Skools Out Demo Now Available.

Community Forums/Showcase/Skools Out Demo Now Available.

Grimmy(Posted 2004) [#1]
Visit www.muckybaby.com to check out Skools out or the showcase area at www.blitzcoder.com in the adventure section. Hope you all enjoy it!!

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
Oo oo, do you use Alice Cooper's song? I love that song: "SCHOOOOOOL'S out for the summer!"

You'll have to tell use how things go with Xing. I've heard horror stories, but that was a while ago.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#3]
Downloading now -- may be some time on 56k! -- been looking forward to seeing this one!

Grimmy(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hope you have fun James! It should be worth the wait. Let me know what you guys think once youve played it :)

puki(Posted 2004) [#5]
Hey "Grinny" I just checked out the showcase - this looks really good and cutsey looking - will download this sucker later tonight and have a go later. The screenshots look hot.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#6]
You've signed it to Xing Interactive?!?!?! Please tell me you haven't??! :/

Mousey(Posted 2004) [#7]
Typical... I discover this at 11:15pm on Sunday night! I've been looking forward to this for a while. If this has even half the playability of Skooldaze or Back to Skool then it's a must purchase. Shame I won't get to play the demo until tomorrow after work!

GfK(Posted 2004) [#8]
I like it. Its a lot like Skooldaze.

What I didn't like, was that after I collected £20 worth of stuff and got out of the house, I seemed to keep getting lines for absolutely no reason at all.

Grimmy(Posted 2004) [#9]
Yep, noted that one. Gonna have the teachers be a little more sensible abvout issuing lines in the final build.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#10]
look very nice. downloading it now

Tracer(Posted 2004) [#11]
Yikes.. 2 and a half minutes to download 30megs.. slooow host man!

Very cool game btw :)

Oh, and steer clear of Xing.. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay clear of Xing...

Couple of things.. you use lots of BMP's.. you may be able to make the install smaller by converting those babies to PNG format. Also, keep in mind that MP3 is not free to use, over 5000 (i think) copies sold and you gotta start coughing up cash.. Convert em to Ogg, those are smaller too (usually).

Tracer

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#12]
, over 5000 (i think) copies sold and you gotta start coughing up cash

Worse, I think. Over 5,000 copies distributed and you gotta start coughing up cash. And that would include people downloading the demo for free.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#13]
Cool graphics, a shaded cartoon aesthetic from an angled top down camera is something I'm going for in my next project. The visual effect of areas fading in and out as you walk around (up/down stairs especially) was really effective.

The credits screen is pretty ridiculous. Instead of having "Simon Keating" scroll by forever, just have one item which says "Developed by Simon Keating" or something like that.

googlemesilly(Posted 2004) [#14]
what do i do if it says It can't set the display mode ?

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#15]
yeah i get the same thing on my old graphics card. will try it on my other machine today. it looks damned interesting

RepeatUntil(Posted 2004) [#16]
Unable to set graphics mode!!
Why nobody likes old computer owner??????????

Is there a way to set the depht option with a text file in your game??

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#17]
Considering the game supports 640x480 resolution, I'm guessing the problem is with color depth. You should support both 16 and 32 bit color.

Of course, it may be starting up into 1024x768, in which case having 640x480 in the settings menu doesn't help any.

Grimmy(Posted 2004) [#18]
Cheers for your feedback guys.
I will look into the colour depth problem. The res switching should work fine though.
Regarding the Mp3 format, Ive never heard of this but I'm looking into it.
We tested the demo thoughouly but obviously not on enough PCs. Sorry to everyone who had problems.
cheers again guys.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#19]
Grimmy -- the mp3 thing:

http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/games.html

Like Tracer says, convert them to .ogg and you'll be fine.

I'll be trying the game shortly!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#20]
Hmm, won't install here! It gets to 8% ("panel01.bmp") every time, then just sits there -- I've even tried rebooting to no avail. I'll try another machine later...

Warren(Posted 2004) [#21]
A few points:

1) My character seems to jump up/down all the time, like he's having some sort of collision issue.

2) The "zoom in to pick things up" interface needs refinement. The main problem being the distance at which I can touch things. I constantly find that I : zoom in, am told I'm too far away, zoom out, adjust position, zoom in, etc. It's an annoying process that could be alleviated by extending that range somewhat.

3) When I mouse the mouse left/right, change the characters orientation. It's incredibly disorienting to turn the camera 90 degrees and find that your characters movement direction hasn't changed. So now forward moves to the right ... confusing and makes turning the camera something I will never, ever, bother with again.

It's an interesting idea, but could use a month of refinement and polish.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#22]
I found the controls/movement very frustrating too. that would be enough to put me off playing an otherwise cool game.
I seemed to be sideways on to the player trying to work out which key would move him forward.

nice graphics, interesting plot . scary voices

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#23]
Movement should be camera relative. That is, the left arrow should move the character left relative to the camera view, etc. This is fairly easy to do using TFormVector.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#24]
yeh i gave up just coz of the control.......see above