Mario in dreamland - midi

Community Forums/Showcase/Mario in dreamland - midi

Nebula(Posted 2004) [#1]
I need some feedback. Yesterday I got working on this mario music, but I can not decide what to do.
I just added a stronger bass sound, is this enough? Also is the music to repetitive (to much anoying bell sounds?) Is the intro clear enough(is it recognizable?)

Download here :

http://www.cromdesign.nl/music/midi/mario.mid

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#2]
It's not really Mario style, other than that I'm not shure what to say, I don't recall having heard anything similar, but some more variation in tones would probably make it better. I don't think the very first part of the intro is good, but overall it's pretty nice :)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#3]
too 'tinkly '. sounds more like a childs nursery rhyme kind of thing.
nees to be a bit more dramatic in my opinion

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hmmm yes the bell sound needs changing to something more...mellow with more sustain maybe?

Remotely resembles the Mario sort of style but I had myself thinking of chinese/japanese influences possibly pentatonic scales in there.

I like it as a melody, you just need to play around with different voices to make it more appealing.

Nebula(Posted 2004) [#5]
I took only the 'mario' melody, then started writing a song around it.
The feedback is appreciated. Once I start working on a song then it is hard to listen to it as a whole.

The song now has more 'movie style' drama and had a lot of minor changes.

http://www.cromdesign.nl/music/midi/mario_upd.mid

And the mp3 version that is sampled thru a tone generator.
http://www.cromdesign.nl/music/2004/mario_dream.mp3

The volumes are still buggered, headphones vs boxes vs midi ect. Need more practise.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#6]
Definitely getting better, has a unique quirky quality about it.

Appears to sound like several 'blocks' of melody though, I think it would benefit from some sustained strings in the background to pad it out.

Keep at it! =)

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yes - backgound strings or synth would help also you need to add a few more notes to the bass line - it only plays the root note every couple of chord changes - add in a few 5ths and 7ths this will fill those gaps and add a bit of pace !

sswift(Posted 2004) [#8]
That's the Mario music from the original gameboy version, which might be why some of you don't recognize it as a mario tune. I remember hearing that originally and not thinking it fit a Mario game.

As for your version... It could do with some additional copies of the instruments to give it more of a thicker more reverberant sound.

What's a tone generator?

The mp3 sounds better of course being midi. But I can't help feeling that it needs more. Maybe louder strings too. They kinda fade into the background.

Nebula(Posted 2004) [#9]
I think I remember the melody from a television show about mario. The one with the actors and cartoons in between. The music has been used a lot.

What's a tone generator?

It's like a software synth table. But only hardware. The Yamaha Tone generator I have can be hooked up to the midi port, and be programmed ect. The quality and effects are very nice.

I am still not sure of where to take the song (style wise). A more present lower frequency is something I will pay more attention to.