we have movement

Community Forums/Showcase/we have movement

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#1]
1st movement test, run jump around, added some drag and bit better gravity, i dont like the control left/right=turn, up/down=move like in the samples that come with blitz, any body use a better method or ideas

ZipFile
>>>>> http://www.btinternet.com/~coloured.pixels/Kid_1.0.zip
spacebar for wire view..it looks funky, j or L/ctrl to jump, p to center character if he gets lost off screen

still not textured i keep putting it off

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#2]
The charachter still looks good, now for the promised critics (evil laught): He doesn't always move his feets in the pace he is moving, either you need to speed the animation up and down, or you shall make him only move at the right speeds. Maybe you should skip the gradual speed increase, it really doesn't serve any purpose and it makes it harder to control the character. (It reminds me of something I have seen before thou, hmmm)

Eole(Posted 2004) [#3]
Look nice ! :-)

Please wait 2 or 3 day, I'm finishing a Control Binding System, that allow you to set Key / mouse (button / axis) or joy (button / axis) to an action ...

exemple :
if CBS_Action( "Walk") then
end if

if CBS_Action( "Jump") then
end if

The word "Walk", "Jump", are create by the user in a setting to identify the action.

After, you will be able to assigne key/mouse/joy like a professional Game :-)

It's finish to choice between Mouseclik or keyhit()

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#4]
Eole - isn't the string handling gonna be slow? Wouldn't it be better to use Constants?

Eole(Posted 2004) [#5]
It isn't slow, i don't want to say the technic that I use before posting my little lib, but it's very simple :-) and dynamic, you can change change the binding during the game if you want (replace a key by a joy axis if want, or mouse button by a key...) all you want :-)

I do it, because i have enought to choice between mousehit or keyhit or have, or write a very longue line like this

if mousehit(1) or keyhit(157) or etc ....

Rob(Posted 2004) [#6]
I don't think it's slow if it's only for a few small things.

If it was for hundreds of things it would be very slow.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#7]
@ebusiness mmm u might be right, does look a bit gaffed
..but i dont know any way of matching the anim speed to the run speed...?

Eole.. sounds good anything but the one im using..its kak

Eole(Posted 2004) [#8]
Can you explain you real problem ?

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#9]
Great little character, and the animation is very nice as well!

Only complaint (apart from the things mentioned by ebusiness) is that he jumps with his legs bent. The anticipation (going down in his knees) works great, but he needs to straighten his legs fully before he leaves the ground. Right now it looks like he is just doing a flip with his feet.

I think it's the best character animation I've seen someone do in Blitz yet :)

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#10]
all good, valid points......i will take another look at the standard jump anim when i do the other flip jump, but if you press 4,5,6,7 they should show the jump cycles (updated zip) i dont think its a anim prob i think my timing is off in code

Eole all i was asking is . any other way of moving the guy around instead of arrow keys left/right to turn, up/down to move...i was thinking more of an eight way or some multi direction thingy
..left to move left, right to go right...left+right and so on but i dont know how i would handle the roration... all i have is the samples like the castle demo that comes with b3d..i was just wondering how everyone else does it

can i also ask....how do you guys set up multiple collision points on a character, i think this is what ebusiness did in the orb thingy, i was thinking of a 1 poly object with a alpha set and placed in front so he can collide with walls, and other points to collide with ledges for hanging on to.
in the old 2d days i used character handle x+ 10 y+10..and so on, for a new collision point, but in 3d all i got is one collision sphere
...(if this seems a daft q: then its coz im a newb at b3d)

Eole(Posted 2004) [#11]
ok, It's possible to do a lot of thing, just say what you want

You can use mouse and keyboard, you can add some camera effect ...

For multiple collision on a character, I think you can use child entity (I don't know if in Lightwave it's possible) Create invible child entity on point in lightwave. In Blitz find this child and attach Pivot with entitytype and entityradius on it ....

After you have just to test the colision on the pivot who are attach to the child entity ...

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#12]
thanks Eole for the collision pointers...
for the control im going to have to figure out an 8 way scroller type thing for now..

Eole(Posted 2004) [#13]
You 're model are very good, can I use your free model on a demo of my binding system ?

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#14]
yes no problem, i would use the walk for any demo, as i think the run has a few twitches on the shoulders it was only practice