Dungeon Maker Released!

Community Forums/Showcase/Dungeon Maker Released!

MadMunky(Posted 2004) [#1]
Please download it and let us know what you think, please also try and make a post in the forums with your computers spec and FPS.

http://www.dungeon-maker.com

big10p(Posted 2004) [#2]
40 meg dl!? Yeah, in my 56k dreams! :P

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#3]
It's really only 35.7mb
Have at it.
Now, does the download include source code so people can use your program to make levels for their own game?
;)

MadMunky(Posted 2004) [#4]
No source but the point of the game is its fully editable so you can pretty much remake any dungeon crawler type game.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#5]
Downloading it now, looking forward to this =)

Will Buzz and Tiggy be there? it's been such a long time since we saw each other ^^

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#6]
Ok time for some constructive comments ( I hope ).

I'm not sure I like the movement.
I think it would be better either with movement like the original ( jump one complete cell at a time ) or with totally free movement.
In either case looking with the mouse would be a welcome addition.

The first door with the pressure plate that opens it, sometimes when I step OFF it the door closes on me.

Normally it operates as step on open, step on again, close.

Often there are horizontal lines visible on the floor at the edges of cells.
Are you using cubes for each cell or quads, it looks like you are using cubes and this is what causes the lines to be more visible.

There was another bug which made me fall down the stairs but I think that was because the dungeon is not complete.

Apart from that it looks very promising indeed. =)

MadMunky(Posted 2004) [#7]
Shambler: What map where you player?

As for mouse look, you can you a wheel mouse to look up and down. We did try freemovement but it made you feel sicks after a little while of playing.

Thanks for try it though :)

As for the lines yes we are using cubes :(

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#8]
Map was dungeon master map.

MadMunky(Posted 2004) [#9]
Did you try the main game map or my madmunky map?

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2004) [#10]

I'm not sure I like the movement.
I think it would be better either with movement like the original ( jump one complete cell at a time ) or with totally free movement.
In either case looking with the mouse would be a welcome addition.

Munky, couldnt this be an option in the game editor, you can choose the way that the engine does the movement per game. That way something like dm2 that has a 2step movement can be handled, dm/csb can have a 1 step movement and someone remaking something like stonekeep could have the smooth transition style movement.

Hope that makes sense.

In that area, the mouseFreeLook could also be an option as could the wheel up and down.

Thoughts anyone?

A

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#11]
Not sure Munky, I was in the hall of champions but some of the walls were missing and sometimes I could see the sky.

At work now so I can't try it but will have another look tomorrow.

puki(Posted 2004) [#12]
Ooh, I missed out on the release. Am downloading the sucker now - will have to leave this baby running for a couple of hours methinks.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#13]
Good lord that is messy. Getting attacked, see no enemy, when I see an enemy I can't attck (or at least don't know how). Various holes everywhere. And noone have used one plane square blocks for ten years now.

MadMunky(Posted 2004) [#14]
eBusiness: I take it you dont play these type games.

Getting Attacked and seeing no enemys: How long have you been walking for you proberly need to rest

Holes?

Sqaure Blocks: Rememeber this is a update for games like Dungeon Master / Bloodwych which all use sqaure based movement, freemovement makes you fell sick in games like this.

Zmatrix(Posted 2004) [#15]
Awsome stuff.
But is it legal to use the wizardy 8 charater portraits like that, even in a public domain or free release?

If you need charater portraits let me know..I can do some and have a few artist freinds who would probably help :)

The Dungeon master levels look pretty much dead on.

Now I have to go try and rip some textures from wizardry 6&7 screens and make some maps. heh

Reminds me of the later Raycasted step rpgs like ravenloft and Stone prophet.(cept ofcourse this looks alot better)
and you could use freemovment in those games aswell...but it worked much better in Step mode.

the arkania series was similar also.

anyways...good stuff, keep it up :)

Zmatrix

MadMunky(Posted 2004) [#16]
Im not sure about all the graphics we used, there where found at different places and we lost track. It does say on the website though if any one owns the copyrights to anythink we have used in the game we will be more than happy to remove it.

As for graphics help we could really do with some 2d artists for portraits and texturing if your interested drop me a email my address is on the dungeon-maker.com site.

Thanks for the kind words and I hope you enjoy DM and drop by are forums :)

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#17]
Well, try documenting the controls. To me, this game seems very much "stuck in past", being just somewhat addictive doesn't hurt anybody.

AndyBoy_UK(Posted 2004) [#18]
I fell off the map mate, I went downstairs in teh DM map and all sorts of weird stuff happened.

To attack, click your enemy on the screen (at least that killed the mummy that I found).

:)