Galactic Allegiance

Community Forums/Showcase/Galactic Allegiance

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#1]
I know some of you have looked at the site/forums, but no feedback. I would really appreciate your comments/suggetions and criticisms as this will help to make things that much better. I am very new to this whole side of things, so I welcome all forms of input. Thanks!

_____________NOTE Meshes provided with current download are not open-source (only included for functionality)___________________

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
I don't mean to sound rude... but I will...

You site is dreadful... at first I didn't think it had loaded because the content starts off the screen.

Total over use of big bold colourful text, no menus, awful background graphic... It's just horrible... Sorry... but I didn't want to spend any time reading about any of your projects because the site was just so unpleasant to look at.

I would strongly recomend splitting it into a few pages or something... but it really needs a rethink.

Sorry for being off topic...

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#3]
As I said, ALL criticisms welcome - thank you, Rob. My incredible inability to design Web pages shows through eh?!
(I presume you meant the Coolsoft Developments site)
That's a bit old now, and was originally intended as just a quick intro page... You're dead right - it needs changing.

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#4]
Whilst the game looks ok (going by screenshots as I am at work and cannot play) reading up on the text though there are two things which spring to mind.

Firstly the game is quite an ambitious undertaking and according to your WIP section you do seem to have a minor aversion to finishing games, is it wise to attempt such a big project? Only you can give the answer to that one.

The thing that got me though was with the game concept itself, although comprehensive in covering everything that the genre has to offer you haven't really added anything new to it - so the question therefor is what do you want to get out of the project? Learning, enjoyment, completing a masterpiece? Then sure go for it.

But if it is sales or downloads you want then I think you need to take a look at the game concept. Graphically you are not exceeding the existing offerings, so you need to find an edge elsewhere.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanks Andy -

Firstly the game is quite an ambitious undertaking and according to your WIP section you do seem to have a minor aversion to finishing games, is it wise to attempt such a big project? Only you can give the answer to that one.

Indeed, but this is something I actually intend to finish and it is more enjoyable and possible. Many other projects began as tests to see if I could accomplish other ideas, these grew bit by bit until I was comfortable. Rather than scrap the whole lot, I kept my half-finished projects 'on the shelf' :)

Once the main framework is complete, and there is a substantial code/media base, I hope the Open-Source part comes to the fore, and input from other coders etc. will benefit the project as a whole.

The thing that got me though was with the game concept itself, although comprehensive in covering everything that the genre has to offer you haven't really added anything new to it - so the question therefor is what do you want to get out of the project? Learning, enjoyment, completing a masterpiece? Then sure go for it.

I have tried to incorporate all the aspects from other games of this genre and put them all into one. Personal satisfaction and the ability to play and enjoy the final result is certainly the major motivation. Also that I can finally share something with the community.

But if it is sales or downloads you want then I think you need to take a look at the game concept. Graphically you are not exceeding the existing offerings, so you need to find an edge elsewhere.

The Project, being Open-Source, will eventually be defined by the sum of all it's contributors. There will be no transfer of money regarding this project. Yes, the visuals so far are quite dated, especially compared to Eve-Online or X2-The threat, but so far, I am the only artist working on the project. Just recently someone has begun making meshes, but it will be a while before these are all finalised.

In all, I am hoping that the project will attract others of similar enthusiasm who feel that they may be able to 'do that bit better' or 'make better sprites than that' etc. Although as stated, it is still in its infancy, and I dont expect much interest for what is currently little more than a flight-simulator.