Swimming pool - almost final :)

Community Forums/Showcase/Swimming pool - almost final :)

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey, think i've sorted out the pool.
www.downloads.polarstudios.co.uk/twisted-souls/pool.zip
now features caustics, reflections sorted out and some candy :) oh and it's textured

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
Holy caustics Batman! The animated textures on the walls are too in-your-face, and you need to put in some sort of frame limiting/framerate independence because it runs really fast on my system. It's hard to give much meaningful feedback until you fix the latter because the whole thing feels frantic and out of control to me.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#3]
I get a memory access violation. I believe there are some missing include files...

GfK(Posted 2004) [#4]
MAV here too.

I really wish people would test stuff before they upload it. :/

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#5]
it's searching for some includes in a folder that's two folders back.

Steve C ™(Posted 2004) [#6]
Works ok here. Give it a "cubemap size" of 200 and try that.

Good effect anyway :)

Magitta(Posted 2004) [#7]
mav...

GfK(Posted 2004) [#8]
Works ok here. Give it a "cubemap size" of 200 and try that.
Hmmm, 200 works, along with every other number I'd previously tried. Looks like he's tried to fix it on the sly, without anybody noticing its a different demo. ;)

Its still a far cry from the original screenshot that was posted. At least the water reflection is aligned properly now and the controls are better.

The water effect on the walls is too... what's the word... 'obvious'? Needs to be way more subtle than that. It reminds me of a level from Alien vs Predator (this is NOT as good as it sounds!), I think it was the alien ship level - the one where you couldn't see where the hell you were going because of stupid crazy textures everywhere.

Also, every second or so, it seems to be rendering blank walls for one single frame.

Another problem - if you stand at the bottom of the steps looking towards the diving board, you'll see that the board isn't flat - its angled at about 15 degrees and goes through the steps.

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#9]
the original screenshot is a render in 3ds max, so i cant match it, it was the only screenshot i had.. but please stop cursing me for that! the demo was built so i could learn how to do water effects like cubemapping it, and then using an animated texture for the caustics. the model i cant help - i dont model i dont have any modelling software either. the blank walls thing gfk - i've never experienced :\
i agree with you on the texture problem about it being to obvious i think this is because i dont have the other textures the guy used to model the pool :) I'll take all the comments into account and try and get a new demo asap.

thanks for the feedback :)
aCiD2

(MAV - try using a cubemap size of a multiple 2 like 256, 512 etc)

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#10]
The animations were VERY fast and ruined some of the feel.. but I sense that you're on so something cool here ^^

GfK(Posted 2004) [#11]
the original screenshot is a render in 3ds max, so i cant match it, it was the only screenshot i had.. but please stop cursing me for that!
Suppose I wrote a little racing game, with boxes for cars (cos I can't model), and a flat plane for a track, with pyramids for trees and spheres for dust particles, then go out and take a photo of a real life rally car and post that, hailing it as my demo, what would you say?

You'd all go "OOOH THAT LOOKS SWEET! Downloading now can't wait to play it".

Then when you'd actually played it and it was nothing like what I had led you to believe it looked like, "WTF?!".

I was disappointed with the way it looked in Blitz, after seeing the screenshot.

If its just a backslap you're after, then say so. I'll lie through my teeth for you and tell you its the dogs b***ocks if that's what you want me to do.

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#12]
Suppose I wrote a little racing game, with boxes for cars (cos I can't model), and a flat plane for a track, with pyramids for trees and spheres for dust particles, then go out and take a photo of a real life rally car and post that, hailing it as my demo, what would you say?
I have bought a few AAA titles over the years that appear to have done that for the shots on the box front and back, lol.

Andy(Posted 2004) [#13]
>Suppose I wrote a little racing game, with boxes for cars
>(cos I can't model), and a flat plane for a track, with
>pyramids for trees and spheres for dust particles, then go
>out and take a photo of a real life rally car and post
>that, hailing it as my demo, what would you say?

Make it multiplayer and fun as hell, then you have a winner...

Andy

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#14]
ok, i guess i take it back.. maybe it was to much a one go or something... my apologies gfk feel kinda dumb now for so much over reaction... i guess instead of the way i signled you out was stupid i owe you a thanks for the help you wre tying to give me.
Thanks GFK, understandable if you don't want to accept this, but Im not here to have fights with people just cause i can't understand that my works going to be awesome first posting :)

I'll bear your comments/attitude in mind and refrain from commenting on anything else you post here.

Hope you don't mean that any more :P

Again, deep apologies from me - hope we can put this aside.

electronin(Posted 2004) [#15]
Hey aCiD2,
better, but:

why are there flames floating above the pool?
the walls look very blurry from inside the pool
the water rippling and caustics anims are way too fast
it would be nice to not have to type in the cubemap size

also, you should try to post screenshots from their original environment (ie. for a model, 3ds max, for a blitz creation, blitz)

it was the only screenshot i had
ever heard of the SaveBuffer command?

it seems that you just want to jump at the next n00b who maybe cant make games as good as you and lay in as much as you can
if you don't want to be treated badly, don't post your work here. I have seen some of the worst treatment imaginable on these forums.

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#16]
yes, i know savebuffer(dont use it, use a savepng routine) but i rushed the upload, just about to go to bed lol. the walls and stuff should blur underwater, its the effects the water has on your eyes, is it too much?
water rippling too fast?!?! hmm, how should it look then?
the falem above the pool..ya:p got boered with particle candy hehe.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#17]
I'm getting a MAV all the time here regardless if I use a power of 2 size.

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#18]
really dont know hy thats is rob... :\ tryed downloading again? dont see how you can download and not get a corrupt zip tho :)

Caff(Posted 2004) [#19]
Yep same here, all sizes of cubemap

P4 3.2Ghz
1gb ram
ATI 9800XT