Platypus on Gamehouse...

Community Forums/Showcase/Platypus on Gamehouse...

RocketGnome(Posted 2004) [#1]
Got a newsletter from GameHouse today in my email...
(The guys that made Collapse!, Richochet etc.)

..and low and behold, the beloved Blitz game "Platypus" was featured..

Congratulations Anthony!!

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#2]
I believe it's also the featured game on Real.

RiK(Posted 2004) [#3]
The revised version published by retro 64 is excellent, just the right amount of tweaking... especially keeping your power-ups after you die..

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#4]
The revised version published by retro 64 is excellent, just the right amount of tweaking... especially keeping your power-ups after you die..
Is it any easier?

LineOf7s(Posted 2004) [#5]
It is on 'Easy' mode (Mike 'swerdnik' Boeh) added difficulty levels, amongst other things. Put it this way: I loved the Platypus demo when it came out, but it wasn't until it was rejigged that I bought it.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#6]
The new version is mint. Although I still don't think there was owt wrong with the old version. Except it's lost its difficulty.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#7]
I thought the first one was too difficult (for me at least).

It's on a games compilation CD in GAME as well.

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#8]
I bought that game compilation pertubatio (family arcade games?)

Its a demo version.. in fact quite a lot of games are on there are demos.. what a rip off

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#9]
Yay! Ah, if only my logo was still on it...

And, well, it'd be nice if I was getting a slice of the money... but that's my problem. I'd be happy with the logo.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#10]
/me bows down to Anthony Flack

big10p(Posted 2004) [#11]

I bought that game compilation pertubatio (family arcade games?)

Its a demo version.. in fact quite a lot of games are on there are demos.. what a rip off

Yeah, i saw that one. There are other compilations, by the same publisher, with the full game on, though. About 10 full games on each vol, I think. Load of GFK's stuff on 'em, too.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#12]
Perhaps you can exchange links with mike of retro64? I'm sure it's a doable thing.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#13]
The Flack is back! How's Cletus doing?

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#14]
Now that he's back, approximately half as well as it was going previously, I guess.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#15]
I'm not very back. These forums are just too much of a time-pit.

Cletus is still coming along, but I have tragically little time to work on it these days. Usually I'm not free until after midnight and by then I'm shattered.

But, I keep plugging away. It's not going to die; it'll get here one day.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#16]
It had better. It's going to be the first indie game I ever buy.

RiK(Posted 2004) [#17]
Well I bought Platypus - twice... so I'll be right there at the front of the queue for Cletus too :)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#18]
Platypus is the currently featured hot download at http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ right now.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#19]
Why not just make a new thread, man? You didnt have to dig this one up.

Nice, good for you.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#20]
Michael Reitzenstein made the mac port for platypus afaik... just some mindless trivia.

So if you've a mac you might want to look at retro64's mac section.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#21]
I didnt want to make a whole new thread just to say that, overkill.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#22]
Whats with people being anal about threads being bumped anyway? It's fun... lighten up

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#23]
Yah, what the heck is wrong with bumping threads?
Is it too hard to comprehend how it has so many replies to it even though it's only just materialized?

It saves space, thus a faster web site, faster search function, and happier forum. And since everyone complains about all of those things, you are forced to agree.

Nice to see Platypus still doing well.
Now, I want Cletus Clay!!!!

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#24]
Shame Mr Flack does not really see a penny from it. He sold the whole game, IP and all to Idigicon long ago for very little money. Mike Boeh had the foresight to make a deal with Idigicon for it (the details are none of my business)... at least it means his game is having the appreciation it deserves.

I think he's spent way too long bringing cletus to the market but it's gonna be a good game I think.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#25]
late last year I emailed him about his game and experience of selling it etc and he was really kind and replied to loads of my questions. As OEJ says he sold the IP for peanuts but coulda made pooploads by now. There is a lesson there, try not to get to desperate and sell early if you really think your game is gonna be a winner!

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2005) [#26]
It's tragic that Anthony isn't getting any money from the extreme success of his game. I guess Anthony could write a short "what not to do" for all the indie newbies.

My hat off for making such a great game and condolences for the lack of generated income. :\

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#27]
As OEJ says he sold the IP for peanuts but coulda made pooploads by now. There is a lesson there, try not to get to desperate and sell early if you really think your game is gonna be a winner!

I think people underestimate Mike's contribution to the success of Platypus. People talk as though selling the game is the easy bit ( and I'm sure many believe this to be the case ) and that Mike was just smart enough to get a good deal and watch the cash roll in. It's certainly true that he saw a good deal and grabbed it, but he's put a lot of work into making it a success. Yes, it's certainly a shame that Anthony doesn't get more from the success, but it's perfectly possible that he could have ignored Idigicon, sold it himself, and made a lot less than he got from the deal with Idigicon.

And either way, the success of Platypus is going to stand him in very, very good stead for the release of Cletus.

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#28]
As I mentioned, I lurved the game originally (and mad props to Mr Flack), but I didn't actually buy it until after the retro64 tweakage. So yeah, Mr Boeh made his mark.

Regardless of any woulda-coulda-shouldas though, Platypus' reign at the top of the charts has certainly cemented Anthony's position as a Blitz God - and that's nothing to be sneezed at.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2005) [#29]
Michael Reitzenstein made the mac port for platypus afaik... just some mindless trivia.

Yeah, I did the bb->bmx conversion. Hope my dodgy coding holds up without too much trouble... so much for a 'soft' release!

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#30]
Whats with people being anal about threads being bumped anyway? It's fun... lighten up

LoL, YOU tell me to lighten up? The embodiement of darkening up? heheh... anyway, i dont like old threads being bumped because i dont read the time it was posted. If it appears as new thread in my list that day, i read it, and when you read things like "maybe they will make BlitzMax" and think it was said yesterday, youre like "WTF?"

And no, i cant be bothered reading dates all the time, i just skim most stuff.

@Angel, new thread or old one bumped, it still occupies the first page of threads and thats what counts.

In fact, i dont really mind at all!!!! :) hahaha ..........

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#31]
You nutter :)