Space Corps Armageddon (My First Blitz Games)

Community Forums/Showcase/Space Corps Armageddon (My First Blitz Games)

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello,

I have just purchased Blitz and my first game is one I have written before on other platforms as a learning exercise.

It is a top down space ship battle game and has up to 100 AI's flying around at once.

You can download the game here:
http://www.bansheestudios.com/games/sc2armageddon.htm

And you can find out more about it here:
http://www.bansheestudios.com/games/sc2armageddonAbout.htm

I first wrote this game on the Amiga when I was 15 years old or so, i'm now 29 but the space ship and weapon graphics in this version of the game are from the original.

I've used the original title screen too on the respawn counter - it's somewhat too lo res to use as the title screen now at a staggering 320x256 resolution !

The source code for the game can be seen here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1034#comments

JohnMil(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hey, looks cool! Welcome to the comunity.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#3]
Nice graphics :)

Couple of suggestion though. When your firing bullets, make them start off with the speed of the ship, because when your travelling fast, the bullets really go very slow.

Saying that, good effort man :)

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#4]
On your webpage it states you're unsure of the directX version required. I think it's minimum DirectX7 unless you've written it in BlitzPlus, in which case it none. It'll run software based.

Nice game by the way. I'm doing something like this too.

edit: Had a look at your code. You should think about using types in your next game. They speed up development a lot.

;Ring Burst Variables
Global ringCntr ;ring entity last used
Dim ringGfx(ringsQ) ;entity no.
Dim ringLife#(ringsQ) ;ring duration counter

becomes
type ringBurst
field gfx,life#
end type

for i.ringBurst=each ringBurst
     if i\life < 0 then delete i
next

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#5]
"Hey, looks cool"
"Nice graphics"
Thank you, all the more so considering a lot of the graphics in this game where drawn so long ago on a 16 bit computer using a 32 colour common palette.

"You should think about using types in your next game"

Are types faster in run time?

I ask because using them actually slows me down, i'm a fast typist (~120wpm) but the period key is slow to reach and results in more misstypes, I also find the resulting code harder to read.

However, if types are quicker in runtime then i'll be using my right index finger more often :) I'll sacrice goats if it'll give my stuff an fps boost !

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#6]
Types aren't faster than arrays. Most people prefer types over arrays (for certain things), some the other way. You should gives types a try though, unless your confident array will see you through :)

Steve C ™(Posted 2004) [#7]
Cool game! Very retro, but very playable too. I agree with Ross C about the speed of the bullets when you are travelling fast. :)

Good job!

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#8]
Woohoo! I just had the results of the first review of the game on a listing site and it scored full marks. :)

http://www.brothersoft.com/Games_Arcade_Space_Corps_Armageddon_28374.html

Alas Brothersoft isn't very big in terms of traffic it generates, but it bodes well for the nonags score which is the one that really matters.

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#9]
Thanks for the positive feedback, and the critique too is important to me in my games but I have good news for all the issues raised around the various forums and I have plans to excel in solving them. :)

I am planning to expand the game as part of my Blitz learning process and here are some of the features I am intending to put in to "Oblivion":

10 simulataneous fields of play with jump nodes.
user defineable controls
user defineable display & gamma settings
slower ships with faster turning
3D ship models
background plot and fractal mission structure
scanning interface for ship hostility
damage indicator on identified ships
inertia movement for player and AI
new "evasion maneauvre" control
more weapons, including flares for missile tracking
3D background enhancements

The only worrying ones are doing the inertia movement for the AI and the 10 simultaneous playfields idea. So i'm starting with those, everything else should be either relatively simple or just a matter of typing a load of simple code in.

It came to my attention after initial release that I had compiled the game with an early version of Blitz, on recompiling with the latest update the speed seems much faster on lower specification computers. I also intend to include frame rate dampening on the next release for even smoother gameplay with badly written background tasks (momentary pauses) being erradicated.

In regards to the skill element in this version I find controlling your speed adds a lot to revealing the gameplay, but with Oblivion the changes will be quite dramatic because of the speed alterations impacting on the AI, I hope to maybe include wingman AI but I dont want to promise that yet but I will say the gameplay will be much different, and the mission elements will make for a much clearer defined player role and involvement in the game.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#10]
Cool, nice to see your building on it :)

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#11]
What about space physics? (movement direction not altering because facing does)

It's a bit strange as it is now, but I guess that's merely a gameplay choice. Well, keep it up :)

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#12]
Absolutely eBiz I am planning on doing inertia based movement in the next version.

There will actually be a control to toggle the "stabilisation thrusters" on and off, however, this will only happen if I can make the AI use the same exploits as the player can otherwise it would not play right.

This (Armageddon) version was rated 5/6 at nonags :/.