Egyptian Tomb...

Community Forums/Showcase/Egyptian Tomb...

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#1]
Here are a couple of Screenshot's of a demo game im' working
on at the moment! It's not finished yet so bare that in mind please! I realize it's kind'a dark in all, But it is an
egyptian tomb and they normally are dark anyways due to
very little lighting in the tombs! Anyways, enjoy the screenies! And please give any comments you may have on this to help me improve upon this game demo!

Thank's Guys!

Here' the Screenies:

poopla(Posted 2004) [#2]
Might be a little too dark. Looks nice though!

ckob(Posted 2004) [#3]
"Might be a little too dark. Looks nice though!"

yeah cause tombs actually had lights :P

looks good leep it up dude

googlemesilly(Posted 2004) [#4]
hey this looks cool ! :)
how about some dust inside the tomb ?

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#5]
Im' working on that Sunshine Dreamer!! hee hee

Thank's guys! I've got alot more to do to this though!
But i'll keep this updated for everybody though!
:)

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#6]
Looks like robs fps code with a different level added atm..

What additions have you made?

What additions do you have planned?

whats the story?

Why would you need a plasma blaster in an egyption tomb?

9572AD(Posted 2004) [#7]
Got any Egyptian music to go along with it?
...or know where to find any?

I'm going to need to knock together some short Egyptian-sounding ditties for my project eventually, but I have no basis to start from.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#8]
Nice modelling :)

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#9]
>> Why would you need a plasma blaster in an egyption tomb?

To kill the mummies...

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#10]
@Tainted Reality

Looks like robs fps code with a different level added atm..

Yes this is currently correct! Im' using Rob's code for the moment!

What additions have you made?

i've not made any major changes as of yet! I'll be doing that at a later time.

What additions do you have planned?

Well... I actually kinda' got in the mood to want to make
something egyptian and such... And I started creating a
egyptian level for more or less my own amusement basically!
However though, My good friend john thinks I should turn
this into a game though! What do you think? Should I?!?

whats the story?

Hasn't been decided yet!

Why would you need a plasma blaster in an egyption tomb?

I don't know? But Serious Sam has one at times.

@9572AD

Got any Egyptian music to go along with it?
...or know where to find any?

No... not at this time im' afraid! But if i run into some i'll let you know though. :)

@Ross C

Nice modelling :)

Thank's! But this is really basic though! It's not as good as some others on here :(
But I appreciate the compliment though!

@Foppy

>> Why would you need a plasma blaster in an egyption tomb?

To kill the mummies...

Nicly put!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#11]
nice update!

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#12]
Thank's jfk! :)

Your's still looks better than mine though!

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#13]
wonderful, looks good.. tbh for a moment i couldnt magine a plasma blaster because my mind was thinking only more traditional weapons... like the montezuma games or from the film "the mummy". Anyways good lucky you got some nice level modelling there :)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#14]
I think the gun looks out of place and the tomb could do with being less 'boxy' . could break up the the ceiling,
make it 'stepped' and the walls could have alcoves built in .
put some steps leading up to the sarcophagus and make the floor a litle less dark

but still looking nice though.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#15]
Thank's Ruz for your comments... I'll be adding more to this as I go so it will be improving as well! :)

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#16]
Here's an update to the Egyptian Tomb!

I've added a little candy to the scene... A little ParticleCandy that is... :)

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#17]
Dr. Who,

Very nice indeed!

Those candies do look tasteful! And your sarcophagus looks awesome!

All we need now is Thoth wandering around and we're cooking!

best regards,

IPete2.

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#18]
WOW, looks really good

electronin(Posted 2004) [#19]
nice sarcophagus! cool heiroglyphics too. the torches are putting off too much smoke though, imo.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#20]
You thought about baking in some shadows? You could (story-ish idea here) somehow make the egyptian things more alien looking then you would have a reason to have a plasma blaster. You know... Space Egyptians (yes, I know that I was a horrible theme idea but I had to say it!)

Seriously I tried the Free FPS engine. Good code. I always thought it needed two serious things: 1.JUMPING and 2. A way to TRIGGER doors. Add those two and you are all set.

Rook Zimbabwe

ckob(Posted 2004) [#21]
my only suggestion is to take that smoke out and make the sarcophagus's alot bigger because they held dead bodies inside like 2 or 3 smaller sarcophagus's...just a thought but it would make it that much better

Rob(Posted 2004) [#22]
thats astonishingly good looking! talent from the tardis!

puki(Posted 2004) [#23]
Good stuff "DoctorWho" - you might soon be worrying "Rob".

Smurfpuss(Posted 2004) [#24]
like is it not maby a little to mutch egyptian markers on the walls like i think it woulde look even better with less marks on the walls like maby only having a border

ckob(Posted 2004) [#25]
keep the hryoglyphs dude tombs had them all over the walls

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#26]
It's getting better and better - you are scaring me ... now I got to do something better :) Finally the contrast is in good balance since it includes everything between white to black.

Adding things like doors is probably easier than the "trivial" but tricky things like: jumping, to prevent sliding down slopes, and other little things that usually make people get stuck. For a trigger you probably only need to make the doors pickable. The same goes for pickable stuff like items, boni, medicine, ammo etc. Add some IFs and THENs and there you go.

Particles look nice!

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#27]
I would agree with ckob and make the smoke fainter/paler, it seems to chioke the light a bit much. Apart from that (my only criticism), I think it's great - kinda fps-tomb raider :)

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#28]
The smoke has already been corrected guys! ;)
Im' adding some more goodies to the pot, I'll be posting a demo soon!

Tracer(Posted 2004) [#29]
Nice modelling indeed :) All those textures and objects can be downloaded from sites :)

Still, looks nice.

Tracer

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#30]
Tracer

Yes this is very much true about the objects and all, However though! There are a few models in that scene that are original pieces as well! I did use some from the net as you said though! ;) there's nothing wrong with free textures and models for your projects. And on a special note about the textures. The texture sets that I've downloaded from the net have pieces or parts in them to allow you to combine them to create original textures from them as well! there is also some of them present too if you look more closely at them. ;)

Da MaN(Posted 2004) [#31]
Looks realy cool!
Might Change the gun though, I saw it on that fps thingy.
Good work!

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#32]
You need to add some scorched marks on the ceiling and walls where the torches are as if they have been burning for a long time.

The whole area is too clean. It needs some dust/cobwebs/broken stonework etc.. Rough it up a bit.

I think too much light is comming from the torches. Maybe change the light radius a little bit.

And where is your obligitory lense flair and bloom effects.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#33]
Why are you all so hooked on bloom effects ?!? :P Last time I saw a bloom effect (byside filax' stuff and prince of persia) was an election tv-spot of ariel sharon. seriously.

The dust and dirt thing is a good idea, but it's also pretty hard to achieve this effect. Especially when you use alphaed spiderwebs, you easily get z-order troubles. So you might add not more than one alpha-object per room to prevent that kind of troubles. Ok, Lense Flare or Corona fx for lights and fires are nice. But they also take much cpu-power and slow down the engine when they are based on linepicks - which is the usual method. VIS occlusion based determination of light source visibility would be much better. But usually people haven't got VIS implemented.

The brightness and radiuses seem to be ok to me, but I miss the shadows of the objects inside the room. This seems to be a matter of the choice of a lightmapper. Might be worth to buy Gile[s] - although I didn't buy it myself and still use Maplet. Usually I try not to position things in a way that a shadow is missing too obviously.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#34]
moved!!