Anyone want this?

Community Forums/Showcase/Anyone want this?

DH(Posted 2004) [#1]
Working on a Database built for blitz. The commands would be very similar to SQL commands. The database is a dedicated database with full features. It would be accessable via a visual tool, networked client (ie command line), and also usint blitzplay.

I am currently polishing it for use with an MMO I have been working on. It is decently fast, I filled it up with 100,000 records, divided between 4 tables, each table consisting of 10 fields of data) and the access to any given record was less then 1 ms. The data structure is similar to MS Access. Each table can be built with a username and password to restrict access to only certain user accounts.

Would this interest anyone? I know I saw an ADO dll awhile back (wasnt able to get it before the link was dead) and didn't see any hype about it, figured databases didn't interest anyone.

Figured the community could use a free database, however ff no one is generally interested, I wont waste my time releasing it to the public.

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#2]
I have been looking for just this thing.

This would be great, please could it have a really simple visual tool, and also (due to my artist brain) have incredibly clear help files.

The particle Candy help files are something that every help file should look like.

DH(Posted 2004) [#3]
The visual tool hasn't been created yet, but i did have complexity embedded in simplicity in mind for it :)

Thus far the database is all command line based, however it has netcode built into it for network access.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hi,

Yes this would be a very useful addition to B3d! I would like to use this when it is ready.

What a great idea!

Ipete2.

MikeT(Posted 2004) [#5]
I'd be interested, it would prove useful indeed.

Please release it to the community.

Thanks

MikeT

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#6]
im interested

Zace(Posted 2004) [#7]
So is this a whole written Blitz thingy, or is it a link to an outside database?

I know Kanati (spelling?) did a BlitzData, and thats around somewhere....

But dont let lack of interest stop you anyway - there are a LOT of us lurkers out there, and when we see your work in future we will be able to say "Hey, isnt that the guy who did that cool database thingy...got to check out his work!"

Good luck.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#8]
Id be interested to at least have a look at this.

mrmango(Posted 2004) [#9]
Definate yes here, not seen a good implementation of a odbc or direct link(s) code to databases yet.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#10]
BlitzData uses ADO and can use ODBC connections or direct connections to the database bypassing ODBC. Queries are done via plain old T-SQL code.

http://www.outergods.com/blitz/blitzdata14rc1.zip

You'll want this as well...

http://www.outergods.com/blitz/blitzdataupd.zip

I never got around to creating a final build, hence the update zip. But it's fully functional and stable.

Having said that... I think a blitz-native database format is a great idea. I'll definitely want to take a look at it when you are done MP.

Kanati

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#11]
Nice, definately be interested :)