ShaderView 0.8

Community Forums/Showcase/ShaderView 0.8

N(Posted 2004) [#1]
Too lazy to write up a body for this thread, so I'll just quote the readme and then shorten it.

ShaderView is a program written for one thing. Viewing
Vein .SHADER and .CVS (Compiled Vein Shader) files. When Shader-
View loads a .SHADER it compiles it into a (sometimes) smaller
.CVS file. This CVS file is then decompiled, or loaded, and the
shaders are shown on 5 objects: a cube, sphere, cylinder, sky sphere,
and plane (which is only visible in the 'walk around' mode).

So, to shorten that description, it loads Vein 'shader' (not really shaders, but I like the name) files, reads them, sticks them on a couple of primitives, and lets you view them. It also spits out a compiled version (*.CVS), just for the purpose of converting CVS back to the normal version, a backup copy that is generated based on what is loaded at the time.

No screenshots, sorry.

Download

If there are any problems, I need to hear about them so I can fix them. There was a memory leak in the last version, so right now I'd like to sort out any problems that are really slowing down the program (besides that it forces use of all 8 texture layers [so that shader swapping is possible]).

And if the archive is corrupted, I'm going to shoot myself in the foot. I really hate being on 56k.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#2]
Noel,

very nice! I love the techplate blue 'electric' shimmer - that is cool!

The dark green and the blue watery looking ones are okay too.

I was getting 130 - 380 fps depending upon which shader I was viewing.

IPete2.

N(Posted 2004) [#3]
Interesting.

Suprises me quite a bit that you get ~200 fps. I almost expected the forced (because it uses all 8 of the layers...) multipass rendering to slow it down. Apparently not that signifigant.

That's good news.

I assume you have a fairly good system?

Pepsi(Posted 2004) [#4]
Cool demo! The techplate is a very cool looking.

On my system, I got around 45-50 with a little jerkiness here and there. The glass thing my fps went up around 170.

system specs is below in me sig.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#5]
There was significant juddering on my machine -

Athlon64, 1 gig ram, RadeonPro 9800XT 128megs

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2004) [#6]
the horrid Memory Access Violation paid me visit on this one...

N(Posted 2004) [#7]
I have no idea why that would have occurred.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#8]
This looks great, and I have the whole VEIN thing downloaded, but is there any documentation? because I don't know where to start with all this.

N(Posted 2004) [#9]
Trust me, dillpickle, if I had the documentation all written up it'd be included with all releases (and probably kept up to date, too). At the moment, it'd be a bit of a task to write up the documentation for 200 objects (that's counting types, functions, and global variables). I've considered asking for help, but I don't think anyone wants to go insane doing this. ;)

Basically, if you have a question regarding some specific part of Vein, then you can ask me or someone else who knows how to use it (I don't think anyone at the moment).

I might use Cod2Doc now, not sure. I did spend about 2 days writing my own little script to make documentation templates (just templates).