Wobbles

Community Forums/Showcase/Wobbles

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#1]

It's a first "look" of the current game in progress, "Wobbles". It will be a chaotic, two player action game.

The characters will be bigger (too much scaled down) and the water, in this particular world, will be mud, including more tree trunks and trees. This is just a first prototype level, it will change much

Gile[s] used for lightmapping and levelbuilding.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
Looks pretty cool. I love the weird organic shapes for the rocks. And gile[s] is used to great effect for those level shadows.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#3]
Jeroen,

Wow this is looking cool! I love the shapes of the land pieces and the rock/stone textures

May I make a suggestio? It may be a good idea to make some false shadows cast by the land masses onto the mud when you get it in place because the first time I looked at the above picture, it looked like everything was floating in the air above the water. The shadow would connect everything up and fit in with the other Gile[s] shadows. Perhaps you could put a plane in for Giles to cast the shadows onto?

Does the camera pan and tilt and rotate around the islands or does it stay maily on one side of the land pieces?

Whatever - it's looking really good! I want to see this in action!

IPete2.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#4]
looks good! the only thing I don't like is the repetition of the water texture. you could prevent this when you put a sprite onto the water that is fading to transparency in the center, so the original water would be visible unter the game scene, but towards the horizon it would fade to something less repeating.

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#5]
@iPete2: in fact, your are right about the floating; most of the entities are floating above the water: it's a mistake by the modeller. I'd like to have reflections, but I can't get good results with cube mapping, and mirroring is slow. Your idea to include the mud with shadows is a good one - I will ask the modeller. thanks!
The camera indeed pans and tilts, however does not rotate. I use an absolute controlling sysytem (W is always UP, S is always down and so forth). When you rotate the camera, you need a relative control.

@jfk: I agree. It's a temporary solution; the water even doesn't move. I like your suggestion. Perhaps there are other solutions; in fact, I want to prevent showing whole horizon, because it seems such an island now. perhaps by placing trees and such.

Da MaN(Posted 2004) [#6]
Wow sweet muthuh of pearl! it looks awsome!
Is there any Violence!

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#7]
@Jeroen,

I see your problem, well there is a pretty easy solution, duplicate the scene and rotate it to pretend to be the mirror, under the water, and alpha it all down a bit.

This is a standard trick, used by many, and you are only repeateing that which already exists so it is little extra work for you and B3d.

But the difference may be well worth it - try it and see.
:)

IPete2.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#8]
Reflections might look good with water but not for mud. Reflections would look weird when you change the water to mud.