ALE+Blitzgrass+Blitztree

Community Forums/Showcase/ALE+Blitzgrass+Blitztree

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#1]
Had some time to play around with Skitchy's ALE (Advanced Landscape Editor) today and I can say I was very impressed by it. I'm waiting on skitchy's current revisions before releasing the new functional() additions to blitzgrass and blitztree which allow placement on ALE terrains via the >export heightmap function.

These terrains were all done in ALE and exported to a solid b3d chunk.

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
looks great!

dangerdave(Posted 2004) [#3]
Wow. Very nice looking.
Can you put together a demo where we can walk, with collisions?

AvestheFox(Posted 2004) [#4]
sweetness

Wayne(Posted 2004) [#5]
Fox, your sig should say: Role Play Based Community
8)

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#6]
Outstanding work. Alienhead only received A.L.E about 22 hours ago - that should give you some idea of how powerful A.L.E + BlitzGrass/Tree are.

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yeah, post a quick demo. I'd love to see the performance of the combined systems.

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#8]
Impressive looking shots. I second Cyberheater, can we see a demo of the systems working together please Alienhead, like the one you did for BlitzGrass, would be nice to see how well it runs since blitz terrains were slowing it down before :)

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#9]
I'm acutally waiting on a revision from skitchy, then i will release a runable demo... I was getting between 100 - 333 fps in the above shots.

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#10]
looks cool! why do the leaves have black bits around them? is that anything todo with the alpha maps of them?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#11]
Yeah, i noticed that too. You could change the mask colour of the leaves to a green or something :)

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#12]
It's not really a problem as this has been stated before - bgrass and btree support alpha or mask transperencies. Masking is faster so I elected to use it. Masking leaves outlines regardless of Ross C's suggestion. Alpha transperencies dosen't leave the lines but at the cost of a few fps.

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#13]
That looks brilliant - you should develop some form of outdoor stealth shooter with it - the level of foliage is enough to make it work. Of course, I don't know how large your landscape is in total though - the horizons look very close.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#14]
You can get rid of the outlines. Are you using the same textures for both alpha and masking?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#15]
@ Alien head. those screen shots look really nice.

Im wondering if you would be willing to put together a full throttle demo of blitz tree/grass .

I want to find out exactly how fast the system will run on my computer without using any sort of delta time or rendertweaning. as I think thats what its doing just now.

Its all to easy to make a demo of something like this look smooth with one of the methods mentioned above, even if the real life frame rate is shocking..

No offence again I love the detail.. I only hope that its as fast as I need.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#16]

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#17]
Of course you can change the textures :) Just click the 'Replace' button above any texture in the toolbar and load any image you like.
I have circumvented the need for different terrain sizes. Wait for the 1st update ...
[laughs like a bad bond villain]

sigi(Posted 2004) [#18]
Has anyone tested ALE with Particle Candy?
Are this two working together?
I have some Graphic Problems with this Combination.
Maybe my GraphicCard?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#19]
Could you be more specific than "graphic problems?" What exactly is happening? I'm rather curious what kind of conflict there could be since the two are completely unrelated used in Blitz.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#20]
I would rather like a demo to compare with sswifts system.

nrasool(Posted 2004) [#21]
Hi there, Sorry for resurrecting this topic :)

I'm waiting on skitchy's current revisions before releasing the new functional() additions to blitzgrass and blitztree which allow placement on ALE terrains via the >export heightmap function

Has this bit been released yet? I would like to use this function

Kind Regards

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#22]
Can't see the linked pics...
Not Found
The requested URL /temp/gtale1.jpg was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#23]
HI! I have ALE+BLITZTREE+BLITZGRASS and would also like to know how far this has gotten along. It would be cool if they workes seamlessly with eachother.

I cant see the pics either.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#24]
I made the revisions to ALE ages ago (this is an old thread) so you'll have to ask Alienhead. He's been busy with the new tree creator program though AFAIK ;)

nrasool(Posted 2004) [#25]
Hi Skitchy

Yeah i've asked Alienhead, over on his own forum, but not got a response yet. That why i thought i would resurrect this old thread. Hmm... Might need to email AlienHead

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#26]
Let us know what you find out nrasool, please. :)

nrasool(Posted 2004) [#27]
Hi Amon, Will do, i have just emailed Sabata asking the question. Hopefully he will respond

Will post the information here, when i get it.

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#28]

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#29]
I'm pretty sure the only thing that would need altering is any reference to the TerrainY() command.
As ALE uses standard meshes instead of Blitz terrains, you need to use a single linepick straight down instead.
I'd sort it out for you, but I don't own BlitzTree or BlitzGrass (yet) so I can't. I've posted the code to replace TerrainY on this forum before though, so do a search ;)

puki(Posted 2004) [#30]
Jeez, I am glad this thread was reinstated as I was under the impression when I bought BlitzTree3D that the intergration was already in effect. I haven't yet got ALE as I have "sswifty's".

nrasool(Posted 2004) [#31]
Hi Skitchy

Is this the code you were talking about

;make sure the base layer of your landscape is pickable, but temporarily
;disable picking on any object that might interfere with the LinePick.
;maxheight# should be greater than the highest point on your landscape. If 
;you're unsure just use a high-ish number
Function ALETerrainY#(x#,z#,maxheight#=30)
Linepick (x,maxheight,z,0,0-(maxheight*2),0,0.1)
Return PickedY()
End Function

It was taken from the following thread:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=35603

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#32]
Yes, that looks like the one! :)
Can somebody try it? Include that function in the BlitzTree code, then do the necessary code replacement (just search for TerrainY() ).
Obviously, use an ALE exported .b3d landscape - there's one included with the demo - click sig. :)

nrasool(Posted 2004) [#33]
Hey Skitchy, I will try this. Also the author of BlitzTree got it touch with me saying

BlitzTree2 will feature mesh on mesh placemenet but it's still early in development.

So its coming up in the next major version of BlitzTree2.

I did email him saying for a release dates and got the following:

I hate to give an esstimate on
time... but for the sake of argument I'll say no more then 4 weeks.

Please note that the author is working on a project at the moment, so once this is done, then he will continue working on the blitztree2. So this is just an estimate.

Now onto testing what Skitchy has said ;)

Panno(Posted 2004) [#34]

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#35]
What gave you a 404? My site isn't down is it?
No, just checked it - 'tis fine ;)

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#36]
Still getting 404

GfK(Posted 2004) [#37]
Still getting 404

This thread is two months old.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#38]
So it is.

nrasool(Posted 2004) [#39]
Sorry i wanted to resurrect this thread to find out what was going on with the placement of trees in ALE? Rather than start a new thread, i decided to resurrect this thread :)

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#40]
Did you manage to integrate that code skitchy gave you nrasool?

nrasool(Posted 2004) [#41]
Hi Amon

Sorry, just a bit busy with work at the moment. I hoping to have a go at this on the weekend.