New Aeroplane Screenies

Community Forums/Showcase/New Aeroplane Screenies

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#1]
Clicky thumbs

Basically it's going to be a racing game, got basic AI in, waypoint routing, dynamic shadowing onto the terrain lightmap, flexi shadows under the aeroplanes, particle effects, moving rudders and other moving bits on the planes, generally quite pretty, and really good fun to play... should have a beta at some point in the future.

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#2]
That looks great! I'd thought of doing something similar several times inspired by the X-Fighter demo.

Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Cheers,

Ryan

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#3]
Looks nice! I'd like to see more stuff in the world - perhaps obstacles as well - but looking forward to a demo anyway.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#4]
I'm trying to come up with different things to decorate the terrain with... so far my list consists of..

Trees.
Lights.
Aquaducts/Bridges

Any other ideas please please please let me know!

ragtag(Posted 2004) [#5]
Houses, radio towers/TV towers, baloons (in the air), roads, rocks and cliffs, people, lakes and rivers, waterfalls, castles and towers, planes that have crashed, air field, hangars and nude sunbathers. :)

Ragnar

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#6]
Cool - Air Racing - would like a game I could pick up and have a blast with.

A bit of strategy thrown in and some derring do would be great.

And a few dirty tricks.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yeah... this sounds really like a game that could succeed in the marketplace as well...

not too many dedicated air racing games out... but lots of air racing fans out there who would jump at the chance to pilot their own 'Reno Air Racer' around the pylons...

... or in and out of the mountains and hills.

So far it looks great Rob... and i'd like to second ragtags idea of adding radio/tv towers, so that the planes could hit em if the pilots aren't quick enough...

Also... what about an extreme event in which fog or clouds are below some of the mountains, and the pilot has gotta use a stopwatch and his chart to navigate through the pass...

IFR racing through the passes... hahahahahaaaa....

hey... i hope you continue with this one... good luck

--Mike

Panno(Posted 2004) [#8]
cool idea good luck

skn3(Posted 2004) [#9]
Looks great. Would be very cool if you switched from your terrains to custom built levels. That way you could do tunnels, themed levels.. what ever.

Remember diddy kong racing on the 64?

JoeGr(Posted 2004) [#10]
There was a plane racing game on the original Playstation called something like 'NextGen Racing'. I don't remember it being anything special overall but it did make use of a single great idea - if you flew lower, you went faster. Simple as that. In other words to benefit from greater speed you had to risk crashing into the ground or scenery. How about doing something like that?

Warren(Posted 2004) [#11]
Looks nice, Rob!

big10p(Posted 2004) [#12]
Looking good so far! Do you (will you) have machine guns or some other kinds of 'comedy' weaponary? Ones that visually humiliate your opponents are always good. :)

I don't remember it being anything special overall but it did make use of a single great idea - if you flew lower, you went faster. Simple as that.

Nice! It's 'simple' ideas like that, that make good games great i.e. fun to play.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#13]
Joe, it's funny you should say that, I've never seen the game you mentioned but the speed control on this game is the lower you go the faster you go, I've kept the control very very simple to up, down, left and right!

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#14]
That control method (i.e. the speed/height thing) sounds like a really good idea!

Cheers,

Ryan

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#15]
Oh am I'm considering making this a sort of wacky racers type thing, I'm using Bi-planes at the moments because I did the bi-plane model, but I'm thinking of flying bicycles and stuff.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#16]
perhaps they could be radio controled planes flying through urban setttings.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#17]
I like that idea Ruz, Revolt with Wings... Now there's a thought...

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#18]
For blitz terrains the detail is amazing.... I really liek your terrain textures.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#19]
Ronnie,

Here's the low down on the terrain:
It's a 256x256 heightmap with a 512x512 texture map on the top.
The texture map is 100% procedual textured (texture map, light map and shadow map) then as the objects are placed onto the terrain additional shadows are written to the texture map.
This texture map is streched over the whole terrain and there is a 'noise' texture repeated over the whole lot to give more detail.
The texturing is done with my new version of terrain shader which I should have finished at some point soon.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#20]
I love reading explanations of tech. Maybe it's a fetish or something...

Thanks, Rob!

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#21]
Wow! that's some great effects... I look forwarding to hearing and seeing more about the new terrain shader. Nice work.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#22]
Rob,

great (you might have heard that before though)!

Some ideas:
- there's _got_ to be some blimb ('Duff')
- how about a Highway with cars at night
- a 'Hollywood' style sign to go through the 'o'
- a hard part could be a 'Descent' like passthrough in the ground where gravitation flips and you suddenly come out of a whole of a terrain upside down. A nice bridge to a next level, maybe

I may come up with more :-).

Regards,
Dirk

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#23]
Looks good! Houses may be a good low poly content. Of course the other ideas where good too, but some might be a bit polygon intensive. Think about lowpoly Agrar Fields and Forest Zones (using some kind of masked texture as forest top-view structure)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#24]
the mario screenshot is cool.

m-stitts(Posted 2004) [#25]
Looks nice,

How aboult having some barn storming checkpoints?