My player has a torch now!!!

Community Forums/Showcase/My player has a torch now!!!

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#1]
Well... My player has a torch now!!! All I need to do is figure out how to get the attached light to the torch to give off light in the corridores?!? I've tried this, But it seem's like it isn't working to well! :(

Any suggestion's Guys?!?

Oh yeah! the screenie:

This will be cool once I can get this effect done! ;)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
Your gonna have to either, use a dx light, or use dynamic lightmapping. Only thing is, if you use a dx light, you can't really use lightmapping :/

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#3]
DX lighting isn't going to cut it to create the effect you want as it lights the vertex so you've either got to throw hundreds of unnessary verts at your level or come up with some other way of creating fake lighting.

I would suggest checking out the towel shadow systems there are kicking around in the code archives and instead of using a shadow graphics on multiply blend create a light spot on add blend.

Anyway... looking like you're moving on well with your game.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#4]
I recommend dropping the torch down a bit. it takes up too much of the screen right now IMHO. i think the texture of the shaft shoud be improved a bit too. but its looks nice overall

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#5]
Really nice idea, but maybe hold the torch with the left hand, so you'll be able to shot the badies with the .50BMG or whatever you hold in your right hand :) Plus add a swap hands option for lefties (are they called lefties in english? I just guess...). yes, it's cool! Maybe you can add a wind function that will affect the torch in some tunnels etc?

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#6]
nicely done dr :) but yea, the torch is too big and im with jfk for the left hand thing :)

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#7]
This looks nice!

I was wondering about the crosshair, maybe you can leave that out? If the attack is always to the center of the screen you don't need a crosshair and it will make for a more "open" picture. Games like Doom and Wolfenstein did not have it and maybe it makes aiming more of a challenge. Just an idea!

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#8]
Ok Guys! I'll play around with it some more and see what I come up with! ;)

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#9]
not as affective as REAL lights, but why not try doing sprites that are Multiply blend on the walls?

i use it, it looks OK, but it useless on some walls. just a tip tho

Smurfpuss(Posted 2004) [#10]
like the light is in front of the player not where the torch is why like maby a bug