Tank Universal

Community Forums/Showcase/Tank Universal

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#1]
Getting there. A couple of shots of the start of level 1 - a Gorgon trooper in the foreground.

The level is vertex lit. The gun's a placeholder.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hmmmm... after Tron 2.0 game these kind of scenes really scream for "glow" effects?

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#3]
Mustang

Yeah - I do have a quick and dirty 'bloom' filter that just 'glows' the glowing bits (it's the usual render/blur and copy to a quad stretched across the camera), but this sort of effect costs frames and I want to have a fair amount of things going on (rather than just a level and a few baddies per room etc..)

Perhaps Blitzmax will allow for that sort of effect without having to resort to somewhat tortured workarounds and slow copyrect commands.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#4]
Just my luck to post when bloody Halo posts a screenshot...

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#5]
i like your style!

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#6]
:)

Few comments more then... I think that the subtle texture on the wall is really not right; IMO it would be better if you lose it alltogether or make it much more geometric and striking... and fill the black BG void with some "electronic" stuff? And make the scene more "mono colored", maybe...

Check these:

http://actionvault.ign.com/features/media/tron20screens.shtml

August 21, 2003 shots, third from the left looks like your scene but it is more boldly done, like those geometric patterns and such.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#7]
I really like the striking effect of the vertex lighting. Glows would rock though.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#8]
Mustang/Rob

Heh. Thanks for the feedback.

Well, there's no way I can match the graphical excellence of Tron2.0 frankly - and I don't really want to either, as it'd be a poor man's attempt (hey, I'm just one coder/designer). So I've been attempting to develop my own gameworld style. I accept it's not as striking as Tron2.0's

The screens I've posted don't really show it, but a big part of that is to rely on a sense of scale. And so the glowing bits aren't the main focus of the level geometry, more window dressing. One thing I found with the Tron2.0 demo, it was often difficult to get a sense of scale. It was pretty, but also kind of claustrophobic?. That won't be a prob with TU.

The sky actually has distant grid patterns and a rotating cloud mesh (for a contrast with all the sharp edges). I'll post some new shots shortly (also an underground area which is all deep green, lava and red fog -an unusual colour scheme).

Rob
Glows - I can code it, but it just seems too expensive without a faster copyrect or rendertotexture command. What do you think?

Steve C ™(Posted 2004) [#9]
Looks really cool :)

Andy(Posted 2004) [#10]
I am still playing the old demo... Please, tell me there's a new demo coming!

Where can I pay!

Andy

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#11]
Andy

Still a way to go (understatement).

Will need to get a demo level out for feedback, but won't be within the next month.

Andy(Posted 2004) [#12]
MADJACK,

OK, but where do I pay... And does it play DVD's? ;)

What minimum specs are you aiming for?

Mine at this point are:
Celeron 1.4GHz
512MB RAM
Geforce 256DDR 32MB

Andy

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#13]
You had a demo version some time ago in which you could control a tank and fight other thanks, and that was already very impressive. Now this looks even better, with the detailed scenery. So is the game now a combination of tank and first person action?

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#14]
Foppy

Yes - the tank action'll still be the main part of the game, but I do want short bits where the player has to get out of the tank and do stuff on foot.

Andy(Posted 2004) [#15]
Does it play DVD's?

Andy

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#16]
DVD's? Don't understand.

Specs - can't yet say.

Civilians..

Andy(Posted 2004) [#17]
>DVD's? Don't understand.

A movie quote from 'Bad Company'... Don't worry about it!

Looks good...

Andy

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#18]
Definately looks playable ^^ Keep it up!!!

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#19]
New worklog if anyone's interested.

http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/logs/userlog.php?user=1028&log=279

GNS(Posted 2004) [#20]
Bit late responding but TU is looking better and better. It's nice to see the 'digitized city' idea come to life and the little details (i.e. civilians looking directly at the player) are great.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#21]
GNS/Mustang

Actually, after racking up my critical functions, I'm really not happy with TU's design as it stands now (agree with Mustang).

I'm using vertex lighting and I'm finding it gives a very harsh effect and (of course) is not as pretty as a UV mapped lightmapped. Combined with my crappy texturing skills, it's just not doing job.

So have decided to 'break up the surfaces' with more complex texturing giving the impression of raised white panels on black seams, sometimes with colourful glowing 'circuits'. By including a lot of black, I hope to minimise the weaknesses of vertex lighting and make things seem more interesting.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#22]
Joy

After doing some testing I've discovered how to combine masks/texture/entity blending to give glowing panels and edge lines (ala Tron), with vertex lit or lightmapped shadows. Ripper.

Blitz is fantastic.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#23]

I've discovered how to combine masks/texture/entity blending to give glowing panels and edge lines (ala Tron), with vertex lit

12 years later... and i'm using the same tricks :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#24]
But Jack is on Tank Universal 2 now ;)

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#25]
I know, and this time he probably uses real per pixel glow...