VividGl screenshot

Community Forums/Showcase/VividGl screenshot

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#1]
Sorry for the delays in the promised demo, but hopefully the level situration should be resolved soon.

Anyway, here's a shot of the real time predator camo effect. it warps the light behind a entity, and warps the entities own structure. This is a pixel shader 2.0 effect.(I.e g5-2000 and up)

The level mesh is from jedive's thread, I can't upload it without his permission, but providing it's freeware, be a few hours.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#2]
Looks nice. Whats with the blacked out rect ?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#3]
Whoops, wrong forum. Can you move into showcase mods please?

Skn, just debug info etc.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#4]
Anyone know how I can make a gif out of a series of bmps? It's hard to get a sense of it how it looks in motion like this.

GW(Posted 2004) [#5]
I think its blacked out because it says "FPS: 2" :-)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#6]
Seeeeeeee!!!!
i told ya he'd come through with something.

now, uuuuuh, i know it's something, but would someone tell just what kinda something it is that i'm looking at... :)

--Mike

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#7]
It's a cloaked spaceship. Wouldn't be that good of a cloak if you could easily see it ;) but it looks way better in motion, as all those highlights etc shimmer like a solid pool of water.

2fps? Nah, it's all done on the vertex/pixel shaders, no cpu load at all. Git. ;)

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#8]
Get a gif animator, at least if you talk about an animted gif.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#9]
try this - > http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/default.asp?lid=CamtasiaStudioHome

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#10]
uuuuhhhh, ok...

i'll wait till i see this in motion before i say any more...

hey, i dun wanna loook stooopid or anytinng like dat now :)

--Mike

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#11]
I see a ship sailing in the distance. ;)

Thanks skn, had fraps but it only saved to pure 100mb+ avi files..i'll take a little video of this and upload in a hour or so.

Anyone have any ftp space I can borrow for a smallish vid? Mine's slow as hell.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#12]
you can run the fraps made avi through the MSMovie applet and output it to a WMV that will be a zillion times smaller (depending on the quality options and sub format you select)...

--Mike

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#13]
yeah I have.. mail me on: ashmantle@... and I will set you up with some space.

EDIT: As the nice fellow I am, I have made a subdomain for you: vividgl.poly.no ^^

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#14]
Cheers ash. off for a smoke and seinfeld break..(A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do..)
will be in touch in a hour and half.

Red, thanks.Camtasia has a lot of export options as well, so it's sorted.

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#15]
Nice one Otacon. Good job.

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#16]
I like the level ;)

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#17]
actually it looks cool, if you understand what your looking for like the right side for example, bet it looks great in motion.

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#18]
actually it looks cool, if you understand what your looking for like the right side for example, bet it looks great in motion.
I said it cos the map was taken from my bsp factory example :)
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=33895

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#19]
Nice one ant. Looks very cool ;) Glad to see you releasing a screenshot :D

Keep up the good work!

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#20]
cool,looking forward to seeing more

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#21]
looks cool. FPS tests please. :)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#22]
turn off the panic buttons, it's coming, about to have another smoke break..although, in reality it's becoming less like a smoke break, and more like I smoke and take coding breaks.....anyway, promise I'll do the vid when I get back for you guys, and send you the demo amon...providing it's compatible on amon's ati..i'll upload it for everyone else.

Other guys, thanks for words that nearly formed a compliment...;)

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#23]
Otacon

A few questions about VividGL.

Firstly, how easy would it be to incorporate into a game well into development?

Segmented, animated characters. Can Vivid handle these (e.g search for children recursively, naming of children, local/global manipulation of children)

Can Vivid handle dynamic vertex lighting of objects with attached, nested children (see above). Would it be quicker than Blitz?

Neglecting shaders, could I expect a massive speed leap overall from Blitz's rendering speed?

What kind of support you provide.

Do you see Vivid still being around in 1 year's time (after release). 2 years? 3 years?

And lastly, if Blitzmax is going to use OpenGL, why would I go with Vivid?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#24]
Neglecting shaders, could I expect a massive speed leap overall from Blitz's rendering speed?

-Depends on how you use it, but for example one a stress test on a radeon 9800.
It featured 1,000 unique soldier entities, each around 800 polys, total of 800,000 on screen polys(With lod off) it got around 57fps (On amon's machine, not mine, mine's too old to be a good judge of it.)...

so that's around 48 to 55 million polys per second with texturing/filtering/mipmapping and lights on(Normal). Throw in lod and you can probably triple that. No idea how well it would run in blitz, sorry.

Pixel shader speed is limited by the gpu, not the engine.
Firstly, how easy would it be to incorporate into a game well into development?

--As easy as running it through the provided b3d to vivid --converter. nothing magical, just replaces blitz keywords --with vivid omes(I.e usage is very similar.

Segmented, animated characters. Can Vivid handle these (e.g search for children recursively, naming of children, local/global manipulation of children)

--Yes. Can also add parsers, which basically scan any new entities create/loaded for certain names, and you can set actions to take like rescale etc.

Can Vivid handle dynamic vertex lighting of objects with attached, nested children (see above). Would it be quicker than Blitz?

-Yes, and per pixel lighting.

Support, will be via forums, e-mail.

And yes, around in 1 year's time. I plan on using for my own upcoming games, so it'll always be getting updates as long as i'm making games.

As for bmax, I can't answer that until I know what blitzmax is..but one thing it isn't is a 3d engine for blitz3d..;)

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#25]
why don't u just make your own high level game making tool octacon? from what i have seen, you could make one...and make one very well.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#26]
Otacon

Thanks for the info.

I guess what you're saying is that you're providing a new renderer for Blitz, but with extended functionality.

Can I ask what your background is/your experience in creating an application like this?

N(Posted 2004) [#27]
Hey, it's something. You delivered on the screenshot- that's good. Now I'll just go back to waiting on the demo ;)

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#28]
Cool - if you really have all the features you said it has, you have done quite a job there. But we want more, give us a demo :)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#29]
Chris, that's uncanny...I was just speaking about making my own high level tool last night with ad...
Are you hacking into my e-mail!? ;p
But it's definitely something I'm going to do.(After vivid, and 1 game)..though the language it's self will be a lot better than basic.. never understood people's decision to base their ides etc off basic..such a poor language..(Blitzmax looks set to rectify a lot of that, thankfully.)
--

MadJack, my mother was a coder. my mother's mother was a coder...;) I've been doing for over a decade now..i've wrote software 2d engines and what not, but I believe the only thing you need to judge for yourself is the quality of the demos. If you like them, great, if not, no harm done checking..;)

Mustang, I believe the term you fins invented is 'When it's done.'. ;)
Wait...why do I think your finnish? hmm....

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#30]
Wait...why do I think your finnish? hmm....

Perhaps because Mustang's profile contains this:-

;)

BTW: VividGL looks pretty cool!

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#31]
Ah thanks tb..least i'm not losing my mind.(see i told you wern't) yeah I know you did...but these things..you can't be taking chances. (ah you're nuts) screw you. (I am you asshole.) your mother (Is yours too asshole)

See...sane as a ox..

;)

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#32]
You were warned, call me in a week.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#33]
Mustang, I believe the term you fins invented is 'When it's done.'. ;)

We like to keep our promises - saying "When it's done" is easier to keep than any "ÜberHyped" launch date... :P

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#34]
Did I miss something?

Warren(Posted 2004) [#35]
Yes.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#36]
Oh, I see ...

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#37]
Is Otacon banned for a week? What happened??

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#38]
I'm still chocked.

I think this is the main issue:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=34062

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#39]
Just curious what he did?

Rob(Posted 2004) [#40]
Constant disregard for the forum no-swearing rule. He has a toilet mouth.

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#41]
Thanks for telling me.

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#42]
From Otacon

Thankfully simon's only banned me for a week, so same day they take the shackles off my hands and let me back into society, I'll have the vividGl demos along with a small preview of Bloom-NG. The new language(As in entirely new concept of coding.) vivid will be powering after the blitz version ;) Until we meet again, mr board.'

Smurfpuss(Posted 2004) [#43]
well this looks great but one Q? is it easy to use and what will the price be can't wait to see what it can do well if otacon now will sell it and if the framerate is good

sswift(Posted 2004) [#44]
I think Otacon needs to try Orbitz gum.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#45]
It probably comes from hanging out with Snake all the time.

N(Posted 2004) [#46]
skid: You should edit his post. It has profanity in it.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#47]
Golly gee willikers...