village update

Community Forums/Showcase/village update

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#1]
been working hard on the characters and experimenting with grass textures. you will see the wip in the pics below. i still haven't resolved the grass thing totally.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#2]
in pictures 4 and 5 the grass is too hard edged and in the last one I tried a more 'clumpy' approach.
Its a hard thing to get spot on. I am ignoring the z order issue because the grass is very short and you can't really notice it
been redesigning the characters. the old ones didn't quite fit for what i wanted

N(Posted 2004) [#3]
Looks nice.

Also, try using this grass texture (for the sprites) http://s87776868.onlinehome.us/stuff/grass.tga

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#4]
nice texture , but I prefer to develop my own.( thanks anyway)
I have done several versions so far. will take me a few more goes to get it how I want it.
that tex has given a good idea how to improve mine though

puki(Posted 2004) [#5]
I chuffing-well love the look of this "Ruzzer".

Filax(Posted 2004) [#6]
Very very very nice !

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#7]
Nice, original art there. My only criticism is that now, with the shadows in (I presume sswifts system), It looks a bit off. Am I just imagining things? Make sure your player's model isn't floating.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#8]
thanlks for the comments so far guys .been getting a bit bogged down with this recently.
some days it goes really well other days i just get stuck on one thing.

Bot bulider you are right there, there are weird things going on with my characters. its the collision radius or something making them appear above the ground slightly. I will sort it out soon.
Its actually robs flex shadow i am using. soon to be replaced with blobby shadows for all characters.

N(Posted 2004) [#9]
As long as it helps somehow.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#10]
it did noel, thanks man.
Things like grass are deceptively difficult to pull off as i am beginning to find out.
I was looking through jak and daxter today to see how they do theirs.

BTW adam gore has kindly agreed to do the coding for me while I concentrate on the graphics/modelling/animation

puki(Posted 2004) [#11]
Hey, the grass looks okay to me - I think the whole thing is graphically hot.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#12]
yeah... for this type of scene (and game), i also think that the grass is ok...

it's easy to center on the grass (one particular aspect of a scene) because this is a screenshot...

during gameplay, i think that this would hardly be noticed...

really nice work Ruz...

--Mike

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#13]
thanks Puki

Red Ocktober -
Yeah i am getting a bit nitpicky( have to really) and it does look better in game than a static shot
I can't decide whether to go for 'clumps' of grass or 'lush' grass if you get my drift.
i think clumps is more sensible memory wise. i also have a few more plants to go in yet.

cermit(Posted 2004) [#14]
Cool stuff Ruz, i cant wait for a demo!

Algo(Posted 2004) [#15]
Yeah come on Ruz, where's the the demo you slacker.

The new characters and grass look spot on, I like the new feet better too although I think I'd give the jester yellow bells to match his other ones.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#16]
he he I am working as fast as I can . One of these years I will actually have a holiday.

yeah the jesters feet bells should be yellow, just had n't got round to changing them yet.
I need to sort out the hands too.its on my list

cermit,a demo release is now in sight . can't give a time frame but its going quite well right now

Algo(Posted 2004) [#17]
I blame that "adam gore", I've dealt with him before and he's well dodgy.

Athough I hear he's incredibly handsome and a hit with the ladies.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#18]
he he LOL, don't know who you are talking about.

cermit(Posted 2004) [#19]
Greate! Looking forward to it :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#20]
The feet are much better. Maybe the shadow is too dark. Other than that absolutely great - as usual.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#21]
cheers jfk
Adam gore did a great job in recoding the whole thing. we now have blobby shadows which look fine.fx are looking nice too.
When you run you kick up dust if you are on the path. if you are on the grass you will kick up grass etc.
serious thing now is to work out the gameplay.

its still just a shiny graphics demo right now .
I should explain that the main purpose of this was to put together a demo for me to send to potential employers, the game thing was secondary though I would like to try.