3d lightning like test

Community Forums/Showcase/3d lightning like test

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey everyone. I've created some code to create lightning, sort of. Involves deforming a mesh in real-time. You can use these function for whatever. Could a get a fps on the code running as it is though, please? Press space bar to get the TRUE fps reading, thanks :)

It's better when viewed moving. Remember the below code is simply just to rotate them. The functions do the work of creating and deforming the meshes. Hopefully is useful to someone other than me :)

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#2]
any chance of a screenie ross boi :)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#3]
Done :)

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#4]
Almost 700 fps at it's highest (gf3 ti 200, p4 1,8). But for a lightning, your effect could do with a retouch.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#5]
Explain please, i'm open to ideas to improve it :)

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#6]
Most lightnings have forks, and unless it's a longlasting one (like those globes ya' know), it will not move, also normal lightnings usually have more kinks. But you seem to have the base, if you can add forks etc it will be awesome :)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#7]
I could find the end of a segment and generate a new bolt from that point... Thanks, i'll be back soon :)

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#8]
that looks good for electrical effects.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#9]
Hey again. I've made this so it now looks like real(ish) lightning. You can use this for whatever you want.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#10]
Lighnings usually just appear and disapear, they don't build up this way (yes, he can continue complaining for an eternity ;)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#11]
Yeah, i've got a few things too clean up :)

Paolo(Posted 2004) [#12]
SWEET.

Actually I add a EntityBblend l\mesh,3 and I like it more ;)

Paolo.

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#13]
awesome mann..... perfect for when i stop time in my game :)

SopiSoft(Posted 2004) [#14]
very cool!!! :-)