Tech benchmarking

Community Forums/Showcase/Tech benchmarking

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#1]
Greetings, I've been working on a new system for blitz to compliment my blitzTree system.. This new system handles grass and weeds. My goal is to be able to supply unlimited amounts of entity locations via colormap or simple x,y,z placement towards the grass structure.

Anyways, this little demo runs several loop tests inside the exe and compiles a total score at completion.. If you would download the demo and post back your bench scores I would be very happy. At this time the only score im interested in is the Test 2 score (med avg)..

thanks!

http://www.aliencodec.com/temp/sys_grass_alpha.zip

Bare in mind this is a very early demo, the grass isnt 'pretty' yet but polish comes last. :)

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#2]
Your link doesn't work.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#3]
can't download

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#4]
To start things off, my score was:

19318.3 / 87 avg fps, GF5950,amd64fx51

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#5]
May need to refresh the page, i had the wrong addy in there...
http://www.aliencodec.com/temp/sys_grass_alpha.zip

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#6]
looks pretty good, although it doens't quite look like grass.

It also doesn't run very well on a GF2MX (~10fps)

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#7]
Perturbatio, I suspect you may have gotten the wrong zip.. My bad - i had some foulups on uploading.. The zip should be sys_grass_alpha.zip

But, for this system running on a GF2MX i'd suspect 10fps is rather fabulous as for the looks - I agree, it's not ment to pretty just yet (as mentioned above)... but by the time of release it'll be looking right :). Thanks for the test and feedback!

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#8]
7112.6 and 32 fps, P4 1.8 GF3 Ti200

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#9]
20026.6 - 91fps, P4, 2.4ghz, 512mb, FX5900+128mb

Pepsi(Posted 2004) [#10]
score: 3359.4
avg: 15 fps
System specs in me sig

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#11]
Nice score zawran!

So far it looks like theres to much flux in the way its distributing performance... Theres a catch in the system that attmepts to smooth out performace based on scale.. Ie more handling done on systems that show more fps - quads being released when outside the view spectrum etc.. Theres still several opt's to be done.

JBR(Posted 2004) [#12]
30129.0 & 136fps, P4 3GHz & 512Mb & Radeon 9800Pro

Marg

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#13]
Test 3: 23179 - 105 fps AMD Barton XP 2800+, 1 gig ram, Radeon 9700 Pro... (from the center of the map looking around)

high flux in performance tho.

Also noticed that the scoring/linearity of the demo isn't propper, due to the terrain ending if I walk around I can easily hit 40000 points or more. (without getting close to the edge)

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#14]
Just some tech notes about the demo:

test 1: 24,000 quads @ 48,000 tris/poly ( X2 bcull enabled? )

test 2: 36,000 quads @ 72,000 tris/poly ( X2 bcull enabled? )

test 3: 48,000 quads @ 96,000 tris/poly ( X2 bcull enabled? )

Yah retro, avg scores should be based on a stationary pivot... I'll compile a new test later, as soon as i add the final system, which will yeild more accurate readings.

Magitta(Posted 2004) [#15]
test3:
75fps avg.

specs:
AMDXP2600+, 512MB, RAD9600XT

Henrik(Posted 2004) [#16]
Test 2: Score 4754.2/avg 21 ...Nice demo :)

koekjesbaby(Posted 2004) [#17]
fps: 132
score: 29117.0
amd 3000+ radeon 9800pro 512mb ram

looks pretty cool

ps. test 3:
fps: 96
score: 21195.0

Craig Watson(Posted 2004) [#18]
test 2: 19764.8 avg fps 89

test 3: 16022.6 avg fps 72
AMD 2600+, Radeon 9600XT, 1GB RAM

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#19]
As a benchmark used in comparison to other machines this is (sorry) useless. Depending on where you look, the score changes. Depending on where you stand the score changes.

I got 17615.4 @ 80fps on a p4-2.0 with a pos ibm video card that I believe shares system ram.

In order to have a good benchmark you have to have perfectly repeatable conditions. YOU move the camera and look at things. The user has no interaction with the program. Otherwise you'll get results like mine above. I ran to the edge of the map and stared at blackness for most of the "benchmark". That inflated my score badly.

Nice grass though... Just no use as a benchmark.

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#20]
This was mentioned earlier...

It's not intended for a blitz3d - computer benchmark score.. its a test for a grass system im making.

I want to get an idea if my speed is in the right direction before moving on...

The score provides me with information which in turn helps me determine what area i could imporve in.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2004) [#21]
will this be a free upgrade for blitztree3d owners or a separet product and at what cost if that is so

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#22]
ah. I see. I'll see what I get on.... the beast.

Well... just to see what it'd do, I ran to the edge and my machine renders blackness so fast I think it must have a flux capacitor in it. I got negative exponential values for both numbers. :)

Lemme try it looking in a circle from just the center of the map. :)

38086.4 @ 173 fps
lowfps was 125 and high was 250 I believe.

Athlon64 3000+ OC'd to 2.2Ghz / 1.5Gb DDR400 / Radeon 9800XT

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#23]
Several new opts' went in, including some better sorting of the quads.. results compared to my pic posted earlier! much higher!

Smurfpass, undecided as of now..
Kanati, thats some insane FPS! hmmm does radeon own geforce that much?? I may invest in a radeon soon.. or hold out for a gf 6800... hmmm

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#24]
Well... actually yours seems pretty low for an FX51 and 5950... I would expect you to be faster than me. But I *am* oc'd on my cpu which brings it pretty near the FX51's performance...

Lemme try the new one... Which isn't linked... :)

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#25]
I suspect it's the geforce as Sandra benchmark reports a huge bottleneck from agp to my cpu and Geforce has been known to have massive bottleneck problems.... I havent linked the new demo yet as im working out some other issues... but will soon.

John-Robin(Posted 2004) [#26]
Impressive.

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#27]
Kanati for the test to be even i suggest you stand still in the middle of the map at your starting position until the test runs its course. thats what i did

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#28]
Standing still where I started:

Moving around:

specs in sig

Out of all three tests, the average one had the most vertical tearing. Maybe because the average fps was nearer to my refresh rate? Also, some z-order problems - I used to get that on my stuff. Something to do with the chosen entity fx.

Matty(Posted 2004) [#29]
Cannot get it to work. After selecting any of the three options Low/Med/Extreme my PC just sits there doing what seems to be nothing for a very long time so I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL out of it. Probably my machine is too low spec:

AMD K6-500 Mhz, Geforce 2 MX. 256 Mb Ram.

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#30]
Kantai, whats your card settings at?
Im using ffa x4, also I benchmarked during windowed mode in the blitz editor (debug mode)..

I've got the last of the optimizations in so I'll post a demo today that sits the camera in a hot spot and slowly rotates... this will render more accurate results across-the-board..

Thanks for the early alpha test guys! It'll be neat seeing you compare the results you got yesterday with the new version today... I look forward to seeing improved scores!

More later.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#31]
Kanati for the test to be even i suggest you stand still in the middle of the map at your starting position until the test runs its course. thats what i did

That's what I did. I expected a bit lower score based on other's, but I did stand in the middle of the map... Even spun in a circle a few times to look at the loverly grass. :)

Alienhead: I have full screen antialiasing set to "application preference", so if your program uses it, it's turned on (and I did notice it looks a little like AA was on, but didn't think much about it). The card isn't overclocked (don't like the possibility of blowing a 500 dollar+ video card.) but the CPU is (220x10@ 2.2ghz).

I'm interested in what you get with running the exe. You should get much better results while not windowed and in debug mode. :)

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2004) [#32]
11785.4 and avarage of 54fps. Specs below.

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#33]
Well I feel like i've finished the core routines and made all the improvements needed. The end results are very very fast while supporting insane amounts of poly and textures.

This screenshot isnt pretty but it shows more than 878,000 tris being processed and yet maintaining a very high fps rate.
pass 3 screenshot

I've moved into the last part of the systems development stage.. Grass placemnet options and effects... After this i'll cmpile a package of high-quality photo-real grass and weed textures..

Heres a shot of a simple colormap being used to position grass on my map. I plan on a few other techniques to allow easy grass placement as well.
colormap placement

Some filters are being worked on as well, in this shot a soft-filter is appiled to the grass system.
soft-filter
soft-filter2

You may even mix filters amongest grass types, heres a soft and normal type mixed in the same scene.
soft-filter3

An ability to force masking or alpha channels is coming!

More later!

Smurfpuss(Posted 2004) [#34]
well i must say that this is impressive i can't wait until this comes out well deppends on with price it is going to have and if it work good together with blitztree3d

EOF(Posted 2004) [#35]
Score = 3476
AVG 15 fps

AMD 1.6Ghz Geforce4 MX 64MB WinXP Home

Grisu(Posted 2004) [#36]
Score = 17770
AvG = 62

(Highest Detail 3 & Moving around)

Spec = AMD XP 2100, 512 DDR, Ati Radeon 9600xt w. 256 MB

NobodyInParticular(Posted 2004) [#37]
On highest detail:
Score = 8958.4 and AVG = 40
On lowest detail:
Score = 24063.6 and AVG = 109

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#38]
test3, stationary: 16152.4/73fps (using my new GFX Card).

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#39]
Ty guys, these scores have given me an overall idea where i stand. Ive been hard at work the last 3 days furthering this engine and it's starting to look close to finished. I plan to release this new demo sometime this weekend.

I've had several emails with concerns about mixing the grass system with blitztree system. Rest assured the systems will interchange with each other perfectly.

As matter of fact I've already made sure of this and plan to demostrate this in the next demo. Heres a few pics

Blitzgrass+blitztree 1
Blitzgrass+blitztree 2

John-Robin(Posted 2004) [#40]
Excellent. Where's the BUY NOW button ? :)

Edwin SI(Posted 2004) [#41]
ooh really cool !!!
Like John-R said...where's the BUY button.
(oh and make a blitztree/blitzgrass bonuspack with a discount for TreemahgikPro users will ya :-)