Shadow of the Beast

Community Forums/Showcase/Shadow of the Beast

cbmeeks(Posted 2004) [#1]
Not the complete game, but the scrolling demo.

http://signaldev.com/pub/sotb.zip

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
Um.. Well... It uses more memory than the whole of the original game, it looks like you've got some unused media in the media directory too.

But yes, it looks like the amiga version... for some reason I'm not that impressed :(

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#3]
Close but no cigar!

Don't ever mix different resolutions, the 'shadow of the beast' logo is too detailed, and the psygnosis logo is too low res.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#4]
I seem to have memories of the game looking darker than that.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#5]
But yes, it looks like the amiga version... for some reason I'm not that impressed :(
When the original SOTB ran equally well despite it being on a 14MHz Amiga with 1Mb RAM, you can't really be too impressed when today's most bog-standard computers are more than a hundred times faster with more than 500 times the memory capacity.

Nice enough demo, just far from groundbreaking.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#6]
SOTB is one of my all time favorite games. It's a defining game for me. I don't need to make excuses for it's playability - I just love the game.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#7]
I don't get it, if you love an old game, then why don't you make a NEW version? Combining the original gameplay with some better graphics, and maybe some new features.

Andy(Posted 2004) [#8]
>I don't get it, if you love an old game, then why don't
>you make a NEW version? Combining the original gameplay
>with some better graphics, and maybe some new features.

Because playing the original is like coming home from a trip into the strange demented void called the world.

Andy

cbmeeks(Posted 2004) [#9]
Jesus Christ people...It's just a cheesy demo.

Those guys over at Dark Basic had one and I just wanted to make one better.....damn..just wanted to show something....Besides, they seemed to like it over at BC

Um.. Well... It uses more memory than the whole of the original game, it looks like you've got some unused media in the media directory too.

Of course it uses more memory. Why? Because I scaled everything up to fit a 640x480 screen. The Amiga version used 320x200. So, that alone made the graphics 4 times bigger. Plus, if you look at the "background.png" file, it's 128k. I threw that in as a quicky. The original version used a copper-list to change the background colors on the fly...it didn't load any graphics for the background. Blitz can do that but not as easily and besides....it's 128k...no big deal for a quicky demo. Also, most of the size comes from the media (scaled up) and the BB exe which everyone knows is a little bloated. Also, the Amiga could use 4-bit graphics which is smaller than the 16/32 bit PNG files I use.

Unused media? Maybe a little but so what. I paid $2.99/hour for internet access 11 years ago. Now, it's cheap and truely unlimited for me. Maybe you're on a slow dialup...dunno. All I know is that I didn't even remotely try to optimize it.

Close but no cigar!

Don't ever mix different resolutions, the 'shadow of the beast' logo is too detailed, and the psygnosis logo is too low res.

Close??? Are you kidding? There are only three things I can see that I am a little dissapointed with.

1) The scrolling has a very small glitch if you look hard.

2) The blimps are guestimated....they just come out at random times.

3) I didn't frame-limit the scrolling.

On my machine it is CLOSE to perfection...as far as reproducing the feeling I got watching that scrolling on the Amiga years ago.

And as far as matching resolutions...well, the Psygnosis logo was a very small logo I found on the 'net. I didn't look very hard. Besides, I don't think it looks that bad.

When the original SOTB ran equally well despite it being on a 14MHz Amiga with 1Mb RAM, you can't really be too impressed when today's most bog-standard computers are more than a hundred times faster with more than 500 times the memory capacity.

Nice enough demo, just far from groundbreaking.

The original SOTB ran on a STOCK Amiga 500/2000/1000 which was 7.14 Mhz. NOT 14. In fact, SOTB had major problems running on anything faster than 7.14MHz....and it ran with 512k of Ram. I wasn't going for groundbreaking...I was going for retro. And I am fully aware of the awesome abilities the Amiga had (I actually own four Amigas).

Also keep in mind that the Amiga had dedicated hardware for scrolling and sprites. And while SOTB WAS groundbreaking, they also had fulltime programmers (three I think) that probably worked months to get that out of a 7.14Mhz machine. I did it in about 2 hours....and that 2 hours included a lot of tweaking and downloading and goofing off.

I don't get it, if you love an old game, then why don't you make a NEW version? Combining the original gameplay with some better graphics, and maybe some new features.

Nostalgia? Besides, how many programmers do you know that could actually IMPROVE on the art in SOTB? Well, I surely can't.

Sorry guys, I normally take criticism well...just must be in a bad mood...I think everyone missed the point....or maybe I should have explained my point.

Retro...retro...

Besides, the Dark Basic version SUCKS.

-cbmeeks

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#10]
cbmeeks is right.

And about that running on A500... As an experienced Amiga coder I can say that coding that kind of parallax scrolls was really easy. And it didn't require a lot of effort to do the kind of things that were done in SOB. The only groundbreaking thing about the game were the graphics. They were out of this world... considering the colour and resoluton limits.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#11]
erm if this aint your first project then, erm. whats the big deal and im sure you have already posted this a few months back. did you actually change anything ? or is it just the same thing.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#12]
Not everything is posted because the author believes it's technically astounding or breaking new ground. Sometimes, it's just because he thought it was cool and wanted to share.

Leave him alone, people.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#13]
I have never even heard of the game, but the screenshot looks cool

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#14]
Ruz: where have you been living?? in a cave?... just kiddin :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#15]
amiga? what's that?
But I like that screenie. It has that 320*240ish style. Sometimes the retro feeling is very addicting these days.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#16]

amiga? what's that?

Heathen! Infidel!
Amiga 500
Amiga.de

Rob(Posted 2004) [#17]
As I said, I loved shadow of the beast

cbmeeks(Posted 2004) [#18]
Thanks EpicBoy. My point exactly.

erm if this aint your first project then, erm. whats the big deal and im sure you have already posted this a few months back. did you actually change anything ? or is it just the same thing.

First project? Been programming for 20 years. lol

I SIMPLY wanted to show the scrolling demo I did...jeesh.

cb

Rob(Posted 2004) [#19]
FFS lads, cbmeeks did NOT ask for feedback. You haven't got any right to critictise him. It's just a fun demo he's sharing...

For what it's worth it was a fun trip down memory lane.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#20]
I wasent I was only pointing out that im sure(might be wrong) that he has posted this same thread at least once before.

I was asking if he had changed anything in it, and if not then why re post. ?

I loved the game, and think its about time he takes his 20 years of programming, and does a good remake of it.

LineOf7s(Posted 2004) [#21]
And doesn't this one thread just sum up a large chunk of the Blitz Community these days. :o\ Sheesh - he's not even halo.

For what it's worth, I liked the 'cheesy demo' for the cheesy demo it is. At least he's not deluding himself into thinking it's going to be anything more someday, which is a pleasant change around here.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#22]
I liked it too, I merely suggested it could be improved :)

It might not have come off that way, but that's what I meant.

cbmeeks(Posted 2004) [#23]

I wasent I was only pointing out that im sure(might be wrong) that he has posted this same thread at least once before.

I was asking if he had changed anything in it, and if not then why re post. ?

I loved the game, and think its about time he takes his 20 years of programming, and does a good remake of it.

No, I had posted this on Blitz Coder but I am 90% sure I have never done it here....well, let me think about that...actually, I did a submit I think but never saw it posted...maybe I did it and never saw it??

Oh well...no harm no foul.

Oh, I am taking my 20 years of programming and doing a few other projects (not all games...I actually make a living programming) but SOTB is not one of them. No time. Maybe one day.

Thanks for the support you other guys...

cb

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#24]
Yeah im sure you did post it here. like I said I was really only asking if anything new had been added so I guess the answer is no.

and I didnt say I dont like it. I love the music its awsome. and it does look like I remember. which is also good.

RocketGnome(Posted 2004) [#25]
Thanks for sharing cbmeeks.

It flickered a little bit on my PC, but other than that, pretty damn close to the splash screen of the Amiga version.

On a side note.. as awful as Shadow of the Beast's gameplay was, it's still played better than a lot of games that are out there today.

Reflections was notorious for making incredibly difficult games. Its as though they designed all of their stuff with no sensitivity to the learning curve. Shadow of the Beast, Shadow of the Beast II, Awesome.. first levels were just as difficult as the 10th...

Come to think of it, Destruction Derby on the original playstation (Another reflections game) was difficult, pretty and uncontrollable.

David819(Posted 2004) [#26]
it looks like the real game but better.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#27]
The second Shadows Of The Beast 2 had to have one of the coolest intro sequences at the time and still to this day it is probably THE MOST #IMPOSSIBLE# GAME TO EVER COMPLETE WITHOUT USING INFINITE HEALTH CHEATS.

cbmeeks(Posted 2004) [#28]
Thanks guys.

Although, I disagree. Blood Money was more difficult than any SOTB IMHO.

cb

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#29]
Ruz: where have you been living?? in a cave?... just kiddin :)

damn!! my secret is out,
I nevr got in to the amiga . Just as I got in to computers it was just going down the pan.
I grew up on sega master system games like harate kid 11 and sonic.
I must admit a lot of the games you guys talk about I have never heard of

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#30]
Out of interest... why didn't you just run the demo in 320x240 rather than 640x480 and blow the graphics up x4?

RocketGnome(Posted 2004) [#31]
I imagine it's because a lot of modern video cards do not support a resolution that low. I know the cheapie PC's at work don't.

Réno(Posted 2004) [#32]
Or 320x200, this is the default DOS resolution...

NeoCraft(Posted 2004) [#33]
Heh heh heh... I did a beast demo a while back, but I didn't do it for PC. I did it for the Neo Geo gaming console. You can check it out at http://www.neobitz.com

Jeff

RocketGnome(Posted 2004) [#34]
Neo Geo.. gotta love a game system where the cartridges are roughly the size of a cereal box.