Geo-Mod early tech demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Geo-Mod early tech demo

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#1]
NOTE: THIS IS A TECH DEMO AND NOT AN EYE-CANDY DEMO; LOOKS ARE IRRELEVANT! :)

I haven't posted any demos for ages, so I thought I'd share what I'm working on with you: It's a pseudo Geo-Mod system (not CSG or whatever the acronym is - my own smoke & mirrors method).

The idea for the gameplay is hybrid RTS/FPS, in which the player will be able to design new buildings on the fly during play (using a laptop or something), watch them built in front of them by their workers, go in and out of them, blow chunks out of them with rockets and more. Hopefully this feature will be integral to gameplay rather than fluff!

As I've said, the graphics are very ugly as it's purely a tech demo. And even that's in an early state and needs optimising... god, it's so complicated it makes my head spin! :)

Get it here (853kb)

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#2]
Its cool.. i like the way the buildings are tiled before your eyes... im guessing your just removing verts around the area of impact?

Sounds like nice concept for a game, maybe make it so you have to keep bases built defending them and by rebuilding them quickly after they are destroyed.. and the loser is the person who has no bases at any one time

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#3]
Nice, but a few times it returned MAV when I tried to build a building. And it can't keep up if you act too aggressive.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#4]
Some very nice stuff there man :) I totally abused it and it broke :D. Very cool though!

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#5]
yeah, it does die when you have too many buildings in it.

Good though, now, just implement gravity for the building parts and you're sorted :)

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#6]
Yeah, I think I know what the MAV is.

And I'll implement some kind of limit on the number of buildings etc - maybe only a certain amount of buildings per square mile or something. And optimise the terrain etc, to up the performance. And I won't have machine-rocket-launchers!

The idea is, so that you can bring down enemy bases not by just lining up tanks and firing until it's destroyed, but by infiltrating and taking out a supporting strut or something. Detecting the bits left up in the air is going to take some thinking through...

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yeah. I like the whole floating buildings in the air.

Can't you somehow add the tokamaw physics engine.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#8]
I'm sure I could, but the frame rate would probably go down to less than 1fps! With all the changing mesh shapes I'm not sure it would be workable... I'll probably have to create my own physics system.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#9]
works fine 'tricks...

i like the way the blast area has a burnt look after being destroyed...

it would be neat to have the parts blast away and fall to the ground or bounce off of nearby objects...

... a lot of additional work i would imagine.

--Mike

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#10]
Oh yes, that's all going to be in there. Next demo will hopefully be more of a treat for the eyes and much more stable...

VIP3R(Posted 2004) [#11]
Apologies for not posting earlier Robin, after all I did ask for your advice on this stuff. I checked out the demo and it's looking very promising so far! Keep up the good work m8 ;)

Have you figured a way of adding gravity to the floating sections of building yet?

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#12]
No, not yet, but I only get to work on this part-time... Got some ideas but have no idea how they'll work in practice!

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#13]
are you going to be releasing source code for this?

RayTracer(Posted 2004) [#14]
that would be nice ...

electronin(Posted 2004) [#15]
Way cool! i like blasting buildings apart while i'm inside them :)

granada(Posted 2004) [#16]
Enjoyed the demo :),needs rocket sounds though.Are you
still going on with Attack of the Baddies,i thought that
had promise to.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#17]
Sorry, no source since this is the mainstay of the game I'm making. At some point if I work out how to modularise this and make a Geo-Mod system then maybe...

@ Granada: yep, all the eye and ear candy will really help. Just wanted to show the geometry work I've been doing. This is Baddies... or the core of Baddies with different things going on. It'll all come together though. The rocket work I did in Baddies will go with the building stuff.

Got lots on my plate at the moment with college, work and other committments; but looking forward to working on the next demo of this. I'll make it look nicer too, I promise. :)

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#18]
mrtricks, I can definately see a 3D First Person Monster Smash game being made with this:) Good Work