Marble Insanity

Community Forums/Showcase/Marble Insanity

Mark1nc(Posted 2004) [#1]
I put up a couple images online.
One of the editor in action and a fullview of level 38.

Check out my worklog:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=2284&log=227

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2004) [#2]
*Droooool*

Wicked Stuff.. When? When?

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#3]
that looks really nice

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#4]
BRILLIANT

Been keeping my eye on this one - always loved Marble Madness and especially the construction kit on the Spectrum so I can't wait for this one.

Steve C ™(Posted 2004) [#5]
Looks awesome!

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#6]
Still waiting with quiet anticipation for what looks like it could be a superb remake.

Your shadows look a bit funny though.

9572AD(Posted 2004) [#7]
Level 38?!?

Are you sure you couldn't just release the first 6 for....ahhh...playtesting? ;)

Mark1nc(Posted 2004) [#8]
Thanks folks.

I think I can throw together some kind of demo - I'll just leave out a bunch of the WIP toys, updated graphics & sfx for now.

I just need to modify the controller options (a mouse sensitivity adjuster is needed) and also the (level select/continue/high score) section needs to be fixed.

Maybe next week sometime, if the weekend goes well.

Anthony, the shadows are a bit wonky on that level.
They need to be adjusted.
I usually leave them to the end of the level design process.

I had to paste together level38 snapshot from several in-game snaps. I think I will add the option to snap the whole map from the editor. Maybe I can use the image on the scores screen.

DarkNature(Posted 2004) [#9]
It looks like tremendous fun.

I vaguely remeber a game like this on my BBC Micro. It was great.

Have fun.

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2004) [#10]
/me does a celebration jig at the thought of a demo :)

Sir_LANs-a-lot(Posted 2004) [#11]
Yeah, looking really really nice... Looking forward to a release...

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#12]
After getting hooked with Hamsterball (a game I downloaded a bit ago, basically a marble madness clone usin a hamster in a ball :P ), I cant wait for this game to come out....

Was wondering, how much of a pain was it to get the collision side of the game done with?

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2004) [#13]
do you have the original chink that the amiga one had when you knocked a bad marble off the edge .. muhahaha.

And is the 2player mode still in there. Red and blue marbles :)

That WOULD ROCK!!

Mark1nc(Posted 2004) [#14]
I'm using an isometric map (200X200)
Each 'cell' has a base height and one of 256 tops that have individual corner heights.

The top block image and corner heights are totally changeable in the editor.

On top of that, there are fixed shadow blocks (I was toying with the idea of having the shadows cast on top of moving objects - but it was too much work and too cpu intensive)

There are also tiles for ice, goals and tiles for the shadows on walls.

The game is 2 player.
I can't get 2nd mouse to work on W2K or WXP, but it should work on WinMe and W98.
It functions like the original - if you fall behind, you get transported to where the other player is (incurring a time penalty) - but unlike the original, mine scrolls horizontally too.

I'm still working out some sfx. There are about 60 sfx in so far.

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2004) [#15]
What about network play? 2 mice in that instance :)

Mark1nc(Posted 2004) [#16]
and, yes.. collision was/is a pain.
I'm using a circle/rect collision - only problem is the bottom of the ball goes from a point to a circle as you go up. I didn't want to get too realistic and do a 3D sphere/plane check.
Anyway, it mostly works.

Mark1nc(Posted 2004) [#17]
No network play. :(

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2004) [#18]
Ahh fair enough, it still looks absolutley awesone anyway. You have already done a sterling job on it already.

Looking forward to a release. Great achievement.

JAW(Posted 2004) [#19]
Hey there Mark. The game is still looking awesome and I can't wait to try it out. It looks live you've been progressively putting a lot of work into it. When's it gonna be released eh?

Mark1nc(Posted 2004) [#20]
TV was pretty boring last night. Some of the Idol contestants really suck. So, long story short - I got some work done.

I modified the Options screen. Hitting ESC in game pops up a menu with Music/SFX/Controller Setups and Continue Game/Quit Game options so now you can change things in-game.
I added adjustable mouse/keys/joy sensitivity settings in the preferences to handle various peoples input response.
Fixed a few bugs and made a bunch of minor changes here and there.

Going well, on track for the demo.

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#21]
Wow, the kids will loooove this!

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#22]
it was fun and madness on NES and it will rock the pc too ;)

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#23]
Wow that brings back some memories O.o

big10p(Posted 2004) [#24]
This looks gorgeous! Will the music be anything like the original, too? Those old tunes were great.

Mark1nc(Posted 2004) [#25]
More progress to report on.
I added a function to snap the whole map to a file.
I shrunk them in half, png'd them and put a few online.
Gives you an idea of what can be done with the editor.

See my latest worklog for more details and the link to the WIP images.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?log=227&user=2284

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2004) [#26]
every post on this thread gets me jumping around hoping for a demo.. Tease. Im loosing my marbles here (bad pun unfortunatley intended) :)

Mark1nc(Posted 2004) [#27]
Big10p:
"This looks gorgeous! Will the music be anything like the original, too? Those old tunes were great."

I have created several new tunes in various styles for the different themes (Haunted, Jungle, Escher, Winter, Desert, etc.)
I also have someone (Mike Daw) remaking the original 6 tunes. He a bit of a musician, has a band and all that. He's pretty talented and has produced a dozen original tunes so far.