FreeWorld - MMORPG

Community Forums/Showcase/FreeWorld - MMORPG

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey, I've also submitted this to news but wanted to post it here so any comments could be made if wanted.

FreeWorld is currently accepting signups for alpha testing (until the 14th of April).

We have already taken over twice as many signups as we have in any previous signup (over 3,500 so far) and may have to close the signup early. If you want to have a try, or have tested with us before and want to have another look you can signup at www.freeworldonline.com/signup.php

Some screenshots (click for larger version):

More screenshots can be seen here

Background information about the game is available on the site, or try some of the fan sites from the links page for a bit more information.
Also meet the community by going to the official forums or chat

Thanks for reading, any comments?

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#2]
I am kinda off about to get a new computer.

I would love to particpate but I will not be able to start testing untill I get it but I shall sign up ay way will that be ok

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#3]
The next signup won't be until about 4 or 5 months from now, but if you signup now you can play it at any time during the next few months.

Oh, ment to mention the download size (as it may be a problem for some people).
The full install is 105MB, and the minimum is 60.5MB (no music - but can be downloaded and installed seperatly)

GW(Posted 2004) [#4]
did you fix the ZIP bug with with auto updater?

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#5]
If u mean the one causing an unknown runtime exception, then no I'm afraid not. Although we did find that most people that got this installed the game in a place other than the default (which really shouldn't matter, no locations are hard-coded).
Installing in the default location appeared to fix the problem in a lot of cases (not all).

This problem will definelty be fixed at some point, but as it isn't effecting the majority of people it is not a priority.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#6]
I have played this, it is an excellent achievement and deserves everyones support who has time to explore the vast world that is FreeWorld!

IPete2.

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#7]
I think I will sign up later today

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#8]

*(Posted 2004) [#9]
I would signup it looks brilliant, but the download on a 56K modem is a bit of a problem.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#10]
Ed,

ask the guys for a cd or something see if they can oblige if you cover costs.

IPete2.

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#11]
erm, u can ask another tester but the dev team will not offer that.. think how many ppl would then say "but u did it for him" :P

Most of the download sites offer resuming, if thats any help.

*(Posted 2004) [#12]
I will have to dig out the mail and see if it still downloads =), who knows given the current net speeds in this neck of the woods ya might see me on there in 2072 ;)

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#13]
Download links will be being sent out very soon

Zace(Posted 2004) [#14]
KD - I still love playing Freeworld when I can.

How much is written in blitz now and how much in other laguages (C++ i presume) ?

Keep up the excellent work. I find it fascinating seeing how the whole thing is developing and cant wait for the next stage.

Zace.

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#15]
Currently everything has been done in blitz, patcher, login, game, server, editors, etc... however I will be doing the server (if nothing else) again in C++

There are some issues with Blitz TCP/IP support (that I have posted about and email Mark about) still in existance that demand this.. although for speed reasons I would probably do it anyway.

Zace(Posted 2004) [#16]
Awesome. Is your server graphical at all or is it all number crunching etc?

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#17]
I get errors every time I sign up it say It can not send the e-mail and I am sure it is right

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#18]
Zace - basicly just a number cruncher, all it displays is chat and other message, input bar and some statistics

Agamer - what email address are you trying?

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#19]
The one I have with this acount click on my name

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#20]
Ok, i tried your email and got:

Error: problem when communicating with server - Unexpected response: 421 mk-cpfrontend.uk.tiscali.com Service not available - too busy - after connect

Our server tries to send the e-mail directly to your ISPs email server, thats the response its getting when it does that. Its likely to be working later, or perhaps try a different email.

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#21]
Treid it this moning and it now works. That was the same message as I was receving.

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#22]
Good, if anyone else gets a similar problem it is usually only temporary like it was for agamer

Also you can now download the game, goto www.freeworldonline.com/downloads for a list of servers.
If you haven't signed up though, do that to, you need an account to be able to play (their being sent out this Friday).

If you have already signed up you should also recieve a welcome email soon with some getting started information.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#23]
I've tried a few times but never recieve this e-mail it tells me I should be looking for.

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#24]
If you have junk mail filtering check for the emails there, if you want I can check the status of your signup if you give me the email address you're trying to signup with (you can email it to [a mailto:support@freeworldonline.com]support@...] if you prefer not to post it)

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#25]
If anyone else is wanting to signup, then I'm afraid its too late... no exceptions.

Thanks to all those who did signup, and I look forward to seeing you in game in a couple of days :)