Chaos - Fractal Explorer

Community Forums/Showcase/Chaos - Fractal Explorer

Shane(Posted 2004) [#1]
An early version of a fractal explorer. At the moment it's limited to seven fractal types including the usual Mandelbrot Beetle and Julia sets but also with Newton-Raphson approximation, Sierpinski Gasket and Fractal Ferns amongst others.

The GUI is not yet completed although the program is functional.

Clicking on any + or - signs will increase/decrease the related variable.

Press g or click the right mouse buton to start generating the fractal (although beware on the Mandelbrot and Julia pages as right clicking will also zoom out).

Once the fractal has rendered press s to save a screenshot in the same directory as Chaos is installed (there is no confirmation but the program will not overwrite any file).

Left click on the screen to zoom in if appropriate.

Basic information on each fractal type is available within the program (this will be expanded upon).

The full source is not openly available but I have included a blitz basic file within the zip that includes drawing functions for all seven fractal types.

I have designated this as version 0.5 as it is certainly not finished yet but I will hopefully find time to update it shortly.

The program can be downloaded from here:
http://www.dpw-shane.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/downloads/chaos.zip

Andy(Posted 2004) [#2]
Damn... It's time to get some sleep... I was certain that the topic said 'Chaos - Rectal Explorer'...

Andy

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
Sounds painful. Could make an interesting game though. No, wait, I meant to say "disturbing." Could make a disturbing game.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#4]
You'll certainly disturb something exploring rectally...

big10p(Posted 2004) [#5]
Anyway...

Those fractals look real Nice. Good job, Shane!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#6]
Very useful stuff, thanks a lot for sharing. I'm gonna use it for procedural textures for tree leafs in a randomly created landscape - as soon as I got some spare time. Very handy.

Shane(Posted 2004) [#7]
Thanks for the comments. Glad you like it.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#8]
Beautiful stuff,

amazed you came up with this stuff, you are obviously a maths guru...

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#9]
Don't knock it until you try it.

Shane(Posted 2004) [#10]
@Boiled Sweets - yeah, I'm rather sad. I've got a first class degree in Mathematics from Sheffield University (UK), but that was a few years ago now.

I've made simple fractal programs in every language that I've dabbled in (Commodore Basic, AMOS, C, VB, Delphi etc.).

I forgot to mention earlier that this one is limited to the number of zooms that you can make before it looks blocky because Blitz 3D doesn't have very accurate floating point numbers (and no doubles).

Andy(Posted 2004) [#11]
Hey it's cool... I made a similar program in AMOS once...

Andy

Shane(Posted 2004) [#12]
I've just updated the program so that you can choose your preferred screen resolution (up to 1024x768). Please note though that, as yet, I haven't included any error checking routines so make sure that you graphics card can display the correct resolution.

http://www.dpw-shane.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/downloads/chaos.zip

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#13]
I tried your sources and I like it very much. Unfortunately I was too dumb to modify the farn example in a way to let it "grow" from the right bottom corner to the left top side, so I could use it as procedural Texture for lowpoly Trees.

Shane(Posted 2009) [#14]
Wow, has it been four years since I last did any programming??

Other things have taken over my life in the last few years (got married, moved house twice, changed jobs three times, tried getting into photography etc.) and so I haven't been spending time on the programming side of things however I've managed to find some time to do a little bit recently and thought I'd start with something simple like a couple of small updates to my Chaos program.

It's now at version 0.53 but hasn't changed too much since the last time it was mentioned on here (with the exception of the Mandelbrot routine that now includes a better GUI - updates to the other fractal routines will hopefully follow shortly).

The program can be checked out here:
http://www.dpw-shane.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/blitzbasic.htm#chaos

I suppose I now need to read 4 years worth of posts on the forum!!!

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#15]
wow time flies.. thanks for the update

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#16]
I love fractal programs, good one. 4 years, wow!

Shane(Posted 2009) [#17]
Thanks for the comments. I've put another update on the site today. The Julia set and Newton-Raphson method drawing routines have had the same "makeover" as the Mandelbrot Beetle (new toolbars and better drawing routines so that the mouse pointer doesn't freeze). Also the Newton-Raphson method now includes a simple zoom function (same as Mandelbrot and Julia).

http://www.dpw-shane.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/blitzbasic.htm#chaos

Hopefully more soon,

Shane

Shane(Posted 2009) [#18]
It's now up to version 0.55 (the new toolbars now appear in all Fractal types, the mouse pointer doesn't lock up anymore, and a small dialog box appears just to confirm success when you try saving an image).

Link is still the same as above (the zip file is now 1.19mb in size)

Shane