Community Forums/Showcase/Opinion on this 2d platform game

DjBigWorm(Posted 2004) [#1]
I was hoping that you guys could give me your opinion on this game

here is a screen shot:

Download it:
http://classifieds.mine.nu/modules.php?name=downloads&d_op=getit&lid=16

Thanks for yout time!!

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#2]
Dude that game looks like it was made 15 years ago, why don't you run it in a modern resolution, at least. And I don't think the photo charachter fit for the world, and it should have more frames.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2004) [#3]
I liked it, a good start for a platform engine. Damn teletubbies get everywhere. ;)

DjBigWorm(Posted 2004) [#4]
@ebusiness I will have noted your opinion and I have to agree I was thinking about a 640x480 res is that cool?

@coffeedotbean Thanks for the positive note. Yeah teletubbies can get everywhere!!

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#5]
oh my god thats my amiga days all in one demo....further than i ever got

the basics are there keep going...could nail down the main character to same palette he colour cycles when stood still

fun retro stuff..

DjBigWorm(Posted 2004) [#6]
@Tiler
:)Thank you, That is what I was going for was that retro
look and feel. I thought that the res would make it more authentic. The main character is just a graphics place holder. The final game will just use the scrolling engine and timing controller. Hey, You guys are too kind to let me know what you thought. I hope to release a full game and when bought include the full source code. In blitz of course! Thanks again for the comments

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#7]
Well, if you do want it to look like an old amiga game, then keep the res. But if you want to sell it, then I'm pretty shure you should go for a higher one.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#8]
Couple of points

1) When crouching he won't stay still in the down position.

2) If you punch when walking the animation freezes in a punch frame

Apart from that though looks OK, need some weapons now =)

DjBigWorm(Posted 2004) [#9]
@Ebusiness I got one of my friends to do that acting he got a kick out of it. I just needed him as reference for when I drew the frames to make the character look more realitic. The res will have to go higher i agree. What would be a good res? 640x480 or can I dare go a little lower

@Shambler 1) I forgot to take that out, there was a sound effect he makd him sound like he was "humping" the teletubie's head:) (don't ask the older kids thought that was funny as heck!.) official one won't do that.
2)yeah I noticed that too, with the freezing animation, I will change that. I will also make him stop walking for the time that he punches that way he doesn't do that slide puching act..

Thanks you guys for the feedback

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#10]
I'll say you shouldn't go lower than 640x480, or there could be problems with video cards not supporting the resolution you choose. As computers are these days I think making a 2D in 1024x768 is no problem. But of course, the higher res, the more work making fitting textures.

Réno(Posted 2004) [#11]
Nice job, that's good to see guys making 2D games :)

In a real hand-drawed 2D game, resolution is not a problem : you can make an ugly 800x600, or make a very nice 640x480, or a very very very nice 320x240. Just look at the "Metal slug" ( 320x240 ) or "NBA Jam" ( 400x300 ) !