the rally bug so I'm going to try that for a while.

I might release the Stunt Car source code at some point if I don't continue with at as there's no point it just sitting on my hard-drive benefitting no-one.

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#39]
Vorderman: Get the rally car demo out pronto mate. Sounds great.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#40]
Quit messing about and make a full driving game for us lot :)

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#41]
Fun, needs engine sound as soon as you can get around to it though :).

I played with Sidewinder wheel and no force feedback (winXP <> Sidewinder wheel) and it responded well to aggressive driving because there's no oversteer - making it the most demandingly fast wheel turning i've ever driven !

starfox(Posted 2004) [#42]
[Sigh..]
Why 32bit?
I can't run that

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#43]
404, not found, both upper and lowercase names.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#44]
>>[Sigh..]
Why 32bit?
I can't run that<<

upgrade dude...

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#45]
whoops - some moron deleted the file. It's back now so please try again.

Andy(Posted 2004) [#46]
Render the camera to texture, then place a textured quad with U coords reversed in front of the driver does it!

Damn, some times thinking is seriously dificult!

Andy

Rob(Posted 2004) [#47]
The tiger super six stuff is great. Do you get it in kit form?

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#48]
Thanks BloodLocust - yes I did get it in kit form - just a bare chassis frame and a box full of bits. It's nearly complete, maybe a couple of months or so until I can start the engine and drive it.