Knotz(Posted 2004) [#1]
Oh boy. Am i happy with the new vertex weighting:

WIP:

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#2]
yeah realistic bounce and everything ;)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#3]
Looks good. At least you'd die smiling!

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#4]
Any chance of seeing a demo? I have yet to see someone put these new vertex weights on display.

Jason.

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#5]
I have yet to see someone put these new vertex weights on display.

Same here....
(preferably a demo displayin same model with and without it :-/ )

BTW, locely texturing job there, is that supposed to be a stone figure or something?
(thats possibly alive?)

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#6]
@QuickSilva & Genexi:
No, no demo yet. But believe me, it's working fine.

Yup, the're Greek statues coming alive

puki(Posted 2004) [#7]
Are we talking 'realistic bounce and everything' as per 'Dead or Alive' on the consoles - or is it another joke that I am interpreting wrong?

DJWoodgate(Posted 2004) [#8]
I think the whole bounce thing is vastly over-weighted.

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#9]
@Puki:
Well, her brests aren't bouncing because they're from stone, all the other parts move. The best place to appreciate the vertex weighting is at her bottom and shoulders.

puki(Posted 2004) [#10]
Maybe you should rethink the 'stone' idea and make her out of bouncy stuff.

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#11]
@Puki:
Well, being a statue give's her a very distinct way to move and in the context we put her in, it's best to have a nonhuman.

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#12]
bouncy stuff damnit :D

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#13]
the only thing putting me off using weights is the fact that most of my characters are around 1200 polys and I can get away with 'minimal' weighting here.
for example 'red bron'is not weighted and deforms quite well

If i wanted to increase the poly count to 2500-4000 say, then i will get quite a speed hit , so its not worth it for me just now.

but the weighting is nice and works perfect

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#14]
Well, being a statue give's her a very distinct way to move and in the context we put her in, it's best to have a nonhuman.

Question, does she move normally with flow, or is she kinda stiffed up being stone and all?
(kinda like C3PO {Star Wars} with working knees)

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#15]
@Genexi2:
I let her move very humanlike and smooth,but a bit exaggerated and theatric (i don't know the right word in Dutch 'theatraal'), like a marching soldier. Definetely no
C3PO...

@Amon:
No worries, enough bouncy stuff in the game, take a good look at the murals.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#16]
Frap her. (That is, take a little movie with fraps)

Probably see more of us using vertex Weights if we knew beyond technical describtions would actual difference it made in motion.

And, I second the bouncy boobs idea.....

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#17]
Otacon- vertex weighting has no influence on motion at all. it just affects the way arms, legs etc deform.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#18]
Yeah I know, which happens when they(Bones) are in motion. I.e either animating or being moved in code.
I don't mean motion as in the mesh simply moving by it's self.

But a few bones on those breasts, coupled with a few software assisted contrainted particles...waa-hay! :)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#19]
oh ok,sorry its just I got the impression from an earlier post that some people think weighting can make your animations less 'stiff'. wish it was that simple.

I really wish that the max modifier 'flex' worked in game. that would be cool