Beginning 'The Farm'

Community Forums/Showcase/Beginning 'The Farm'

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#1]
Well,

I have just posted my first worklog for almost two years...

This is a family project, which my 12 year old daughter and 10 year old son wanted to embark on, so we have. You can find out more in the worklogs, should you be interested.

IPete2.

Kornflex(Posted 2004) [#2]
Nice work and gratz IPete !

Regards,

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
Looks interesting. What's the concept? Is this a farming sim like Harvest Moon?

EDIT: Duh, I just read in your worklog that this project was inspired by Harvest Moon.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#4]
Looks like your daughter is going to be one hell of an artist one day. Cangrats, working with family is the msot rewarding in the end!

GNS(Posted 2004) [#5]
Very nice indeed. I always loved the Harvest Moon series, in fact, I think I'll go play right now. :)

N(Posted 2004) [#6]
Nifty. As you know, I've the same idea under development. Great to see it's getting somewhere, too :)

googlemesilly(Posted 2004) [#7]
cool job ! :)

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#8]
@ eveyone,

Thanks for your comments, we'll keep putting stuff here and in worklogs as we develop it.

@Noel

I think your's is called 'Crops' isn't it - great title!?

I haven't seen or heard anything from you since you sent me your doc on it - which was ages ago now!

How is it coming along? Ours is very much based on my daugthers and sons wishes and desires for this kinda game. It will be a family game really I think (if we ever finish it).

IPete2.

N(Posted 2004) [#9]
Pete, I honestly can't say that there's been very much going on with it. Most of the focus (for now, at least) has been on getting the engine in ship-shape, so to speak.

It's to the point where I can probably start working on the gameplay code (which will confuse me to no end, I bet).

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#10]
IPete2 ,looks good but I would recommend losing those photographic textures. its would look nice with warmer, more cartoony textures IMHO

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#11]
Ruz,

Yes, Clare my wife has given me the same indication that she feels it would look better more toony. I think my problem may be I find that kinda stuff hard to do, but I will give it a try and see how it pans out.

Then I'll re-post some pictures and see what everyone else thinks too.

I managed to get the farmgirl in better shape over this weekend, her hair is the right colour now (Milkshape imported the texture in such a way it was wrong - that is sorted now).

Next Hollie is going to design the buildings and the animals so we can get a better look at the 'fuller picture'. Your comments are very important because it will determine the way forward for us, so thanks Ruz.

IPete2.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#12]
it looks very inviting... that is to say, it looks like something i would delve into and explore...

nice job...

--Mike

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#13]
Thanks for all your comments people!

I am now reconsidering the landscape - since I purchased TerraEd I may try that out.

The Toony look didnot come out too well, my design skills are too basic Im afraid.

IPete2.