LotusEd - the Alternative Lotus Particle Editor

Community Forums/Showcase/LotusEd - the Alternative Lotus Particle Editor

N(Posted 2004) [#1]
Yep, I made one too -_-

If you can crash it, I'd like to know exactly what you did to do it so I can try to replicate it. I'll also need to know your system specs.

In a lot of cases, BlitzUI will cause some nasty slowdowns due to its use of the Text instruction (it's caused me to lose 100 FPS- BAD THING), so if that happens press and hold Ctrl and Shift then press G (this is written down under Help.txt if you forget).

This is only a beta, it has no output, can't load textures, can't modify all of the emitter properties yet, etc., but it should be enough to give you an idea of the outcome. The only tab outside of the Emitter Settings window that gets updated is the Emitter list, by the way.

Basically, this is not guaranteed to be stable, useful, or do anything good at this point. It's only released so I can try to make it stable and close to bug-free. So if you manage to crash it, tell me what you did/how you did it. Do not tell me you got a Memory Access Violation as that is only helpful in one way: it tells me you have a problem.

That said,
DOWNLOAD HERE

Screenshot:

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
Is there some advantage to yours over acid's?

Thanks so much for your particle system, by the way. Between your particle system and acid's editor, I've accomplished more with particles today than I had in the couple years since I purchased Blitz3D.

N(Posted 2004) [#3]
Nope, I just wanted to make one. Options are good ;)

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#4]
nice Noel, looks good.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#5]

Noel said:

Nope, I just wanted to make one. Options are good ;)

That's not what you said in IRC, Noel :)

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#6]
nice job on the particle system noel. You're very nice to have released it :D I'll be looking at these tools soon.

I'm curious: How did you do that nice window framework with the scrollbar? Is it blitzplus, an expensive windows dll, a free windows dll, or just home-made?

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#7]
It looks like BlitzUI to me. If it is, then Chris Fuller made it and its free to use for anything.

You can find it here:

http://www.legacygames.co.uk/index.php

N(Posted 2004) [#8]
dill:

BlitzUI will cause some nasty slowdowns

It's also mentioned in the Thanks.txt that's included.

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#9]
Ah, thats right you actually did mention it in the above text, I just looked at the image and figured that it could be that one. I used it myself a while ago, but due to the major drops in framerate if you have too much gui stuff going on I ended up writing my own. Its a pretty good gui system and it looks nice, but all the text commands just kills the frame rate.

N(Posted 2004) [#10]
Yeah, but since I don't own any of the commercial GUI libraries, I used it- it's rather clunky. Kindof sucks that you have to sortof of do hack together a text box and spinner to get text input for a spinner. I didn't do that though, since it 'freaked out' when I did. Seems it couldn't create the text box and spinner- came up with an error about an index being out of an array's range (-1 if I recall correctly).

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#11]
I believe that he did a lite version of his new 3D gui that is free to use, which might be useful since its done with meshes so it should be faster. Whether he have textboxes that works with spinners I don't know as I haven't tried it. In my own system its two different gadgets if you want to do keyboard inputs, but they are easy to connect as everything is driven on event codes and to have one gadget update another is just two lines of code, one to check for the event code and one to update the other gadget.

Once I got started on making this gui system I found out that it wasn't really that difficult, but more time consuming getting things right.

You can find it here:

http://www.f-software.co.uk/index.php?p=downloads

The nice part about his gui stuff is that they come with form editors so its a snap to generate the code needed for displaying the gui, control is another thing all together :)

Rob(Posted 2004) [#12]
Interesting but ultimately not that creative to use as I can't seem to edit stuff in realtime.

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#13]
Rob: you can with mine ^_^

N(Posted 2004) [#14]
Yep, use Acid's- it's the official editor now ;)

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#15]