So Jaded, need a cure

Community Forums/Showcase/So Jaded, need a cure

Jager(Posted 2004) [#1]
Creating a wargame is tough, after a year and half I'm still only half way through with alot of coding to go .. ug! :( I'm so Jaded!

I suspect this is the reason why I don't see many Empire builder / wargames on this site. Smart people go for simpler, graphic intensive games.

Trust me, eye's bigger than my belly and now I'm choking on it.

But I suppose half that time was spend learning to model in Milkshape so maybe not all that bad.

The problem is I'm sick of it! I'm jaded to hell! help! :( Is there a Jaded cure other than alot of drugs and alcohol? LOL. EEerrrrr.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#2]
How about stopping?

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#3]
best thing to do is have a break, then come back to it fresh

You may just rememeber why you started it in the first place .

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
In the spirit of "User Creations" perhaps you have some screenshots from your game or something you can post?

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#5]
I like those types of games, what have you got left to do?

Jager(Posted 2004) [#6]
Ok, I have done some work. A possible new menu screen?

I wonder how many projects never get completed because of lack of enthusiasm / jaded effect?

http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?log=223&user=3623

Jager(Posted 2004) [#7]
Charlie, has just told me my meshes suck big time ... this is probably true as my priority was FPS with 100's of animation meshes on the screen.

My meshes are VERY low pol (400 vert) and the textures need work to hide the rough corners.

If anyone thinks they can produce high quality, low pol, high quality textured warriors, then I'm all ears .. I may even pay money for animated meshes?

BTW, who the hell is charlie? :)

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#8]
I think the models looks unpolished when viewed alone in the editor, but when you see them all together on the battlefield, it looks spot on. ^^

poopla(Posted 2004) [#9]
I'd be more then willing to help you, if you can send me one of your models with texture to mdconaway1@... .

I will take a stab at refining the textures as much as possible. I'm no animator.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#10]
I wonder how many projects never get completed because of lack of enthusiasm / jaded effect?

Almost all of them. That's the biggest problem with anything more than the simplest of games ... maintaining drive and enthusiasm. Even if you love the game you're making, it's tough to keep up your momentum as the months drag on.

I'd like to offer a solution, but I don't really have one. I will say though that it boils down to project management and having the ability to say "no". Keep the scope of the project reigned in and don't keep adding things on the fly. If you don't have a defined goal, you'll never reach it.

It comes down to the ability to ship. Lots of people can write games. Of those people, only a fraction have what it takes to actually ship/release.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#11]
Even with only 400 vertices you could improve those models quite a bit. At that low resultion obviously the model cannot be very detailed, but at least it could be built with correct overall proportions.

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2004) [#12]
I know how you feel, I have stopped some games, because I got bored of them.
When creating a wargame, I think furturistic wargames are easier, as it is easier to model and animate vehicles, tanks, aircrafts etc. than humans, horses etc.
Btw the screens with all those warriors looks great.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#13]
How many on this forum are fulltime programmers? Think that really is a problem, things do get a lot heavier when you can only program in your spare time. I'm still under education (quit the forum and get back to your rapport), it is simply too hard for me if I have to get on with some game all the time, so by now I almost don't program.

Jager(Posted 2004) [#14]
I'm actually going to leave the models alone for the time being, I can clean them up later, I need to start cutting code again ... when I've revived :)

I think my models can get way with some quality textures, if anyone wants to help? My textures aren't that good at hiding rough edges.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#15]
I work full time as a programmer and work with blitz in my spare time. :)

I'm working on an empire building wargame (4X) as well. I'm lazy so I bought XlntII and BlitzPlay Pro for my gui and networking needs. That helps with the time a bit. And right now I'm fighting scope-creep. I originally wanted it to be a very very simple 2 player game based on the same formula as Master of Orion. Each person started on one side of the galaxy and expanded from there using automatically generated ships based on a random production pool for each planet. With no more than 20 planets. Very very simple. Now it's grown into a (up to) 4 player multiplayer setup in a galaxy with up to 200 planets. Each planet having a Type large enough to choke a horse including such things as taxes, population, ground troops, farming, and other variables. I'm nearing completion on the planet/galaxy code that the planets that are neutral will use. They will basically grow, populate themselves, manage their own governments and expand within their own ecosphere. When it's finished I'm going to turn it loose overnight and see how many planets self destruct into civil war, or annihilate themselves with technology, and which ones become a peaceful utopia. It's kind of "life" on steroids and used as a loose framework for the players to live in the galaxy. Once it's done, the players will actively deal with the variables like terraforming, planetary defense, taxes, etc and be able to direct their empires towards annihilation of "PLAYER TWO". :)

I'm really excited about this one because I'm much further along now than I have been in the past (I've been fiddling with this damn thing since I was a kid). I fully expect I'll finish it in one form or another this time. (crosses fingers).

If your enthusiasm is waning Jager... Look at your code as half full instead of half empty. :)

Kanati

TheMan(Posted 2004) [#16]
I saw you worklog Jager, the screenshot are really great, the only thing I can comment that just add some shadows and light effects, this will give your game a great visual boost,

Keep Going