Victory Day

Community Forums/Showcase/Victory Day

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#1]

We've been working for a while on this, and it's finally getting there. This is the first public image released. The team is Alec Moody, Matt Gilg, Dustin Adair, Colleen Delzer, Werner Stoerk, Mikael Bowellan, and myself.

Also coming soon, the World War II Media Pack contains all the models and textures you need to fill your WWII or other-themed game with art. The package includes approximately 20 weapon models, 8 vehicles, 100+ textures, 10 buildings, and more. All artwork is held to the highest standards of quality to ensure a professional look for your game.

N(Posted 2004) [#2]
Nice. Now if only you were asking for critique.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#3]
whooaa....

--Mike

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#4]
Looks really nice. The ramp looks sorta out of place though. I don't know why. Maybe railings would help.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#5]
Jeez. It hasn't been too long since you first talked about doing a WWII game... I guess. Couldn't convert the catmother models as you might guess. The tris data was wierd.

Looks great though. That level looks great, from what I can see of it. Keep that kind of variation up in a full single/multi player game, and you've got a winner.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#6]
Can you describe the game? Between the name, screenshot, and your reference to an upcoming WWII media pack I'm inclined to groan, "Not another bland WWII first-person shooter." However, I don't want to just make an assumption.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#7]
@sybixus: The ramps look out of place because there should be stairs.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#8]
That was something I forgot...I am using ramps for the player physics, and meant to add a non-colliding stair brush.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#9]
Which is an easy task in CShop?

Rob(Posted 2004) [#10]
1) There's no excuse with stairs or stair brushes. Code can solve the stair climbing problem.

2) The textures are too low resolution. It makes it all look muddy. Make sure you use Multiply2X blend - it's way nicer.

3) The bricks suck. You do not have bricks running down the seam. You have a concrete or rubble texture instead of a slanted brick texture.

4) The gun metal isn't shiny enough.

5) The tree just sitting there in the courtyard as if it can magically walk across cobblestones is amazing. Use some imagination and build an earth moat around it. The trees also look like toilet brushes.

The overall look is that of a very bad Quake2 mod with a rifle penis getting a boner over nothing. I'll be pleased to point out faults if you don't cry like a baby and fix them.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#11]
The overall look is that of a very bad Quake2 mod with a rifle penis getting a boner over nothing. I'll be pleased to point out faults if you don't cry like a baby and fix them.

You would be a great peace/hostage negotiator... :P

I agree that the tree looks odd... but it would be much better if it would have some sort of sandy square where to sit in:

Often big cities have ornamental cast iron grates too in the "sandbox" to protect the tree roots or even metal fences around the tree:

More tree grates:

http://www.ironsmith.cc/treegrates2.htm

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#12]
As someone who has created numerous levels in both Quake2 and 3 I can say that the level design can use a lot of work. I like the skybox though...

Edwin SI(Posted 2004) [#13]
The rumble comming from the right building looks thicker then the wall it came from. And those textures are not properly aligned.

1st Impression i had was good though and in the heat of battle i don't stop to admire texture-orientation. :-)

skn3(Posted 2004) [#14]
Looks nice, but you definatly need some more polygons in there.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#15]
Looks very old as already said. And the gun is so far out in the screen it's just like 'where's my hands dude!?'

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#16]
I think that's the way it is because the gun is from Day of Defeat. I could be mistaken, though!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#17]
it's a work in progress... i'm sure there's still a lot to be done...

the ramps, the brick texture on the bulding in the background, the hand added to the rifle...

... and yes, the tress that seem to grow out of solid rock.

i'm sure that josh sees all of these things... and while being critical, in a constructive manner, we don't really need to hammer it in on him...

right now it looks nice... and shows the signs of being a really great scene...

there are enough elements in it already that make it worth a double take

a few changes here and there, and this could look really great...

ya know fellas, i've been seeing this sort of negativism on the 3drad board, and on the 3dgs board too lately... a lot of unnecessarily harsh critiques of a fellow developers work... just for the sake of criticism, and not for any constructive pupose...

me thinks we can all be a lil better than this...

--Mike

Rob(Posted 2004) [#18]
Yeah well it's up to Josh not to treat us like vegetables and maybe we'll be more polite. My points are valid because I think he's capable of a higher standard.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#19]
For me it all depends on the gameplay mechanics, this screenie doesnt mean much if the gameplay sux,

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#20]
My point is:
Take me as an example: I for one am ready, willing and able to buy CShop, and I don't care whether Halo/Josh is a nice guy or not - he is obviously 'capable of a higher standard',I agree.

Josh, I guess that you are working on quite a few things at a time. You are active in the Tokamak thread, doing this here game, and 'the next big thing' while customers (and wannabe's like me) wait for features on CShop to be finished. Under these circumstances people lose interest or even get harsh.

The consequence is that people get annoyed and, more important - you are losing customers.

Regards,
Dirk

*(Posted 2004) [#21]
One thing I would do is get rid of the ramps, they are waaay to steep to be realistic IMHO. I would replace them with stairs. Apart from that it doesnt look too bad =)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#22]
i know... you know... and i think that josh knows, what josh is like...

... that doesn't mean that we have to lower ourselves down to his level of rudeness...

besides... none of us are perfect on this score, myself included, so...

you just have to be yourself... and not a response to someone elses idea of what they think you are...

all i'm saying is that all this vile and resentfullness that is appearing lately, can definitely NOT be a good thing...

this is supposed to be a community...

it's a lil difficult for me to reconcile some of the great work going on with some of the post i've been reading lately...

this is not good...

and you guys/gals are really in trouble when i start sounding like a voice of reason around here...

--Mike

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#23]

a lot of unnecessarily harsh critiques of a fellow developers work... just for the sake of criticism, and not for any constructive pupose...

That's the way some of this reads to me, too, which is rather sad.

For a bunch of non-professional people working via the net in their spare time and using low cost tools, I think it really looks very well done. I thought we were all in the same boat here...

Constructive criticism, whether welcome or not, is supportive; plain old negative attacks are not. (I do note that some people have posted constructive criticism here.)

Think we can maybe be a little less negative and hostile around here?

and you guys/gals are really in trouble when i start sounding like a voice of reason around here...

Heh... no comment!

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#24]
Funny thing is, if it were my work, Rob's reply would be the only one I would appreciate. He *doesn't* take into account the difficulty of producing stuff, and our audiences will not either.

All of Rob's points are spot on, if put a little un-tactfully. We shouldn't attack our fellow authors, but we should NEVER hold back on what we see that could be improved. Ever.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#25]
He *doesn't* take into account the difficulty of producing stuff, and our audiences will not either.

Excellent point. Producing something may take you tons of time and effort, but the average user won't take that into account when deciding if it's a good game or if they're going to spend money on it.

A good example is the terrain stuff I've been slaving over for the last few weeks. I tried multiple approaches and have finally arrived at a solution that I like and generates efficient, as well as attractive, results. However, the end user will simply look at the screenshot and immediately decide if they like it or not. They couldn't care less that it took me this long to get it looking like that... nor should they.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#26]
noone is singling out Rob as the bad guy here Mike... as a matter of fact, noone is singling out anyone in particular...

... and, noone is saying to hold back anything...

if you look back at some of my posts, i can hardly be accused of coddling anyone either...

i'm defintiely from the school of call em as you see em...

that not what i'm saying...

lemme try again...

this is supposed to be a developers community...

not a public trashing board where some head banging, fired up on prescription drugs, geek-o-nautical, self proclaimed matrix wannabeee can come and in his loudest and highest beavis voice proclaim... THIS GAME SUCKS!!!

very few outside of the developers community would have the faintest idea of what it takes to create even the simplest of games...

... and their opinions are of very lil consequence or relevance at this stage.

it's the people who work hard on game development, and hae put in hours upon hours on a single effort that are relevant here... they are the ones that count...

He *doesn't* take into account the difficulty of producing stuff

... and they might indeed do well to consider taking into account the hours and effort spent by another developer, not only as a courtesy, but as a constructive end in the criticsm, in an attempt to help the other guy... or you might as well be on the other side of the fence... you might as well be a user.

very few of us were born with the silver spoon of game creation or coding sticking outta our mouths... we all had to learn it somewhere...

from someone...

... someone who had eyes better than the ones we are using now, that enabled them to see past your nooobness, and give you the constructive crtique that put you on the path to where you are today...

when i see so many people around here taking on such a negative vein, well... it really disturbs me.

there is more going here than an objective assessment of the what the screenshot depicts... i think you can sense that...

... and this is not a good thing for any of us in the long run.

anyone who thinks that because halo thinks that he can walk on water, that he deserves this sorta stuff, is wrong...

you must learn the gifts of generousity and forgiveness... just like you've learned the gifts of resentfullness and revenge...

one set of gifts are strengths... the others are weaknessness...

hey, that's just the way i see it...

you guys/gals have something here...

do right with it, or it may dissappear...

the choice is yours...

--Mike

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#27]
The Author is probably reaping what he has harvested. However all the points mentioned were valid.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#28]
If you post your WIP here, you should expect people to find even the smallest criticism. Is what I have come to expect. But it's good, as your getting honest views not just "kekekeke its amazing, i love you kiss kiss"

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#29]
"kekekeke its amazing, i love you kiss kiss"

now thats my kind of crit. rather than praise I would l prefer money though
An ego hit last 5 minutes but 5 pounds lasts a bit longer( 10 minutes)

Binary_Moon(Posted 2004) [#30]
If you post your WIP here, you should expect people to find even the smallest criticism.

Thats not the problem. If someone other than halo had posted this you may well have seen the same critiques posted, they just would have been said in a nicer manner.

Its also unfortunate how all of Halo's threads degenerate into flame wars even when Josh has been pleasent - so far he hasn't said anything except to comment on the critiques mentioned.

As for my critique - I think that apart from the stairs this looks pretty good (if a little generic).

Something else that no-one has commented on is the trees. They seem rather flat to me, perhaps just some lighting being added to them would help. I don't know what CShops like with casting shadows from prefabs but that would help if it's possible.

puki(Posted 2004) [#31]
Hey, 'Medal of Honour - Lite' - Good stuff "Halo".

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#32]
That explains why Halo likes to have some descent trees. If I were him I'd ask Phillipe if it's allowed to take the plants from the TerraEd demo.

Although Binary_moon is right (concerning the point that the mere fact that Halo posted it created this discussion, I couldn't resist, too :-), I just have to state that this thread is not a flame war.

Maybe we should recognise that the Blitz community is a vivid one. The communication is working great give and take a few inches is fair.

Everything else was already posted here. Halo, give us stairs!

Regards,
Dirk

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#33]
It's the people who work hard on game development, and have put in hours upon hours on a single effort that are relevant here...

... and they might do well to consider taking into account the hours and effort spent by another developer, not only as a courtesy, but as a constructive end in the criticsm, in an attempt to help the other guy.

very few of us were born with the silver spoon of game creation or coding sticking outta our mouths... we all had to learn it somewhere...

First of all, I'd like to state that I have a great deal of respect for anyone that seriously tries making a game, or undertake any other major venture for that matter. I don't care if someone posted an FPS demo that consisted out of 3 cubes and a ball and I'd encourage him/her to improve upon it and become a better coder. I WILL however comment on everyones work based upon their skill level or the skill level they believe they have. Some months ago I coded someone a framework for a text based lemonade selling game, just because I saw the kid needed some good examples. I didn't flame him because he was making a puny text game! I just saw him as a potentialy good coder that was just trying to get a hang of things. I still remember the few persons that helped me when I started programing 3D games and I'm very glad to see most of the people here are nice and helpfull to people who still have lots to learn. Seriously, keep it up people, our great community is one of the things that makes blitz so strong, a little competition isn't a bad thing either as long as we keep it friendly.

As you probably know I'm not particularly fond of Halo as I have made clear in topics posted by him every now and then. This disliking towards him, is based on his behaviour on the forums over the past 2 years or so. I feel that I accurately describe Halo's character and abilities by saying he's a reasonably skilled coder who has a massive inferiority complex and therefore wants to feel and act like he's a god amongst mortals, better then anybody else. He may never realise this and continue to feel this way for the rest of his life, in which case I pitty him. The only thing to get a person to let go of this kind of attitude is usualy when someone who is more skilled then they are in the specific field they focus these feelings upon (in Halo's case coding games/engines), becomes friends with them and the person in question starts to admire them and realises it's not a bad thing to be less skilled in something then someone else. I’m sure I haven't been very helpfull in these aspects towards Halo and I'm equaly sure some people on this forum will wonder what the hell I'm on about when I post this. ;) But I realy hope Halo will get over this someday, he could be a good, likeable coder and he's done some quality stuff before. However his behaviour on this forum over the last years has not exactly made him popular and I feel sorry for the people who truely want to be "like him". Value his coding skills for what they mean to you, but don't strive to become a god, there are no gods on this planet, just people, people with hopes and dreams, trying to make them come true. If you’re determined to be the absolute best (in any skill or discipline), then that's a sure fire way to be dissapointed for the rest of your life! With 6 billion people on this rock to compete with, coming out on top is a gift as much as it is an achievement.

When I look around in the gamedevelopment community as well as every day life, I see people that aren’t where they should be, I see people with skills, visions and abilities, people who are working simple deskjobs yet have more vision then the people that are managing their managers, programmers that can tell more about a piece of software by running it then the coders know for themselves and people with the soft-skills to manage large teams of people toting around coffee! Have you ever asked yourself why? Why do some completely uncapable people hold such high positions and society? Why are some of the more hardworking/gifted people forced to work in service of these people and in positions that are far below what they are realy capable off? Isn’t it all about skill, determination, hard work? No, it is not, those are just small factors in the equation. The largest factor is still dumb old luck, being at the right place at the right time, meeting the right people. etc.

So when any of you or I myself get that chance to reach something in life, I hope that’s something we’ll remember, making it to the top doesn’t make you the greatest. More likely then not there’s a 100 people out there that are better at what you do, then you are yourself. You we’re just luckier!

Best of luck on your further ventures Halo…

I hope this post is of some help to everyone here!

Rob(Posted 2004) [#34]
It was too long for me to read so I didn't.

I will say this: I don't have a history of baiting halo at all. I have noticed him taunt me but I see full well where he's coming from. It is just banter.

My points are valid and if listened to, will improve the game. I stand by my points and my sarcasm. I do not believe I have attacked halo. But my points are honest. I see what gamesplayers would see.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#35]
"It was too long for me to read so I didn't."

Seriously, somebody give me a bookmark.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#36]
Why don't you take your increasingly sarcastic comments elsewhere? It doesn't make you clever.

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#37]
My points are valid and if listened to, will improve the game. I stand by my points and my sarcasm. I do not believe I have attacked halo. But my points are honest. I see what gamesplayers would see.

If you'd take a moment to read you'll see I'm not being judgemental on anyone here. (if that response was meanth for me atleast)
Oh and if something seems like a long read, atleast bother to read the first paragraph and see if it's actualy interesting, or you might miss out on something important...

Warren(Posted 2004) [#38]
He's right, it's too long. Brevity is your friend.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#39]
attention deficit disorder...

more and more prevalent in kids....

(don't shoot me, i come in peace)

--Mike

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#40]
"It doesn't make you clever."

I suppose not. *sigh* so much for my dream of being clever.

Bit odd to attack someone when they're agreeing with you, don't you think?

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#41]
He's right, it's too long. Brevity is your friend.

Atleast I know Halo will read it, in which case I've reached the main person it was meanth for, although I would have hoped that some other people would be inspired by it. ;)

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#42]
From an attention standpoint this is clearly Halo's Victory Day :-).

Not that I believe I could have the last word.

cermit(Posted 2004) [#43]
Mostly i ignore halo's topics, but i have to say that he better read RetroBoosters long post couse its damn true!
If he start to act normal( no god-acting ) i would be glad to post positive critics and not single him out and ignore the stuff he has to say.
Couse i'd love to see the Blitz community as a friendly community where we dont single people out.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#44]
would be glad to post positive critics

But make sure it's criticism!

Matt2222(Posted 2004) [#45]
Well, I have to say that halo is definately singled out and attacked. Halo has made two posts on his own thread, none of which are in any way "godlike" or negative. I think many of the individuals here need to think about what they are posting before they post. The blitz community will not magically become friendly, and may never become friendly, because many individuals here seem to have a very good handle on holding a grudge. AS A PART OF THIS PROJECT, I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT WE REALLY APPRECIATE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM BROUGHT FORTH IN A POSITIVE MANNER. HOWEVER, IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO BLOW STEAM AND WRITE OUT OF ANGER, PLEASE DO IT ELSEWHERE.

Thank you, and I hope everyone here reads this and really takes this new idea to heart. A friendly community can only yeild positive results.

-Matt Gilg
Art Director
Leadwerks Inc.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#46]
AS A PART OF THIS PROJECT, I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT WE REALLY APPRECIATE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM BROUGHT FORTH IN A POSITIVE MANNER. HOWEVER, IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO BLOW STEAM AND WRITE OUT OF ANGER, PLEASE DO IT ELSEWHERE.

And as part of this project, I sincerely hope you are paying attention to the criticism itself, not just the way it was delivered!

poopla(Posted 2004) [#47]
The revised screen looks much better. But just looks like another WW2 game.. (This is a legit question Halo.) Why should I be interrested? If you have some ideas for gripping new gameplay, then even I might want to play it, and I'm tired of WW2 shooters.

cermit(Posted 2004) [#48]
But make sure it's criticism!

Yeah :) why not.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#49]
The revised screen does indeed look much better. I don't like the bayonet, though - it should look more like a bayonet. The bricks down the bottom right are still problematic. There is either a texture tiling or lightmapping flaw down the bottom left. I would also consider revising the texture of the left hand building roof.

N(Posted 2004) [#50]
There's a bayonet on that thing? Is it that little line off to the right of it?

Anyhow, new screenshot looks much better.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#51]
And oh yeah, new shot is a lot better. Still needs work, but a big step in the right direction.

You still seriously need to move the gun in a lot closer though. it feels disconnected, as if you're playing fletch in the the invisible man.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#52]
The new screen:

Stairs are much nicer than ramps.

Slanted brick texture on broken bricks still present.
Broken bricks texture and scale seems completely off, as is the actual size and thickness of the broken brick chunks.

Fire and smoke nice.

If building has been bombed then debris should be all over the place.

The trees still look like Dr Who set pieces.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#53]
Well... it (level) did get considerably better quickly with just a few changes here and there and that's what matters IMO. Like Halo said, this was the FIRST public showing of a work/game that is very much WIP. Few comments could have been not-so-blunt but general agreement seemed to emerge how to make it better - and those were noted and corrected without flaming or anything from Halo and now it's better than it was before.

Few problems remain, like trees, but I'm sure that they will be changed sooner or later too.

And why do "another boring wwII FPS"? Why not? There are only few FPS genres that can be considered to be "classics", like sci-fi/monsters (Doom3 ,HL, HL2...), war (BF1942, CoD, MOHAA...) and few even merging both like RtCW. So why not do something like this to prove that it can be done even with Blitz3D? I'm sure that doing an FPS that includes farming exotic alien fruits and tap dancing would be "original" but does it get noticed, bought and played? Don't think so...

Rob(Posted 2004) [#54]
No, I love FPS's! I'd do one myself if I had the time. I'll be downloading this when the demo is out. If I didn't care, I probably wouldn't comment.

puki(Posted 2004) [#55]
Hey, even more 'Medal of Honour - Lite' - Good stuff "Halo" (& co).

Warren(Posted 2004) [#56]
A friendly community can only yeild positive results.

Hey, rocks and glass houses and all that. Keep halo's ego under control and I'm sure the community will come around.

Zace(Posted 2004) [#57]
I think it looks great. Cant wait to see how it plays running round and shooting peeps.

The rifle - does andother hand come forward to support it's weight?

:)

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#58]
The reason for the theme is there are plenty of references. This keeps everyone on the same page while allowing all departments to function independently. I don't have to collaberate constantly with the sound guy because I know we both have an idea of what the final product "should" feel like. Most of the credit here is due to the model and texture artists. Some of them are pretty pissed, and just got a really bad impression of Blitz.

The rifle is a German k98 with grenade launcher installed on the end, and I assure you it's accurate. The character models are not done, so there are no arms in the scene, and I haven't really messed too much with the gun placement.

The message a lot of these comments convey is "success is bad", as if acheiving what you are trying to do is somehow "selling out". That attitude is kind of unique to this forum. You don't really come across that in the mod or other indie communities.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#59]
I don't think you're reading them properly. That's not really the message at all.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#60]
The message is mostly that YOU are bad. YOUR EGO is bad. If you would just stop trying to convince everyone here that you are the only decent programmer in the community then people wouldn't treat you the way they do.

And that's my only "nice" post in regards to halo you'll see til he changes his spots. :)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#61]
I'm rather curious where you got that impression. I see some posts which were harsh criticism, but I don't see anything which indicates the author of the post thinks you are selling out.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#62]
The message a lot of these comments convey is "success is bad", as if acheiving what you are trying to do is somehow "selling out". That attitude is kind of unique to this forum. You don't really come across that in the mod or other indie communities.

Actually I think the general attitude was "success is good, but you call *that* success?".

Matt2222(Posted 2004) [#63]
Quote: "Actually I think the general attitude was "success is good, but you call *that* success?"."

Please tell me how these statements contribute to your point:

"If you’re determined to be the absolute best (in any skill or discipline), then that's a sure fire way to be dissapointed for the rest of your life!"

"The overall look is that of a very bad Quake2 mod with a rifle penis getting a boner over nothing. I'll be pleased to point out faults if you don't cry like a baby and fix them."

This topic was posted for positive and constructive criticism. We DO NOT want to to worship our creations, but we do ask that you bring faults to our attention in a positive and professional manner. Is that really too much to ask?

Thank you,
-Matt

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#64]
This topic was posted for positive and constructive criticism. We DO NOT want to to worship our creations, but we do ask that you bring faults to our attention in a positive and professional manner. Is that really too much to ask?

The trouble is, for many 'positive and professional' isn't what comes to mind when they think of Josh. I don't think either of you should get defensive - ignore the idiots and take the advice on board. Because the feedback itself was good - the feedback about the map, at least, and it's rare to get others to point out flaws!

poopla(Posted 2004) [#65]
When you post on a forum you need to understand there are issues in the local community that may be deeper then you want. Objectivety and professional feedback may be what you want, but you can't expect anything from anyone, since no one owes you anything. Like michael said, take the positive feedback that has been offered, and ignore the rest.

You have a habit of thinking people here have to be nice, and getting all defensive matt.

You havn't been here long enough to understand theres more to some things then meets the eye.

(I don't care either way, I think the screenshot looks good. The gun might be a bit too far out though.)

[edit] The roof on the left top looks crappy. Fix it. NOW!

*(Posted 2004) [#66]
Stairs are much better, now it doesnt look too bad =)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#67]
hey... all the political and personal food fighting aside, i really am into this genre of game...

... probably because the only WWII shooter i've played is MOH... and it hooked me from minute one...

the rest just don't have the feel and the unique quality of bringing the player into the game (immersion, is that the word that i'm looking for)...

... not just because of the graphics (which play a big role indeed), but also because of the enemy AI...

the enemy soldiers learn from your lasat assault on em, rarely defend or attack the same way twice...

they adapt to the way you play them...

and they verbally abuse you and scream so wonderfully when shot or blown up..

the graphics go a loong way towards making you feel that you are actually in WWII Europe... or what i would imagine WWII Europe to be like...

and the landing on the beach at Nomandy... that was just plain friggin outrageous... (good outrageous)...

hey, i'm looking forward to the next installment of MOH... i think they're gonna take me someplace out in the Pacific.

what can i say, i'm hooked on the franchise... sorta the way the Flight Sim has bled me dry over the years, keeping up with the updates, and buying a new machine every time a new version came out, so i could run it...

if halo's game even comes close to MOH... i'll buy a license...

so far, the scenes that he's showed looks like he's on the right track...

the red bricks are a lil too 'projects' like (urban multiple dwelling projects)... they look like one of the buildings in South Jamaica Queens (NY)...

aside from that lil critique he seems to have captured the atmosphere of a war torn village...

... maybe a lil more trash and rubble on the streets... some more bomb damage...

hey... it doesn't look bad at all for an early wip...

by the way... what's all this talk about success...

where... show me where...

so i can rip off a lil off it... i really need a couple of successful things to jump into my life right about now...

--Mike

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#68]
This is more a test map, so I am going to try to include everything we plan on using in the game. I think a village map should either be totally bombed out or not, but want to test both styles. The official version will probably be not-bombed.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#69]
Mike

Success lies in conservation of periods.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#70]
hahahahahahahahaaa

ouch Epic...

hey, what can i say... i just can't help myself...

i'm addicted to these lil things...

they represent the art of perfection...

they are the sublime ending... and the infinite continuation...

just look at them...

LOOK AT THEM I SAID.....

don't look tooo hard...

just look, don't concentrate on them, or you will miss all of their heavenly glory...

they are one with the universe...

they are one with God...

to understand them is to love them...

and to love them is a form of success in itself...

conserve commas instead...

--Mike

poopla(Posted 2004) [#71]
nono, conserve periods because you're starving their population into near extinction.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#72]
Halo, looks very nice. Good to see you're working on a game.
BTW. >>The rifle is a German k98<< a friend of mine has one, he's using it for 1000m distance targets - so much about accuracy. Looking forward to see a nice game.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#73]
Yeah, it can be used as a sniper rifle.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#74]
x2 on the lightmaps would make the lighting appear less bland.

The windows all look weird. I guess cause of the way they cast realtively large shadows. Most windows don't stick out from the wall.

The roof and sidewalk textures are might too flat and featureless.

And the wall could use some rounding, and the sidewalk too, but I'd do the sidewalk with texture shading tricks.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#75]
Halo, what happened to Metal and Singularity? Any demos(I mean from a final/commercial game, not engine tech, have no interest in tech demos that don't have normal mapping/rag doll or at the very least full frontal nudes of halle berry in a swimsuit...how someone does a full frontal while still dressed I dunno, but she's halle berry..

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#76]
Metal was a completed game, sold by Idigicon.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#77]
...And to my knowledge (sorry Halo if I remember wrong) Singularity was put "on hold" because there wasn't sci-fi content to be found like textures, models etc (enough good quality and visually matching).

WWII is much easier in that sense, and you *know* how that stuff should look like... sci-fi genre is much harder, especially if you have a team that must share the same vision of how everything should look like... then you need design sketches & artwork at least to show this vision for everyone, but that is probably too big goal for small teams.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#78]
Any demos of metal? I've not got a angle, I just wanna see the game that is the source of such great egotism ;)

Rob(Posted 2004) [#79]
Go to the idigicon website and download it.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#80]
It's kind of fun, but not too great-looking, since I had to make all the art myself.

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#81]
I think given how long ago you made Metal that it's a very admirable effort. I am interested in seeing more of this latest team effort.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#82]
i dont care about what it looks like as long as gameplay rocks.....wheres a demo I love WW2 shooters

Rob(Posted 2004) [#83]
i dont care about what it looks like as long as gameplay rocks
You lie.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#84]
why would you say that?

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#85]
because everyone cares about the graphics... it may not (and should not) be first priority, but it IS a part of the whole package and it does matter. Despite all the protestations to the contrary, if the graphics were just blocks and primitives pretending to be a WW2 shooter you wouldn't play it even if it's storyline and gameplay were the best thing since sliced bread. Just wouldn't happen.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#86]
Yup. Nobody is going to even try out a game that looks sucky - and looking at the "true" games this seems to be true... every publisher tries to make the game look nice at least because then someone might buy it even if the gameplay sucks. Pretty screenshots ARE important; they are marketing tools.

How many of you have bought a game just because screenshots were pretty and some XYZ game website said it's o-kay... I bet that quite a few have done that! Better way would be to "test-drive" friends game or something, but few actually bother to do that.

N(Posted 2004) [#87]
i dont care about what it looks like as long as gameplay rocks

Even if the graphics were the equivalent of crap ASCII art?

Oh yes, and where're some more pictures of this? I wants them! :)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#88]
perhaps just a blank screen and imaginary gameplay would suffice?

R0B0T0(Posted 2004) [#89]
Even if the graphics were the equivalent of crap ASCII art?

Well, there's always Nethack (and it's ilk), which despite having 'crap ASCII art' still maintains quite a cult following due to the interesting gameplay permutations.

So there, all you naysayers.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#90]
ive played alot of games that I liked because of gameplay over graphics do not judge what you do not know.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#91]
So there, all you naysayers.

If NetHack cost money, nobody would be playing it.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#92]
I agree with ckob, I prefer gameplay over graphics, Zork, Bards Tale, Ultima 1-3, Wizardry, there are also a large amount of small games out that dont have great graphics that sell well..

Graal, Katsus Journey, etc.

How many people still play Nintendo, Sega Master System, Sony, Game Boy games.

If the story is there, Ill play it. Hence why I still play Wing Commander 1-2, Ultimas, Wizardry, Gold Box D&D games.

Graphics are nice, but not important as alot of people make out.

cermit(Posted 2004) [#93]
Yeah, i still play Megaman from the Nes :D the music and graphics are very retro and i like that alot!

ckob(Posted 2004) [#94]
yeah good point I still play D&D wheres the graphics there :P

R0B0T0(Posted 2004) [#95]
If NetHack cost money, nobody would be playing it.

Well, this may be true, but no one mentioned cost as a factor while jumping on poor ckob.

i dont care about what it looks like as long as gameplay rocks...

You lie.

because everyone cares about the graphics...

Yup. Nobody is going to even try out a game that looks sucky

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#96]
Oh yes, and where're some more pictures of this? I wants them! :)
The team has voted not to release any more images or information on this site, and I agree.

N(Posted 2004) [#97]
Ah, well, that sucks. I understand your decision though.

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#98]
Them maybe you might be able to point us in the direction of where you will be releasing images and information.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#99]
It doesn't suck, it means they're afraid of critictism. And I've seen this pack for sale on TGC, as a wartime pack. What does this mean?

I was looking forwards to perhaps playing a demo and seeing the progress.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#100]
i can understand his decision... although i don't agree with it...

... and i don't want to stir up this cauldron again,

but for whatever reasons, this thread and the images he has shown here have been met with a lil more than just the usual critical remarks...

... there seems to be a viciousness directed at him/his pics that goes beyond the usual stuff.

not everyone mind you... but enough to make halo take his ball and head home...

his personality aside, you can see why he's doing this...

look on the The Game Creator site if you really want to see more... it seems as if this is part of a model/texture theme pak, or something...

--Mike

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#101]
No, it means that any affiliation with this community will just give us a bad reputation on the net. There won't be anything new for a few weeks, but when it is available, it will be at leadwerks.com.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#102]
The team has voted not to release any more images or information on this site, and I agree.

So, you're taking your ball and going home because the kids on the playground said mean things.

Grow up.

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#103]
I don't blame you Halo. There is too much bashing going on in this community. Guys just cut it out. And before you try to justify yourself by saying that it's just honest critism and feedback, look into your heart and try to understand your motives. Are some of these comments really directed to trying to help the dev team on this project or just a cowardly way to get a dig in.
It's stuff like this that's slowly killing this board.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#104]
So what's the answer? False back slapping and hollow compliments?

If you can't take the criticism, don't post anything. Like halo.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#105]
Ok, i'm not defending anyone here, but some people should learn to toughen up a little. You need a thick skin to get through life in general, you need to be able to ignore what people are telling you, or judge when what people are telling you, is right.

To say that this board is dying is rubbish. If i posted a game, and someone said it was crap, i would have a look at it, which halo has done and changed, credit to him :)

But, if Halo and his team can't learn to take a few harsh comments, then that's a shame, because somewhere down the road, someplace, someone is gonna say things that are harsh, and maybe uncalled for. What you gonna do then?

Maybe some people should lay off Halo, but he shouldn't really care if they don't. No-one has said, "Halo, your game totally sucks and is worthless". Most, if not all put across points, all be it, a little harsh, but, they have been helpful points.

Matt2222(Posted 2004) [#106]
It isn't about the criticism. It is about the manner in which the flaws are addressed.

-Matt

Warren(Posted 2004) [#107]
If he wants it suger coated, he shouldn't be on the internet.

It's a harsh world. Grow thicker skin and buy a helmet.

Oh, and don't be an arrogant ass to the people you're trying to impress. It doesn't fly. If you want them to give you head, at least buy them dinner first.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#108]
I think the pic looks pretty decent..... It's something I think I would play.... but...

No, it means that any affiliation with this community will just give us a bad reputation on the net.

That comment just completed my utter disgust with halo. I want to see absolutely nothing he does. I would like very much if he'd just disappear in a puff of ego and never show up again.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#109]
Posting shots here is going to give him a bad rep? I thought Metal and his other games already did a fine job of destorying any rep he had anyway....;)

ckob(Posted 2004) [#110]
"No, it means that any affiliation with this community will just give us a bad reputation on the net. "

so was this even coded in Blitz? I was kinda backing you up on this because I am sick of all the other long time blitz coders ripping on anything new unless your "input kool persons name here" I think this community has grown into a almost cut throat community, like we all are out to put down everyone's work just my opinion tho so it dosnt matter. But Halo why would you say that and yes now it does seem like your backing out just cause a little negitive criticism take it like a man roll your sleeves up and give em all the bird.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#111]
A: Matt, are you and halo dating? If so I understand.

B: There are alot of game developers, and just people with plain common sense, here who know what looks good or bad. So if he doesn't want an honest answer about issues, why does he post?

electronin(Posted 2004) [#112]
There is too much bashing going on in this community
I couldn't have said it better

Matt, are you and halo dating?
Not attacking someone is not nessasarily "dating".

So, you're taking your ball and going home because the kids on the playground said mean things.

Grow up.

Oh, and don't be an arrogant ass
Who's being arrogant?

Personally, I think that most people in this community don't think enough (or at all, in some cases). If people critisize someone like you, Epicboy, you'll probably just blindly deny everything like GWB. However, there are some people who actually listen to things other people say to them.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#113]
If people critisize someone like you, Epicboy, you'll probably just blindly deny everything like GWB.

I've posted things before and when I received feedback (good or bad), I responded appropriately. It's my belief that if you don't want to hear anything bad, you have to forfeit the opporunityto hear anything good (meaning : don't post it).

I'm guessing what happened here is that halo figured when he posted that screenshot we'd all line up for the opportunity to lick his nuts ... we didn't, even going so far as to criticise his work(heavens!), so he stormed off in a huff.

He'll be back in a few weeks to a month with something new to post. He has to feed his ego. He never stays away long.

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#114]
Most, maybe all of the bashing I see, is when Halo comes around. I think it is because of the "KEEP IT INDY BITCHAZ!!!111one" mentality around here. Everytime someone does something amazing, or really cool, some people get up in arms about it.

Lumivel, I don't know if your new to the community, but the reason you see this happening just with Halo, is that in the last few years he's made some statements that were bluntly arrogant, pompous and degrading to the work of many other people here. That's why people are a bit more hostile towards him. I don't have to jump on him because he did something incredibly amazing, because frankly, he didn't. If he hadn't had such a forum history however you would have seen, for example like when filax posted his terrain screenshots, that the community would have responded in a much friendlier way. Don't be worried about the Halo flaming, it's no more then natural. It started around the time he declared himself god and told people that the blitz community wouldn't have gotten anywhere if not for him.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#115]
Looks pretty good to me (I'm guessing the orignial screen has been replaced since this one has stairs). I'm glad to see you're working on a game with a team of artists. I tried to tell you last year (when you were going nuts over art assets) that it could be done and it's cool to see it happening. Please have some good multiplayer ;)

poopla(Posted 2004) [#116]
Not attacking someone is not nessasarily "dating".

Oh you missunderstand, I don't feel he needs to bash halo. I just think he needs to open his eyes.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#117]
No-one jumps on fine work.

No-one jumps on hard work.

People judge to see how competent the person is, and how they come across, and reply accordingly.

Lumivel(Posted 2004) [#118]
Look, I remember what Halo said a while ago, in the thread where he was trying to get a bunch of money to pay a "professional" artist to make a model for people who paid to use, among other things. I understand the hostility, Halo is always making people feel like crap. Saying things such as "...because associating myself with this community will make us look bad..." etc. are bound to put people on the defensive and feed hostility. But when we let our anger get the better of us, and post inflamatory comments, and make statements that we know would piss him off, we are no better than him. I'd like to see this community realize that if he calls us names, or insults our work, so what? Ignoring people that are distasteful to us is the worst thing we can do to them. So, the jerky kid who everyone ignores until he stops being jerky, or the jerky kid who never changes. The choice is yours.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#119]
Just who has been angry? I haven't.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#120]
I don't think anyone is angry at halo or the things he says, we're just tired of both.

SoggyP(Posted 2004) [#121]
Hi Folks,

There's few things I enojoy more on this forum more fun than Halo-baiting but, from my point of view, it's all tongue in cheek(ain't that right Red?). I'm not trying to blow his love-trumpet or anything but I think most of the criticisms are down to the fact it's Halo that's posted the above and not a fair reflection on what the work that's been done. If anyone else had posted the above shot, there would have been a lot less pedantic criticism and undoubtedly a lot more support.

It looks better than anything I've produced and I hope it works out well for him and his team.

Also, I think if you want to be anything more than single-person developers you ought to take note of the reputation this board is getting(I'm saying that based on the above, I didn't even know it had a reputation). If there is perceived bad attitude here, then people ain't going to want to know and work with you.

That's all.

Later,

Jes

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#122]
If you declare yourself to be god and then produce screenshots that resemble a second-rate MoH level then you have to expect some 'honest' opinions.

Grow a spine and take it like a man.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#123]
If anyone else had posted the above shot, there would have been a lot less pedantic criticism and undoubtedly a lot more support.

Well, the flipside of that is that if you're going to puff yourself up and declare yourself a god and the best thing to ever happen to the Blitz community ... you'd better deliver. You're going to be held to a higher standard.

He was held to that higher standard in this thread, and he didn't like it. Simple as that.

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#124]
There's an echo in here....

Warren(Posted 2004) [#125]
And?

R0B0T0(Posted 2004) [#126]
With minimal effort, Halo has succeeded once again in bogging everyone else down in days of pointless bickering while he continues his work and makes money.

It truly is your 'Victory Day', Halo!

Warren(Posted 2004) [#127]
Yeah, because it consumes entire days to make a few snippy remarks in a thread. I'd wager he spent more time in total preparing and posting that screenshot than anyone here has bitching about it.

R0B0T0(Posted 2004) [#128]
Yeah, because it consumes entire days to make a few snippy remarks in a thread.

Well, ok I was exaggerating for effect. But maybe instead of making snippy remarks in threads, we could all take that minute to help out a newbie instead, or post a function to the code archives or something. (Hey don't look at me ;)