BatNav First Peek

Community Forums/Showcase/BatNav First Peek

semar(Posted 2004) [#1]
Just wanted to show the progress of my new project: BatNav.

It's like the classic 2D game called Battleship, played on paper, and mixed with 3D.

The game engine is ready, I'm right now tweaking it. The blue boxes are placeholders, and will be substituted by nicer ship models.

Hints, critics and suggestions are more than welcome !

A rather old shot, but should give the idea:

Sergio.

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#2]
If you need a proper HUD system I can heartily recommend using sswift's!

Looks very interesting... will it have AI opponents? What about internet or play-by-e-mail functionality?

Cheers,

Ryan

semar(Posted 2004) [#3]
Hum, about HUD I don't really know if use it or not, because the grid where to point and shoot, should be clear in order to better look at it, so I would not use the whole HUD potentiality, such for example EntityAlpha. But I may change opinion...

And yes, it will have up to four opponents - right now only one - either pc controlled or human. That means you could play against 4 friends, or against 4 opponents mixed between pc and friends. The virtual players will be managed by the machine which has started the game.

Initially will be only playable locally. Then I will add LAN and Internet multiplayer using GNet.

E-mail playing - well I didn't think about it, and sincerely I don't know if it is a good think or not, since I would like to make a quite frantic game, to be 'consumed' quickly... but it's not bad at all as idea, I tell you.

Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Sergio.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#4]
i like the mix of 3d with the old 2d board game...

perhaps something like this...

when a battleship moves to a spot on the grid, and the other guys ship or sub, is nearby, you could cut scene to the 3d sonar or radar room (nothing elaborate, mainly dark with a sonar screen and some chatter or pinging sounds)...

then, on the next move, when you move over the same grid as his, you cut to a 3d scene where the battleship is firing its guns, or dropping depth charges...

conversely, if you happen to be the guy in the sub, you are in a 3d sub being pummelled by dcs...

all the while the grid remains on the screen.

yes... no... :)

anyway, i like your original idea of mixing the 2D and 3D... it adds a new slant to a familiar game...

--Mike

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#5]
If you need some help with the ship models I would love to help if you need it! : )

.X, .B3D, .3DS... post me!
-Rook

semar(Posted 2004) [#6]
@Red Ocktober,
thanks for your ideas. I'll probably stick with the original behaviour of the game though; at least in the first release, because I like the concept of semplicity - which usually means also gameplay.

There are already some basic animations for shooting and hitting, but I prefer not to say to better preserve the surprise... :)

@Rook Zimbabwe,
your offer is really kind. Right now it happens that I'm trying to get the grasp with Milkshape and Unwrap, to see how far I can go with modelling and texturing. Since I don't have any experience about it, this game could be a good occasion for me to make some experience with modelling.

I will definately consider your offer anyway, so stay tuned m8 !

:)

Sergio.