FleaFall

Community Forums/Showcase/FleaFall

Berbank(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello Blitz Community,

I'd like to announce the release of FleaFall, the Apprentice (demo) edition.

Any of you interested in trying something a little different, you can download it free here:

www.fleafall.com/download

If you play it, please feel free to post up your comments.

We hope you enjoy it!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#2]
Downloading now to try tonight, but just wanted to say that although the site graphics and tiny screenshots look very cool, you really should get some decent sized shots up! Something tells me it's going to be good though...

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#3]
Trying to download now... it failed the first time after about 900k.

For some reason the screenshots reminded of Bugaboo the Flea on the Speccy!

Clique(Posted 2004) [#4]
hey thats a good game, i just downloaded it. i like the way you can charge up your jump. good job Berbank.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#5]
It's good fun... but personally I would have preffered it to be a scrolling game with a massive map (more like bugaboo). That said, I love the way you can hang of the verticals, that's really cool.

smilertoo(Posted 2004) [#6]
Id also prefer bigger Boogaboo levels, and some sort of jump power meter to make it easier to learn what power is needed for which jumps.

I like the tiny flea graphics, very nice.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#7]
I like it, but I did find stage 3 very frustrating for some reason.

There's a slight problem with your uninstaller - its leaving about 150k of PNG images behind (I think they were the level backgrounds or something).

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#8]
I noticed that uninstaller probelm too Dave. And I agree stage 3 is frustrating.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#9]
Stage 3 is extremely frustrating, they can all do perfect jumps and you have no real way of knowing where you will end up. The jaggy blocks don't help either.

Fun though :)

Midnight(Posted 2004) [#10]
I just want to say it's amazing how many people remember Boogaboo!

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#11]
Download the PC remake here

http://computeremuzone.metropoliglobal.com/fichas/b/bugaboo.htm

Midnight(Posted 2004) [#12]
And just to add: game looks really fun, unfortunately the graphics did not extract correctly (just a mess of pixels on my P1.7 with onboard video).

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#13]
I like it, but maybe it gets a little too hard a little too soon. What's it gonna cost?

Berbank(Posted 2004) [#14]
Hello all,
thanks for all your comments and for giving the game a go.
to answer in order:

James, thanks, you are right I should have screenies for the thumbnails. I do have a reason why I didn't do that, but I don't think it's a very valid one anymore.

Rob, yes Bugaboo is an obvious comparison and of course an inspiration for the game. However, if you play it now, you will hopefully notice this a big departure from that game in almost every way (except there are still fleas naturally). P.S. When is your lander game due? I'm itching to try that out.

Clique, thanks :)

Rob (again). I have had a version with scrolling but I dropped it. The problem with scrolling is that if the orb/any of the other fleas are off screen, you have incomplete information about the playfield. I went for simplicity.

jon. Thanks. We (the fleafall team) have had many discussions about visual meters. In the end, we all agreed it was better without it, although there is an initial learning curve bump to get over. We have got audio feedback in now though.

GfK, cheers. Stage 3 is the hardest, no doubt about it. We put that one in the demo version after much deliberation. In future demo versions we may replace it with a more simple level. Out of interest, which levels do people like most?

Rob, the uninstall will be fixed in the next build.

Perturbatio, it is tricky Stage 3. You can always practice in multiplayer mode with no opponents if you wanted. You can also try out 2 other game modes in the Multiplayer section (Thief and BasketBall)

Midnight, yes! It was a fun game though. Strange that your gfx didn't extract properly. Are all the graphics in the game a mess? Never had this problem before.

eBusiness, around £12.95 (but there is a discount if you can find it in the demo)

Midnight, can you e-mail me a screenshot by any chance?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#15]
Incedentally it would be nice to have an option switch off all the sining text over the play field... it really annoys me! :)

Lander... Pfff... Who knows... I've re-written it a grand total of 7 times now! And there will be a number 8! The game keeps changing what it's all about, I need to have some kind of plan otherwise it'll be rewrite after rewrite!

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#16]
Also... I think there should be a pause between an orb being collected and a new one created... or maybe the new one being created needs to make more of an entrance so you can see where it is straight away.

As an additional game mode, you could have a race mode where you've got a super sprint style race track you have to hop around.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#17]
Race mode, cool idea!

Berbank(Posted 2004) [#18]
I might sort out a special hot key just for you rob, but not until we release, we have enough testing to do already. Look forward to seeing Lander when it's done. More of an entrance might be good, I'll see what I can do.

We have race mode on the cards, as well as a few other features for Champion edition. However we need to sell what we have first before adding more and more features. The next one to go in will probably be the power-ups as we tested them a bit already, but we won't be putting them in the free version.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#19]
Tried this tonight -- very nice indeed! I love the graphical style, and it's very nicely presented.

My main whine would be when you're in a low 'passage', and no matter what you do (tapping or holding the jump key), it takes ages to work your way out. The other thing is that being told at the start of a level to press <- or -> just feels odd (as if there'll be a difference) -- I'd make it 'any key' myself...

I also agree that level 3 was way too hard, but if it's a much later level, no problem.

Overall, one of the higher ranking Blitz games for me! Easy to pick up and very slick presentation-wise.

Filax(Posted 2004) [#20]
Very very nice !!!!

Berbank(Posted 2004) [#21]
Thanks James and filax,

James, the passage thing you refer to seems to bug some people and not others. We've tried to make the levels quite varied and so inevitably there will be bits you won't like as much as others. Also, I take your point on the 'any key' idea, however to make multiplayer work well, we need seperate keys for seperate players. For consistency, we left it as it was.

I'd be interested to see if you still think it's hard. People tend to excel at this game pretty fast.

Thank you very much both of you. At the risk of diverting attention away from FleaFall, I'd just quickly like to mention that one of the guys who worked on FleaFall has his own rather good puzzle game and it's just been updated. If you are interested it's here: www.jigjag.com

Finally, here are new links to FleaFall in case you are having any trouble downloading it:
http://www.bmtmicro.com/cgi-bin/dld/download.pl?file=13920000
http://www.fleafall.com/play

EOF(Posted 2004) [#22]
Fleefall is an absolute gem of a game. Top-notch playability. Nice and addictive.

I'm with James on the 'low passage' bits. How detecting when the flea is under a low passage then making the jump height low (provided the player just taps the direction key)?
Having said that don't tweak the controls too much. They generally work superbly well.

Another thing you might want to consider is adjusting the non-interactive background in some of the levels. Maybe fade it out a little to distinguish it from the platform parts. It can be a little tricky at first to spot which parts of the level the flea can land on. The >space junk< level in particular.

Back to the praises ...

I should be outside enjoying the weather but I can't leave my fleas alone ;-p

Berbank(Posted 2004) [#23]
Thank you for your praise!

Changing the jump mechanics because of a close overhang might not be a good solution, if I explain why I think it's bad, you can then discuss it more if you disagree.

Changing the jump height because something is close and above the flea assumes you will be jumpin straight up. Unless we continuously predict the jump path and adjust height accordingly, the flea might do something unexpected, and therefore annoying.

Any automatic variation of jump height makes the jump trajectory unknown. At least at the moment, you know you will bump your head.

Also, the fixed height is very important for level design, which is one significant distinction between its mechanics and Bugaboo's.

So those are my reasons for leaving it as it is. However, if you do end up getting FleaFall Champion, you can make your own levels and edit the ones you have so that there are less little passages if you like.

Yes, changing the background a little more is something I'll look into after FleaFall Champion is out. In levels that you don't have in Apprentice, we've done other effects such as blurring for background plates. Generally, I prefer the black edge foreground and coloured edge background approach that is in the Chase level (the one with the cat and birds et.c), but each to thier own.

Thanks again, and I'm sure the weather can spare you for a day or two, besides the fleas can get lonely when they aren't exercised regularly...(is that a clue about a possible future feature?)

googlemesilly(Posted 2004) [#24]
this is really original, funny and fun !
the presentation is really professional
and i really like all the cute and funny sounds,
ahh .. (slap!) now i'm seeing fleas everywhere - lol

TroM(Posted 2004) [#25]
nice game! lots of fun!

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#26]
You could introduce a third button, my suggestion the downkey, and then make the vertical start speed something like: maxvertspeed * sqr(1/(1+keydowntime*somefactor)) So if the player doesn't tab the downkey the jump will be like it is now.

EOF(Posted 2004) [#27]
Just some ideas for your championship edition:

a) Stunt levels - Get your flea leaping over flames, smashing through panes of glass, leaping through hoops, bouncing off trampolines, etc ...

b) Moving platforms - Think frogger. Leap onto moving platforms. Avoid other dangerous moving obstacles.
This is probably tricky to implement though(?)

c) Bonus round - Leap of faith. One jump only. Try to land in the safety zone.

d) Powerups:

#1 - Wings > Being able to steer your flea in mid flight.
#2 - Lethal Injection > Touching other fleas puts them out of action for a few seconds.

That's my ideas dried up.

Berbank(Posted 2004) [#28]
Thanks everyone again,

Before I reply: A quick news flash that some people playing Internet games may have experienced a few connection problems. We have fixed this and everything should be running fine very soon (within a few hours if not already). Sorry for any loss of play this might have caused. Up to date news is on our forum www.fleafall.com/forum in the Update folder in News.

Sunshine Dreamer, Thanks, you made me laugh. Very happy you're enjoying it.

TroM, thanks, that's a lovely review.

eBusiness, that's true, but then I'm in danger of getting key lock up when four players are on one machine. I'm not sure the added option of vertical velocity setting is useful enough to remove my USP, but I might give it a try just to see. Thanks for the suggestion

Syntax error, Now you're talking my language. All these things (and more) are what I want to put in the Adventure edition. If we are lucky enough to sell the Champion edition in enough quantities to get us going that is. Feel free to post more inspirational suggestions. If you come up with ones we use that we haven't thought of, and we use them, you may well get a credit.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#29]
I started playing but then I started feeling 'itchy'. i will play again soon

Berbank(Posted 2004) [#30]
eBusiness, your idea has been tried out (sort of), have a look at this thread:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=32919
Controlable velocity and direction.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#31]
Nice game with great packaging.